Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 AM

50,696 posts, read 47,553,788 times

Advertisements

The expanding foam works great for any cracks. I had some scary bartender chick move in next to me who was a chain smoker. The very first night our smoke detector went off due her smoking at 2 am. Thrilling! I noticed it coming in from a space where the walls met the ceiling. That helped a lot with the foam. It didn't help the horrid sounds of her and her every night a different guy sounds

I eventually asked the mgmt to move me to another apt after she left a cig on her clock radio and almost burned down the building.

Ask for another apt based on medical conditions. If they refuse you should be able to bust your lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,953,175 times
Here's what you have to work with [so far] in California:
Quote:
The Center for Tobacco Policy & Organizing
Matrix of Local Smokefree Housing Policies
November
Smokefree housing is the next frontier in California’s ongoing effort to protect its citizens from secondhand smoke. Although California has made great progress in getting secondhand smoke out of workplaces, for the many Californians who live in multi-housing units breathing second-hand smoke which drifts from neighboring units, balconies and outdoor areas has become a real health problem ...

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...ber%202011.pdf
Quote:
If you are a tenant and are suffering from drifting secondhand smoke in your unit, there are steps you can take to work with your neighbors and landlord to adopt a smoke-free policy for your building.

In addition, if you have a medical condition made worse by secondhand smoke drifting into your apartment, federal and state disability laws might help you address the problem. Depending on the nature of your disability, your landlord may be required to make changes to reduce your exposure. For more information, click here How Disability Laws Can Help Tenants Suffering from Drifting Tobacco Smoke | ChangeLab Solutions

For additional resources for both tenants and landlords, check out these resources
Additional Resources - TobaccoFreeCA
And, finally, share this with your landlord:
Smoke-free policies could save landlords up to $18 million a year in cleaning costs / UCLA Newsroom

Old 10-03-2013, 03:41 PM

2,692 posts, read 3,723,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Get incense and use them when a large burst of stink comes into your place, that is the only time I use them.

Get some of those plug-in, scented, oil warmers, they smell pretty (vanilla) good and do a darn good job of covering up that ashtray stink.

Incense and any plug-in oil warmers are very toxic.

What she needs to do it air out her apartment regularly and spray in the air with one part filtered water/one part vinegar. (Watch the wood furniture and upholstery.) That helps a great deal.

She also needs to move into a no-smoking apartment complex. That would really solve the problem. If you knew your complex allowed smokers, why did you move there??

Last edited by Fran66; 10-03-2013 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,062,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post

What she needs to do it air out her apartment regularly and spray in the air with one part filtered water/one part vinegar. (Watch the wood furniture and upholstery.) That helps a great deal.

She also needs to move into a no-smoking apartment complex. That would really solve the problem. If you know complex allowed smokers, why did you move there??
Yeah, air fresheners and incense is just layeriing another layer of grossnes on top of the problem.

And yes, moving is really the only option. If the complex allows smoking there's nothing you can do.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:07 PM

22,710 posts, read 24,788,858 times
Quote:

She also needs to move into a no-smoking apartment complex. That would really solve the problem. If you knew your complex allowed smokers, why did you move there??

NO, they are not VERY toxic. And your body can handle a reasonable about of junk...no problem.

Just burn the incense when you are not in the house if you are so scaredy pants.

I have lived in plenty of so-called "no-smoking" apartments............the no-smoking rule is NEVER enforced......try again.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:27 AM

371 posts, read 640,266 times
I find it really funny that this thread got resurrected this week. The smoking neighbor moved out a few days ago.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I don't know if you're referring to me (the original post is from 2011) or the people who posted again this week, but not every complex has such porous walls. As I said in my post, I had no idea so much smoke was going to come upstairs -- the people living downstairs in previous years were nonsmokers, and the management when I moved in tended not to have too many smokers in the building. Management changed after I moved in.

Moving also costs money. Health and financial issues have prevented me from getting enough together for a deposit.

Last edited by Jehjeh; 10-04-2013 at 02:06 AM..

Old 10-05-2013, 01:07 PM

30,954 posts, read 37,174,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
I don't know if you're referring to me (the original post is from 2011) or the people who posted again this week, but not every complex has such porous walls. As I said in my post, I had no idea so much smoke was going to come upstairs -- the people living downstairs in previous years were nonsmokers, and the management when I moved in tended not to have too many smokers in the building. Management changed after I moved in.

Moving also costs money. Health and financial issues have prevented me from getting enough together for a deposit.
So, how did you cope with the second hand smoke over the last 2 years? Did you take any of the suggestions?

Old 10-05-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
So, how did you cope with the second hand smoke over the last 2 years? Did you take any of the suggestions?
I tried using natural scents (essential oils, smoker's candles, etc.) to cover things up, which didn't work too well, but then the guy reduced the amount that he smoked and wasn't home that much anyway. He became a bit predictable, too, which helped. So it was still annoying, but I was able to deal with it.

Who knows who the next neighbor will be, though. The guy who just left might have been annoying, but I'd figured out how to deal with him and knew what to expect.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:59 PM

30,954 posts, read 37,174,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
I tried using natural scents (essential oils, smoker's candles, etc.) to cover things up, which didn't work too well, but then the guy reduced the amount that he smoked and wasn't home that much anyway. He became a bit predictable, too, which helped. So it was still annoying, but I was able to deal with it.

Who knows who the next neighbor will be, though. The guy who just left might have been annoying, but I'd figured out how to deal with him and knew what to expect.
I'm glad you figured out how to deal with him and that it wasn't too bad. I'm glad to hear he started smoking less. I wonder what prompted that? Good news in any case.

I totally understand why you wouldn't move. Moving is expensive and the rent in your new place is almost always higher than the rent at your old place, so if your income is limited, you end up feeling kinda stuck.

Hopefully, the new neighbor will be a non-smoker and a nice neighbor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego