Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:46 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,706,548 times

Advertisements

Just read MLB has approved the sale of the Padres to a new ownership group that includes a family who used to own the Dodgers.

Hopefully this means they'll spend some money and build a good team. I would love to see the Padres dominate the NL West and beat up on the Giants.

MLB approves sale of Padres | UTSanDiego.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,749,243 times
That group also includes local golfer Phil Mickelson.

Someone said that he mentioned on the radio this morning that the new salary budget could 'easily hit $100M', vs. $40M (what it is today).

Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,752,648 times
I look forward to seeing what the new owners have in store for the organization. John Moores seemed okay in the beginning, but once his divorce hit, he didn't seem to care anymore.

Last edited by sdurbanite; 08-16-2012 at 05:42 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 05:28 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,706,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
That group also includes local golfer Phil Mickelson.

Someone said that he mentioned on the radio this morning that the new salary budget could 'easily hit $100M', vs. $40M (what it is today).
It's always great when you have a local icon like that as part of the ownership group. I thought I heard Tony Gwynn wanted a stake too but didn't see him mentioned in the sale.

The Padres aren't doing that bad lately either, 7-3 in their last 10. Last time I heard they had a winning record since June or the All-Star Break, something like that so they got a decent team but just started off really bad. A $100 million can get you a really good team with the right management, just don't want to end up like the Marlins or something; high payroll with a losing record.

SD has a great ballpark, just gotta get a good team and more fans to come out.

Now if only the scumbag owner of the A's would sell too I'd be really happy.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:28 PM

9,826 posts, read 11,575,114 times
Although he was a great philanthropist,he's was Terrible owner.
Thank god he's gone.
Padres are looking good

Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's always great when you have a local icon like that as part of the ownership group. I thought I heard Tony Gwynn wanted a stake too but didn't see him mentioned in the sale.

The Padres aren't doing that bad lately either, 7-3 in their last 10. Last time I heard they had a winning record since June or the All-Star Break, something like that so they got a decent team but just started off really bad. A $100 million can get you a really good team with the right management, just don't want to end up like the Marlins or something; high payroll with a losing record.

SD has a great ballpark, just gotta get a good team and more fans to come out.

Now if only the scumbag owner of the A's would sell too I'd be really happy.
Tony Gwynn helped find the right ownership group. He pitched this one.

SD has brought up most of its marquee prospects recently, which came by way of Latos, AGone, and other trades. They had arguably one of the best farm systems coming into the season.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:03 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,978,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
SD has brought up most of its marquee prospects recently, which came by way of Latos, AGone, and other trades. They had arguably one of the best farm systems coming into the season.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Yes, a number of younger players are up. Grandal, Cashner, and Wieland are a few of the them. But they're on injured reserve.

But a lot of the ones who everyone is really stoked about, like Kelly and Spangenberg, haven't come up yet.

We'll probably see Kelly soon. Ohlendorf isn't getting it done. Everyone else has an ERA of 4.5 or below, which is what you get when you deliver the three runs or less over six innings. His is around 6.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:17 PM

6,898 posts, read 8,952,777 times
Gywnn was aligned with a different ownership group that withdrew. It would be nice to now get him involved more in this new organization, in addition to his broadcasting role. His SDSU gig supposedly is not going too well. He seems a very good guy.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Yes, a number of younger players are up. Grandal, Cashner, and Wieland are a few of the them. But they're on injured reserve.

But a lot of the ones who everyone is really stoked about, like Kelly and Spangenberg, haven't come up yet.

We'll probably see Kelly soon. Ohlendorf isn't getting it done. Everyone else has an ERA of 4.5 or below, which is what you get when you deliver the three runs or less over six innings. His is around 6.
I was more focused on people who could hit over the Mendoza line, so you might be right about the pitchers.

Petco is a pitcher's heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Gywnn was aligned with a different ownership group that withdrew. It would be nice to now get him involved more in this new organization, in addition to his broadcasting role. His SDSU gig supposedly is not going too well. He seems a very good guy.
You can't say baseball and San Diego without mentioning Gwynn. Very good guy is an understatement.

I thought he endorsed this group. I've been wrong before (my wife always reminds me ).

Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 PM

9,826 posts, read 11,575,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
His SDSU gig supposedly is not going too well. He seems a very good guy.
It's not going well
He's going to quit or be fired before the end of next the year.
Recruiting hasn't gone well for tony at State.
I might also add they're not reaching out to these local high school kids either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego