Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:06 AM

14 posts, read 39,898 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently in the process of moving to San Diego and am curious as to the spots that would best suit a 24 year old, single, young professional. I am looking for a place to live close to the water, where many people my age live and enjoy going out and having fun. Any insight would help. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,523,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottth1 View Post
Hello,

I am currently in the process of moving to San Diego and am curious as to the spots that would best suit a 24 year old, single, young professional. I am looking for a place to live close to the water, where many people my age live and enjoy going out and having fun. Any insight would help. Thank you!
PB, thread over.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:43 AM

115 posts, read 231,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
PB, thread over.
If you live in Pacific Beach, is it still easy to access other nightlife districts, such as the Gas Lamp?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:04 AM

116 posts, read 251,818 times
depends on how far in you live.

i live in east pb, i get on the 5 in seconds. it takes me about 7 minutes to reach downtown, with no traffic. if you live near the beach, it could be problematic when there is traffic, such as during a major holiday, event, or crowded beach weekend.

if you are a male looking to meet women in your neighborhood, i will say pb is extremely overrated. everybody says pb because that's all they know. it's beachy, you see bikinis, but MEETING women is not going to be as easy as moving there, i assure you.

some areas for meeting women, little italy, better areas of north park, ocean beach(depending on the kind of women you like), the northern beach cities, even areas like la mesa where the budget conscious women live. Living in Little italy has no beach to walk to, but it's a pretty cool area, mixed up very well, nice local bars where you can really mingle and meet people.

Really depends on what kind of beach life you want, and what kind of women you are hoping to encounter. These days, I would rather live near the beach in Solana Beach or Encinitas/cardiff because the beaches are better up there, and they are more favorable places to meet women, not just look at them.

Depends on where you are commuting too really, and wrapping it up all together conveniently

Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0t View Post
depends on how far in you live.

i live in east pb, i get on the 5 in seconds. it takes me about 7 minutes to reach downtown, with no traffic. if you live near the beach, it could be problematic when there is traffic, such as during a major holiday, event, or crowded beach weekend.

if you are a male looking to meet women in your neighborhood, i will say pb is extremely overrated. everybody says pb because that's all they know. it's beachy, you see bikinis, but MEETING women is not going to be as easy as moving there, i assure you.

some areas for meeting women, little italy, better areas of north park, ocean beach(depending on the kind of women you like), the northern beach cities, even areas like la mesa where the budget conscious women live. Living in Little italy has no beach to walk to, but it's a pretty cool area, mixed up very well, nice local bars where you can really mingle and meet people.

Really depends on what kind of beach life you want, and what kind of women you are hoping to encounter. These days, I would rather live near the beach in Solana Beach or Encinitas/cardiff because the beaches are better up there, and they are more favorable places to meet women, not just look at them.

Depends on where you are commuting too really, and wrapping it up all together conveniently
Wow, San Diego has a Little Italy? That is awesome (I am Italian-American)!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,291,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post
Wow, San Diego has a Little Italy? That is awesome (I am Italian-American)!
Yes. Its literally "little" and a handful blocks worth of neighborhood. 2 of those streets are actually where anyone would actually spend any time if you dont live there.
More likely you take a date there than party. Gaslamp is more suitable to bar/club hopping.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Yes. Its literally "little" and a handful blocks worth of neighborhood. 2 of those streets are actually where anyone would actually spend any time if you dont live there.
So it's more of a novelty? Well, that's more than we have in Atlanta. That is a very pleasant surprise as I did not expect that from a west coast city. Does San Diego have a Chinatown?

Quote:
More likely you take a date there than party. Gaslamp is more suitable to bar/club hopping.
How would you compare Gaslamp and Pacific Beach nightlife?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 AM

116 posts, read 251,818 times
our little italy isn't very italian, but the food is great

actually the bars in little italy are GREAT to meet women in. Many women go there to AVOID the douchebags of PB and gaslamp. I would say he has it backwards actually. it's better to take your date to gaslamp to a club or to PB after you meet her in a local spot in Little italy or South park. Much easier to meet women in the satellite neighborhoods.

These days, clubbing in socal is more about being with your group, not really socializing. Clubs now aren't setup for socializing anymore. The bars downtown are better to mingle, but the ratios will be even worse.

Gaslamp has variety, from big clubs with dress codes to low brow bars.

PB is mostly low brow bars, frat boys, and stuff like that. Less versatility than downtown, but that's not a bad thing necessarily.

san diego doesn't have a china town per se, but we have many areas where you can get the gist of that. Restaurants that immigrants support, the import markets, etc. I'm from NYC

Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,291,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post
So it's more of a novelty? Well, that's more than we have in Atlanta. That is a very pleasant surprise as I did not expect that from a west coast city. Does San Diego have a Chinatown?

How would you compare Gaslamp and Pacific Beach nightlife?
Little Italy is what it is. There are some great Italian shops there but its nothing like what you would find in other large metro cities. Even the Little Italy in NYC is pale in comparison to when I was little growing up in there.
Little Italy in SD used to be much bigger before the 5 freeway split it up years ago. Its more scaled back and it is far more conducive to a romantic date or having a conversation than doing a straight up boozer with lots of screaming and yelling. There are just not as many distractions.

No "Chinatown". There is a Chinese Historic district Downtown on 3rd Ave. I used to live in the building that housed the Chinese Historic museum there. Its not a place you roll up and get Bao or anything like that, its just historic. Most of Asian markets in SD proper are off of Convoy ST outside the City core or along University/El Cajon Bl near City Heights.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0t View Post
our little italy isn't very italian, but the food is great

actually the bars in little italy are GREAT to meet women in. Many women go there to AVOID the douchebags of PB and gaslamp. I would say he has it backwards actually. it's better to take your date to gaslamp to a club or to PB after you meet her in a local spot in Little italy or South park. Much easier to meet women in the satellite neighborhoods.
Maybe the ratio seems bad because there are so many places to go out. In Atlanta, we only have 3 nightlife districts, but it sounds as if SD has around 10.

Quote:
These days, clubbing in socal is more about being with your group, not really socializing. Clubs now aren't setup for socializing anymore. The bars downtown are better to mingle, but the ratios will be even worse.

Gaslamp has variety, from big clubs with dress codes to low brow bars.

PB is mostly low brow bars, frat boys, and stuff like that. Less versatility than downtown, but that's not a bad thing necessarily.
Are the ratios in PB worse than Gaslamp?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego