Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 PM

39 posts, read 214,731 times

Advertisements

I have seen a lot of negative posts about the IE. We are considering a move to south corona - Sycamore Creek area. I would have to commute but I have early hours. Can anyone give me any positive feedback on the area? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
There are definitely some upsides to south corona: everything is new, lots of young families, good schools, low crime, etc. However, it really depends on where will be working on whether it will be worth it to you. I noticed that you had originally posted in the OC forums so I'd imagine that is where you will be working. You literally have to be on the road well before the sun comes to miss traffic on the 91, it starts that early. My dad commutes from corona to santa fe springs everyday and he is on the road around 5:30 or 5:45 from what he tells me. He heads home about 4 and traffic is already extremely congested. From south corona, you are looking at 2 hours on the road minimum everyday. The 15 is much more congested now days, even compared to when I was in high school out that way 10+ years ago. This will add onto the brutal commute on the 91. If you worked towards ontario or riverside, I'd imagine the commute would be much more tolerable, but I'd pass if you are working in OC. if you are currently in OC, you should drive out to south corona on a weekday morning opposite of the IE>OC commute and see how bad it actually is. Just make sure you have something to do to kill time once you get there (maybe tom's farms or the outlets further south from there) because it stays bad through much of the morning.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:28 PM

Thanks for your input. I would be working in Buena Park which is close to Santa Fe Springs. I am a teacher and could leave work around 3 or 3:15 if I went in early. My husband will be working from home out in Corona so he will get kids off to school. Which high school did you go to? Is Santiago a good school. Thinking about the future.... 2 kids (6 and 10). Do your folks plan to retire there? Thanks.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 PM

43 posts, read 243,635 times
Like the previous post said, the early morning commute along the 91 is murder. I used to hit 91 from 15 South around 620AM or so on my commute to Irvine, and that stupid ramp from 15 to 91 is always clogged. Sometimes I drove up another exit to Norco and doubled back to get on 91W from 15S. Budget money for FasTrak or you will be sitting (and getting from 15 to Green River Rd, approximately where the Toll Lanes start, can take 20-30 minutes).

Honestly, I do not think it is a good lifestyle. I did it for a year and it was miserable.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCteach View Post
Thanks for your input. I would be working in Buena Park which is close to Santa Fe Springs. I am a teacher and could leave work around 3 or 3:15 if I went in early. My husband will be working from home out in Corona so he will get kids off to school. Which high school did you go to? Is Santiago a good school. Thinking about the future.... 2 kids (6 and 10). Do your folks plan to retire there? Thanks.
Myself and one of my brothers both graduated from Santiago. In fact, I was in the second graduating class ever for the school. Back then it was more like a magnet where anyone in the district could attend and it tended to attract higher performing students. Since the move, I've heard mixed reviews. Regardless, it is a nicer area of Corona and pulls most of the kids from south corona if I remember correctly. As for my folks, they are actually looking to get out. They are empty nesters now and the only thing keeping in corona is my mom's job in riverside which she is actually trying to find a replacement for right now.

Regarding your job in Buena Park, I believe there is a metrolink station in that area. You may consider having your husband drop you off and pick you up from the train station everyday (near main and the 91) since he works at home and you could leave your car at the station in OC (or get a beater car). My mom had a friend who did that for years to avoid traffic on the 91.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 21,646 times
Have you considered west corona, specifically the Sierra Del Oro area, it is very nice quiet. And to be honest it will probably save you a good 30 min in your commute time. The 91 to 15 is horrible. I grew up here and then moved to murrieta and was commuting to west corona for work, it at times took me just as long to get from murrieta to corona than to cross corona. just a thought.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:59 PM

56 posts, read 278,697 times
i agree that the 15 is terrible. id also check out eastvale corona. zipcode is 92880. nortwest corona. just another thought!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Can't I take surface streets to avoid the 15 in the am and the pm? How bad is the traffic on Ontario? Lincoln? Probably will take me 20 minutes to get to the 91 but it will be a more predictable amount of time. I plan on leaving at 6 am. I will come home at 3 to 3:30 pm.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 AM

619 posts, read 2,167,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCteach View Post
Can't I take surface streets to avoid the 15 in the am and the pm? How bad is the traffic on Ontario? Lincoln? Probably will take me 20 minutes to get to the 91 but it will be a more predictable amount of time. I plan on leaving at 6 am. I will come home at 3 to 3:30 pm.
I beg you to reconsider. I too made the move to Corona from OC in dec of last year. Luckly I bought cheap and I can sell now after 3 months. I know that you want that house you cannot afford in OC, but for the same price in OC you can get a TH. You will hate it if youre used to OC lifestyle. Im in Corona Hills which is north of 91.....Why do you think MOST ppl hate it?
If you have a job in Corona, that`s different as far as commute is concern but Corona has little to nothing to offer except affordable housing. Corona has always been and will stay a bedroom community.
What I`ve noticed thou from talking to Corona ppl is that if you`re born in the IE you don`t really know the difference between the two.

Last edited by flo2900; 03-20-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 02:07 PM

the entertainment options in corona have grown exponentially in the last 5-10 years, there are now actually places for young people to hang out if they so choose. regardless, that commute will be a nightmare even if you leave at 6am. the problem is the bottleneck on the 91 at the county line. once you get past the old coal canyon exit, traffic moves pretty well for the most part. the problem is getting to that point. you really need to try it out a few times and see if you will be able to handle it. it is that bad! not only that, the drive home will be even worse! the only saving grace with regards to the afternoon commute will be the toll road, but that is costly and will only get you to green river, which is still a decent distance from south corona without traffic. corona is a decent place, but i would see if you couldn't transfer to a school there before making the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties