Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 PM

18 posts, read 99,063 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading all the posts on the IE and was just curious on what are the pros and cons between living in Menifee or Temecula? I've seen it mentioned in other posts. We will be moving out that way next Summer. We've lived all over the country but currently reside in TN.

We have a large family. 6 kids. 5 girls that range in age from 18 to 10 and a son who is 2 1/2. We need to find an area that would have good family communities. It would be great if they had a nice age range too. Not one with mostly little kids but middle school and high schoolers too. Good schools. Variety of activities for them to do, etc.

My husband can work from home so we aren't too worried about the commute to places of employment on a daily basis.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 PM

196 posts, read 628,995 times
Well, both are nice, but Temecula would be my choice if I were you. Temecula offers closer proximity to shopping, and entertainment venues like The Promenade Mall, or Old Town Temecula. Schools in Temecula are also better, with many being amongst the best in the state including. Temecula also has an abundance of recreational space, with at least one park in every neighborhood it seems.

Menifee isn't bad, but it is still moderately undeveloped compared to Temecula. Living in Menifee will often times have you commuting to Temecula, Hemet, or even Moreno Valley for certain amenities like movie theaters, or certain shops, but to my knowledge it is slowly changing. Housing is more affordable in Menifee though, so you may find yourself getting more for your money in Menifee, but you won't be getting the amenities of Temecula. The one thing I will say Menifee has over Temecula is higher education, because Menifee is home to Mt. San Jacinto College.

Overall, I'd go with Temecula because of the greenery, great schools, safety, "close-knitness", and the overall ambience of the city. Not saying Menifee is bad, but in my opinion Temecula offers a lot more, and you will surely find yourself more comfortable in Temecula over Menifee.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:47 AM

Thanks so much for your post LivingInExiles. It's exactly the kind of information we were looking for.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:01 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,584,142 times
I live in Temecula with my three kids and although it is far from being a "big city" it has all the amenities we need, good schools, and lots and lots of parks and rec. activities. If you want a more rural feel, Menifee might be a better choice, but for me, no town around here beats Temecula. I can guarantee you that of all the towns in this little area (Temec., Murrieta, Menifee, Hemet, etc.), Temecula will recover from the real estate mess the fastest. So, in addition to being great in and of itself, in terms of making an investment (making lemonade out of lemons, if you will!) this is a great place to do it. If you look at my profile, you'll see a link to the blog I write about Temecula. Can't put it here in the message (don't want to break the rules!), but basically it's just about every day life for a family here. Lots of posts from the summer, not so many since school started . Good luck in your decision!

Old 11-22-2008, 04:17 PM

It sounds like Temecula may be the choice for us. It seems to have what we are looking for. We'll be checking it out more thouroughly but it definitely sounds like it will fit us well. I'll be sure to check out your profile. Thanks!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:04 PM

69 posts, read 1,129,117 times
Menifee has a lot of development going on, including the HUGE new Countryside Marketplace at the 215 and Newport Rd. The SuperTarget is awesome,and it's right between Kohls and Lowes, along with tons of other new shops and restaurants. It's all now starting to open, and it's great so far. I went to the Red Robin the other day, and it was really good.

I live in Menifee (we bought here in July), and while it is more rural than Temecula, I like it, and there is a lot of development going on. Including a SuperWalmart coming soon, and tons more.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:14 PM

419 posts, read 1,450,321 times
If you're looking at Temecula, you should also consider Murrieta. It fits all your criteria, but is a bit less expensive.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:48 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,763,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
If you're looking at Temecula, you should also consider Murrieta. It fits all your criteria, but is a bit less expensive.
Good point, I would put Murrieta over Menifee anyday.

1. Temecula

2. Murrieta

3. Throw a rock in the IE because it wouldn't matter after the first two

Old 11-29-2008, 10:46 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times
I would have to agree with all of the previous posters. I have lived in Menifee for 4 years, and it's an up and coming area. The new Countryside Market Place is very nice. We just need more restaurants.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:14 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,153,287 times
Temecula and Murrieta (esp. Temecula) have best middle & high schools in Riverside County. Schools in Menifee are worse. Schools in the rest of the county are quite bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties