Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 7,922 times

Advertisements

I'm 21 and will most likely be moving from Louisville Kentucky to San Diego in the fall of 2011 to finish school out at SDSU. I have a few friends and family out there already but basically won't no anyone in my daily life. I plan on living in Sterling Collwood apts. with which they have a roommate matching program so I should be set with a few people that know the area well. I am very laid back and while I'm slightly conservative politically, I have been living in a more liberal area at Indiana University in Bloomington Indiana and I love that scene with the younger, partying crowd. I'm very laid back, love the beach, surfing, going to bars and clubs. I just want out of the scorching hot summer and freezing winter as well as the hell hole we call allergy capital of the world here in Louisville. Do you think San Diego will be a good fit for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 05:04 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,361,461 times
Sounds like PB would be a good fit for you.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:14 PM

745 posts, read 1,569,650 times
I think San Diego will be fine for you and you should do well in the apartment by SDSU that you have chosen which does roommate matching. SDSU is a quick trip down Freeway 8 to the beach.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:49 PM

4,545 posts, read 12,417,741 times
You sound like a perfect fit for San Diego.

Most people find that their allergy symptoms are a lot milder in San Diego. As long as the pollen free air blows in from the ocean you will do much better than where you are now.

I know the street your apartment building is located on. It's a perfectly fine area. It's not a neighborhoody location, so you might miss that unless you can walk out the back side of the complex, into the West College neighborhood. However, it's perfect for getting to school quickly, whether you walk, bike, skateboard, or roller skate. Unfortunately, part of that trip is uphill so that might nix the roller/skate/board method.

Culturally, San Diego will probably be less religious than what you are used too. Politically, outside of the school environment San Diego is moderate to moderate conservative depending on the area.

Partying in San Diego seems to be centered in the following areas: the Gaslamp, Pacific Beach, North Park near University Avenue & 30th Street, and Hillcrest with other minor partying locations springing up in places like Normal Heights, Ocean Beach, and Little Italy and some of the beach communities up the coast.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,922 times
Thanks for your help. Some of the posts on here anti-San Diego discourage a lot of people, but that's understandable. I do feel like I will fit well; at Indiana University people are very active when its nice outside tanning, jogging, playing sports, and casually walking around. Looking through pictures and all that has made San Diego seem like it's much of the same on a larger scale with more to do. Can't wait to get out there.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:03 PM

461 posts, read 923,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
You sound like a perfect fit for San Diego.

Most people find that their allergy symptoms are a lot milder in San Diego. As long as the pollen free air blows in from the ocean you will do much better than where you are now.

I know the street your apartment building is located on. It's a perfectly fine area. It's not a neighborhoody location, so you might miss that unless you can walk out the back side of the complex, into the West College neighborhood. However, it's perfect for getting to school quickly, whether you walk, bike, skateboard, or roller skate. Unfortunately, part of that trip is uphill so that might nix the roller/skate/board method.

Culturally, San Diego will probably be less religious than what you are used too. Politically, outside of the school environment San Diego is moderate to moderate conservative depending on the area.

Partying in San Diego seems to be centered in the following areas: the Gaslamp, Pacific Beach, North Park near University Avenue & 30th Street, and Hillcrest with other minor partying locations springing up in places like Normal Heights, Ocean Beach, and Little Italy and some of the beach communities up the coast.
I can confirm on the allergies statement. I left WI and was having terrible reactions. I arrived in SD and nothing.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:34 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,342,075 times
wow, decreased allergies will be something to look forward too. that and the end of winter SAD of the rustbelt

Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,742,009 times
well you're coming out to finish school, you're young, have fun! enjoy experiencing different things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: