Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:45 PM

8 posts, read 22,248 times

Advertisements

Hello all!!

Just wondering if I could get your insight on the Desert Hot Springs area. I see a lot of old posts that say it is a bad area and to stay completely away from it. I am wondering if it is still bad there? I couldn't find much current info on the area. We are also looking at La Quints, Desert Palms and still contemplating parts of Palm Springs. If I could get a shout out about the area, that would be great! Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 09:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Trust the old info - DHS hasn't changed. You can read the Desert Sun on a daily basis to see what's happening in DHS if you don't trust the old info. mydesert.com | The Desert Sun | Palm Springs news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Palm Springs, California

Old 02-20-2010, 10:02 PM

8 posts, read 22,248 times
Thanks for the info Twinkle Toes! I was pretty sure that it probably hadn't improved any. Just needed some additional reinsurance. We are leaning mostly toward La Quinta and Palm Desert areas. I hear a lot of good things about these areas.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:48 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,969 times
Both of those would be great choices! Both are very nice cities...

Old 02-21-2010, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 46,075 times
I 100% agree. Stay away from DHS. Palm Desert is nice, and La Quinta is VERY nice!!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:27 PM

123 posts, read 357,532 times
Thumbs down Desperate Hot Springs

I lived there for 13 years. I just moved my parents out. The newspapers don't exaggerate. It is a terrible place to live. My son lives in a nice gated community on a golf course in Palm Desert. It's very affordable. He has lovely mountain views, and gorgeous expanses of green lawns. Palm Desert is where all the money is. It used to be in Palm Springs but it all moved there. Cat City is a working class town although they have some nice shopping centers now too. RM and PD are much nicer and PD has the malls, bookstores, theaters, and nice restaurants plus it's green!

I'd steer away from Palm Springs. It used to be a really nice place but the "old gentlemen's club" that rules the town has basically made it a ghost town. The city has made it nearly impossible for business owners to make it there, so they all moved off to Cathedral City, Rancho Mirage, and Palm Desert. It's a shame. They are trying to keep HWY 111 alive, but it's dying a slow death.

Last edited by Mountain Sprite; 03-06-2010 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: (sp error)

Old 04-24-2010, 05:24 AM

1 posts, read 5,037 times
Our new city manager is working hard to turn things around. to turn any area around is for more owner occupied homes and less Out of town Landlords.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,453 times
Default Desert Hot Springs for my retired mom?

I am looking to move my mom to the Palm Springs area now that she is 67. She needs an affordable place to live. Right now she is temporarily staying with me in Los Angeles. Initially we were just looking at apartments in Palm Springs, La Quinta and Palm Desert, but we found a house for rent on Craigslist in DHS. It's in a gated 55+ community right by the police station. Do you think this would be safe? How is the shopping in DHS? Or would it better for her to drive into Palm Springs area to shop for groceries and what not? If anyone could give me their input that would be great. The 55+ community is called Desert Willows. The house was really nice and cheaper than an apartment in the nicer areas so we are really torn.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times
I have never heard of Desert Willows..we live in DHS in a gated community near Mission Lakes CC..we are about as far removed from the town of DHS as you can be..we feel very safe here, but to be honest ther is not much shopping in town..we head down to Palm Springs or Palm Desert for most of our shopping, but we do our grocery shopping here.

The city council and city manager are working towards turning DHS around..and the home prices here are less than Palm Springs and the majority of the Coachella Valley, which is why we bought here...we have great neighbors and like this community we are in very much..

If your mom is mobile and able to drive to Palm Springs and Palm Desert for shopping, then it might work..if you think she woud like to live closer to shopping, then maybe Palm Springs or Palm Desert might be better.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
The DHS City Council are IDIOTS!!!!! What kind of moron gives away $265,000 to a "promotor" nobody bothered to check the background of, for a music festival that will never, ever take place??? The City Attorney Duran is a complete incompetent buffoon as well. Mayor Parks is in fantasy land. The whole bunch needs to be kicked out on their butts. They've done absolutely NOTHING for the residents of DHS except to screw them over.

*Not yelling at you, Dogmom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties