Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,960,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalynn77 View Post
There were a few mentions of living in Riverside but I worked in Chino and I just remember that whole are being smoggy and smelling like a strange combo of Wonder Bread and cows.
Riverside (proper) doesn't have any smells like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 02:50 PM

458 posts, read 1,264,213 times
My wife has made a bunch of friends that we do things with but they all live in SD and now that we have moved to the other side of the world (according to most of them) we don't see them as much. Work is usually a place to meet other people but I work from home so that kills that idea and all my wifes coworkers are in SD.

I agree with you Bhcompy that when we have kids it will be a bit easier. I also agree with the fact that Temecula and Murrieta are mostly families. I think we might be the only married couple on our street without and kids.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:03 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,774,501 times
Quote:
I had never heard the term "dink" until today but I looked it up. Pretty funny... Yuppies, however, we are not. By most definitions, that's a pretty negative term. Which specific areas would be recommended? At first we thought we were going to be in Orange County but his employer has asked us not to live there as they feel it will be too far from the clients he will need to see on a regular basis. Most of them are in Riverside County. Temecula/Murrieta came highly recommended by a co-worker of his but I am wondering now if it is going to be right for us at all.
I'm not sure that yuppie is a negative term, though I'm sure there are people that may use it as such. Easy term to describe a young urban professional, which maybe you are not. Sorry if that was offensive.

Realistically, I'm not sure where you could look. I'm not familiar with the city of Riverside very much, but what I've heard suggests it's probably the first place you should look. I've lived in Norco, Menifee, and know a bit about Temecula and a few other cities, but all of them are/were either too rural or just oriented towards things that don't sound like what you want.

Maybe you can check out something in the Pomona Valley or Cucamonga Valley instead? It's not that far of a drive and it definitely has more of what you want. The multitude of colleges, some quaint old town areas, business/industry to provide professional work, etc tend to attract the crowd you seem to be mentioning a bit more than what you'll find in a bedroom community out between SD and Riverside. Pomona, Claremont(known for the high number of PhDs living there and a half dozen colleges), Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, etc. Those are all on the border with San Bernardino County(either in SB County or LA County) or soldily within San Bernardino County putting them more or less within the Inland Empire region that includes Riverside.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 27,784 times
Ok, let's assume we check out Temecula and Murrieta and like the area, regardless of the fact that maybe it's not THE place for young couples. Which of the two towns is nicer? Also, any recommendations on specific neighborhoods or areas within the two towns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone for your input!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,960,431 times
Quote:
Ok, let's assume we check out Temecula and Murrieta and like the area, regardless of the fact that maybe it's not THE place for young couples. Which of the two towns is nicer? Also, any recommendations on specific neighborhoods or areas within the two towns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone for your input!
They are pretty same-same.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:30 PM

5 posts, read 27,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I'm not sure that yuppie is a negative term, though I'm sure there are people that may use it as such. Easy term to describe a young urban professional, which maybe you are not. Sorry if that was offensive.

Realistically, I'm not sure where you could look. I'm not familiar with the city of Riverside very much, but what I've heard suggests it's probably the first place you should look. I've lived in Norco, Menifee, and know a bit about Temecula and a few other cities, but all of them are/were either too rural or just oriented towards things that don't sound like what you want.

Maybe you can check out something in the Pomona Valley or Cucamonga Valley instead? It's not that far of a drive and it definitely has more of what you want. The multitude of colleges, some quaint old town areas, business/industry to provide professional work, etc tend to attract the crowd you seem to be mentioning a bit more than what you'll find in a bedroom community out between SD and Riverside. Pomona, Claremont(known for the high number of PhDs living there and a half dozen colleges), Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, etc. Those are all on the border with San Bernardino County(either in SB County or LA County) or soldily within San Bernardino County putting them more or less within the Inland Empire region that includes Riverside.
No offense taken. I appreciate your input. It's been so long since I lived in So Cal (8 years) that I don't know what's what out there anymore. I do remember that people were all very, very opinionated about different areas. Chino was considered "ghetto", the people that lived on the mountain referred to everyone in the valley as "flatlanders", the OC was considered snobbish, and God forbid you told someone you lived in Fontana. A look of shock and disgust would quickly follow. It seems that no one in Cali approves of any place except exactly where THEY live. lol...

Old 04-16-2010, 02:32 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,219,879 times
I preferred Temecula, as it had more shopping, and it just prettier to me, plus it gets more of the ocean breeze. There are so many different neighborhoods you will have to check it out. I haven't lived in CA for 17 years, but I don't have any children, and married, I would prefer to live in Tem/Mur area than any other town in the Inland Empire. I am sure once you check it out, you will get the feel of it and decide if it is going to be the right area for you. I was there a few years ago and i saw lots of retired people as well. It just isn't all young people with children. I am retirement age and the only thing I did not like, is the traffic. So use to living in the country in Northern Arizona.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 PM

541 posts, read 1,341,602 times
amanda, i was in different countries and i can tell you one thing..friends you can make everywhere..if in a village in asia,in the biggest european metropole,freinds you can make everywhere...with friendship is (at least for me)like with partnership,marriage...the chemistry must work and we have to be on the same page,not everybody can be my friend..i moved to temecula on thankgsgiving 2009 and finding friends was not an issue for me..not only from school,but outside too..my opinion,there are very friendly people hier..ready to explain you everything (in my case very curious about europe),to show you around,invite you over and so on..i am the big events and partiers,not for grown ups,for kids..but even withouht kids,i would have no difficuties to find friends in temecula..you can find them,if you want to...they are everywhere,it is only up to you..good choice with temecula..i like it,only one exception i "hate" big time right now...earthquakes..had 3 experiences,new for me ...

Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 PM

101 posts, read 328,116 times
I`m sure there are some swinger groups or something there in Temecula,that might get you to meet new people.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:55 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,774,501 times
Well that's one way to meet childless/empty nester adults
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties