Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,390,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmac15 View Post
Ill be paying for College but will be taking out loans and have grants to cover some of the cost. My 4-6k will only be for "spending". I figure the money i make working full time will be for every day use and rent and car payment, as long as im in school my mother will be covering insurance. My back up plan if personal training didn't go as planned would be to work at GNC or something like that, i have a vast knowledge of supplements and nutrition, and also decent sales experience from working at Verizon for two years while going to school. Currently I'm just working full time saving up money for the move if that is made.
Yeah, if you have that "nut" covered then I think you will be fine. Your expenses sound really limited, especially with living with your uncle and him covering most costs. You have a pretty ideal situation.

You also sound like you have a game plan and thought it out. If you're coming out with a full-time job you should be fine.

I'd just Google every single gym and start contacting them and use your Uncle's address in San Diego and his local phone number or get a Google Voice # with a local area code for your resume. Or you could go ahead and just change your phone number to San Diego with your cellphone carrier. That's easy enough as well.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 01:43 PM

64 posts, read 107,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Yeah, if you have that "nut" covered then I think you will be fine. Your expenses sound really limited, especially with living with your uncle and him covering most costs. You have a pretty ideal situation.

You also sound like you have a game plan and thought it out. If you're coming out with a full-time job you should be fine.

I'd just Google every single gym and start contacting them and use your Uncle's address in San Diego and his local phone number or get a Google Voice # with a local area code for your resume. Or you could go ahead and just change your phone number to San Diego with your cellphone carrier. That's easy enough as well.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice I appreciate i it, Yeah I've been thinking this move for a while. I moved to Denver right after high school and that was a huge mistake, no plan no goals just a total mess.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,977,370 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice I appreciate i it, Yeah I've been thinking this move for a while. I moved to Denver right after high school and that was a huge mistake, no plan no goals just a total mess.
Well, you've got one thing going for you. You learned from your experience.

A lot of people make the same mistakes over and over again and don't learn from them.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,390,954 times
Quote:

Hey we all make mistakes in life. As long as you learn from them.

Unlike a lot of people that are thinking about moving here at least you took some time formulating a plan and most importantly you have family here that you can lean on. Don't underestimate how lucky you got there and don't get on your uncle's bad side.

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, looks like if every thing goes as planned, Aiming for a move in middle to late July.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Personally, as I mentioned, having your uncle to stay with for only $300 makes all the difference in the world. It sounds like you're going to have very limited expenses. If you're only paying $300 in rent and you only have some minimal car payment. But I'd imagine you have car insurance as well. Plus don't underestimate all the little stuff that adds up. Or if you plan to have a social life, it can add up. Just do yourself a favor and make up a budget of what you actually spend each month including gas, any possible health insurance, etc.

But it sounds like you're not moving out here just trying to find a job. You're going to be going to college and furthering your education. You mentioned the community college route which is smart to save money at least in the beginning.

Will you be paying for your college education with that savings amount you are talking about? Or is that totally separate? I'd have to imagine you're not counting this expense in your savings? Or are you saying you have to pay for your college expenses with your salary for your full time job? If something happens and you lose your job, will your parents or uncle help you with your tuition? Do you have a "back stop" if something happens with your job?

What makes this totally doable is being able to stay with your uncle for almost next to nothing. But I guess it all depends if you're saying you're expected to pay for your college tuition on your own with the full time job.

As far as car registration estimates, you can find it at this link: Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator
So quick question here, its looking like it will be around $250 bucks to get my Car registred in San Diego, Does that sound correct?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,977,370 times
Quote:
So quick question here, its looking like it will be around $250 bucks to get my Car registred in San Diego, Does that sound correct?
I went back and looked at the checks I wrote to the DMV. I wrote one for $31 for my driver's license, and $116 for the registration and tags. And the tags I selected were the Coastal Commission ones so they cost more. Add in another $50 or so for the smog test.

So a shade under $200 is what it cost me.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 AM

15,130 posts, read 32,361,461 times
Quote:
You won't know exactly until you go to DMV. You'll also have ti get a CA driver's license. I paid $81 to register my van last year. Also, don't just walk into DMV without an appointment, because you'll be there all day. You can do this online, and print out the forms that you need (except for the CDL), and take them with you. It makes things go much more smoothly.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You won't know exactly until you go to DMV. You'll also have ti get a CA driver's license. I paid $81 to register my van last year. Also, don't just walk into DMV without an appointment, because you'll be there all day. You can do this online, and print out the forms that you need (except for the CDL), and take them with you. It makes things go much more smoothly.
Thanks for the heads up on the appointment!!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:44 PM

15,130 posts, read 32,361,461 times
An appointment will make your transition go very smoothly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: