Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 11:03 PM

4 posts, read 7,403 times

Advertisements

Hi, 31 year old male in the Navy who will be working at the Imperial Beach base.

I've never been to California or San Diego for that matter, and I'm researching where to seek rooms for rent. I've been on craigslist.org and have seen many a listing, but I haven't a clue as to what area to really consider.

I've heard commute times are horrid, and that is something I definitely want to consider. I also have no understanding of where the decent neighborhoods are at (I'm not a big party person, but am sociable).

Any advice that's probably been answered before, would be greatly appreciated in this thread.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:05 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,594,999 times
Well just to say this,South Bay commutes aren't that bad compared to North County,but still pretty bad.55 mins from Mission Beach to Chula Vista today.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:07 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,712,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvas View Post
Hi, 31 year old male in the Navy who will be working at the Imperial Beach base.

I've never been to California or San Diego for that matter, and I'm researching where to seek rooms for rent. I've been on craigslist.org and have seen many a listing, but I haven't a clue as to what area to really consider.

I've heard commute times are horrid, and that is something I definitely want to consider. I also have no understanding of where the decent neighborhoods are at (I'm not a big party person, but am sociable).

Any advice that's probably been answered before, would be greatly appreciated in this thread.

Many thanks!
if you are a church person, go to local church of your belief and ask for help they would love to have a new member.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
if you are a church person, go to local church of your belief and ask for help they would love to have a new member.
stephen s
san diego ca
Thanks? Was looking for areas to look for. I'm not a church goer...

Old 10-04-2007, 08:54 PM

8 posts, read 37,226 times
well since you will be working at imperial Beach---There are many appartments ,condo's and homes available right there. i have lived there for over 30 years and can tell you that there is good access to freeways and also mass transit to all areas of the city and county for recreation. Depends on what you really like to do----everyting is available from surfing ,restrants /fine dining and even a trip to down town san diego is only 15-20 min away

Old 10-05-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsant5 View Post
well since you will be working at imperial Beach---There are many appartments ,condo's and homes available right there. i have lived there for over 30 years and can tell you that there is good access to freeways and also mass transit to all areas of the city and county for recreation. Depends on what you really like to do----everyting is available from surfing ,restrants /fine dining and even a trip to down town san diego is only 15-20 min away
That's the stuff I was looking for. So no worries on living in Imperial Beach?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Jax

108 posts, read 640,587 times
I personally wouldn't want to live in Imperial Beach or IB...I hope I'm not offending anyone, but it had more of a ghetto feel to me. Maybe you could rent a place in Coronado and then just hop on the 5 south or take the scenic drive down the Silver Strand to get to work. Shouldn't be too bad of a commute. Coronado is also a navy area with NAS North Island right there and all. My husband used to work there. Rent isn't always as ridiculously priced on Coronado Island as you would think...buying is next to impossible, though. Depending on where you go, IB may not be that bad, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego