Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:47 PM

11 posts, read 75,243 times

Advertisements

hello,
I know this is SD forum but since it's near the border with Mexico, you local people may be able to help me out about Tijuana.
I've read that water in Tijuana isn't safe - even for brushing your teeth.
How do you manage? do I have to buy tons of water bottle? this sucks... since I'll be there for a month at least.
Will a water filter like Brita work with their tap? or it's still too contaminated?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 01:00 AM

989 posts, read 2,459,958 times
Umm I don't know much about Tijuana but off the top of my head, I'd definitely suggest using bottled water for everything. Mexican water isn't safe - also avoid getting drinks with Mexican ice. Unless you can verify that the ice water was purified first.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,890,824 times
My former co-worker lives in TJ and commutes to San Diego. He says they have to have bottled water delivered to their house to use for everything, so I'm thinking the Brita isn't going to work. Just buy gallons of purified water (in the US) to take with you.

V. =)

Old 08-26-2007, 02:52 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,607,160 times
Yeah.Bottled water is the way to go.TJ water is bad.That's why IB is one of the worst beaches as of pollution in the state!!!The water supply goes from Tijuana into the TJ river then IB.VeronikaW has a point.By gallons of PW.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:17 PM

488 posts, read 1,182,954 times
Just drink beer.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:24 PM

87 posts, read 703,403 times
TJ water will make you sick as a dog and then blow chunks all over the place.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:21 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,702,476 times
Depends on how much time you want to spend on the toilet!!! lol

Old 08-29-2007, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 22,922 times
They make tablets you can put in the water to "purify" it. I beleive they usually use them for stream water but it's the same concept. They water makes you sick because of the high bacteria content...so if you kill the bacteria you're ok.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:08 AM
SDF

52 posts, read 246,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpie View Post
hello,
I know this is SD forum but since it's near the border with Mexico, you local people may be able to help me out about Tijuana.
I've read that water in Tijuana isn't safe - even for brushing your teeth.
How do you manage? do I have to buy tons of water bottle? this sucks... since I'll be there for a month at least.
Will a water filter like Brita work with their tap? or it's still too contaminated?

thanks.
Indeed, stay at least 10 feet away from TJ municipal water ! Or at least any application that involves taking it internally or putting it in your mouth. Blowing Chunks, being on the toilet, etc. are very valid concerns. BUY BOTTLED WATER, I'm not sure you have to bring it from SD, TJ has plenty of stores with good bottled water.

As far as TJ crime, during the day it's pretty safe, at night you've gotta be pretty careful. Much of the city is pretty much a dump, trash everywhere, graffitti, some good folks but plenty of crooks and criminals lurking at every turn. I've been in TJ enough to see it, and I have a buddy who lives there. He hasn't had any serious issues come up yet, he's been harassed a couple of times by the cops, and had his wife stared down by groups of jerks while out in public with her. But hey, at least the rent is cheap. Such is life in TJ.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 16,122 times
Water gets delivered to your house in 5-gallon jugs--much cheaper and easier than bringing from the US. I live in Guatemala and it's the same in most of Latin America. We use it for drinking, boiling pasta, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: