Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:30 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to the Austin suburb of Round Rock, TX next summer, due to the expensive cost of living where I am now (OC, Rancho Santa Margarita). My husband and I have a budget of $150K to buy a 3+ bedroom home. I came across some listings in Joshua Tree, but wonder about the standard of living out there. Jobs? I'm a paralegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 04:14 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Last time I checked, Joshua Tree wasn't anywhere near Roundrock, TX. Joshue Tree has a lot of ... Joshua Trees. (Oh, and there's a marine base nearby too.)

Old 10-20-2008, 04:58 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Last time I checked, Joshua Tree wasn't anywhere near Roundrock, TX. Joshue Tree has a lot of ... Joshua Trees. (Oh, and there's a marine base nearby too.)
Yeah, no kidding! Tell me something I don't know. Sorry if I was confusing...

I'm in CA (as I stated before) and I'm competely familiar with Joshua Tree Park, however not the community (jobs, safety, schools, family activities, etc). I'm trying to determine whether I can find a good area within CA before I commit to leaving the state in search of a higher standard of living on our income. I refuse to continue paying 50% on housing.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:08 PM

If you go to Texas, you may find it's not all it's cracked up to be. I moved to Texas and lived there for 9 months before I totally had enough and came back home to sunny, beautiful California.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,605 times
Quote:
If you go to Texas, you may find it's not all it's cracked up to be. I moved to Texas and lived there for 9 months before I totally had enough and came back home to sunny, beautiful California.
Can I ask, what went wrong for you to move back to California after 9 months?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
Can I ask, what went wrong for you to move back to California after 9 months?
Culture shock! LOL

While I was in Texas it rained pretty much every day. I was there for a couple of ice storms. I was stuck on the freeway during a hail storm and had to try to find something to park under like everyone else on the road. When they say "everything's bigger in Texas" I think they were talking about the hail.

The traffic was horrendous! I'm a lifelong California resident - born and raised here - and as bad as traffic is in Los Angeles, it has nothing on Texas.

I won't go into all the gory details, so as not to pi** all the Texans off, but it just wasn't for me, wasn't for my husband, wasn't for my kids. We couldn't wait to get back home. We were lucky in that we sold our Texas house pretty fast. I thought it would take a long time to sell because it was huge (6500 sq. ft.) and had a ballroom in it. Unless you're a ballroom dancer (like me) most people don't need a ballroom.

So, the short answer is traffic and weather.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:51 PM

542 posts, read 1,685,005 times
Quote:
Culture shock! LOL

While I was in Texas it rained pretty much every day. I was there for a couple of ice storms. I was stuck on the freeway during a hail storm and had to try to find something to park under like everyone else on the road. When they say "everything's bigger in Texas" I think they were talking about the hail.

The traffic was horrendous! I'm a lifelong California resident - born and raised here - and as bad as traffic is in Los Angeles, it has nothing on Texas.

I won't go into all the gory details, so as not to pi** all the Texans off, but it just wasn't for me, wasn't for my husband, wasn't for my kids. We couldn't wait to get back home. We were lucky in that we sold our Texas house pretty fast. I thought it would take a long time to sell because it was huge (6500 sq. ft.) and had a ballroom in it. Unless you're a ballroom dancer (like me) most people don't need a ballroom.

Oh goodness! When and where did you move to in Texas? This is my third time in the burbs of Dallas and so far I've seen one hail storm. Traffic can be awful depending on where specifically you're driving and what times but I don't think its any worse than LA at least from what I've seen.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:40 AM

681 posts, read 2,913,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
Oh goodness! ........ Traffic can be awful depending on where specifically you're driving and what times but I don't think its any worse than LA at least from what I've seen.
It doesn't help a new transplant resident that TX freeways use a different traffic-handling philosophy than most other western states. At least the ones around San Antonio-Austin-Round Rock do. Fewer off ramps, one-way access roads running parallel for miles, lots of toll roads, major construction, etc., just enough difference that its takes a little "getting used to", imo. Not saying its wrong or bad, just different.

I think Twinkle Toes is right. LA at its worst is just a huge parking lot, but 99% understand it and don't try to fight it that much, I think. When TX freeways become stop and go there's a lot of individualism comes out from local drivers. That might be fun at a party, but not too helpful or reassuring on the roadway.

Joshua Tree is a very small town, and I would think the paralegal field is probably not very good. Otoh, lots of towns around Palm Desert have good schools and low housing costs right now. Plus more jobs. You ought to check them out, cabolissa.

Having said that, in my experience the Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown area can be quite beautiful most of the time, and the folks around there are great as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck whichever way you choose.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 AM

I was in San Antonio. (What the hell was I thinkin'?????!!!!!)

Anyway, if you live in Joshua Tree, you are probably going to work in the Palm Springs area as there isn't a lot going on up there - but the rock climbing is awesome!

I am in a law firm in Palm Springs. I don't think we are hiring at this time, but you could send your resume, it couldn't hurt. If you want to do that, you can PM me and I'll tell you where to send it. You might also want to join the Desert Palm Legal Secretaries Association. They always know who's hiring, who's good to work for, who to steer clear of, etc. I wish you the best in your search.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:18 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,605 times
Quote:
Wow! That is exactly what my Boyfriend complained about Texas too! I agree about those hail storms as they can cause a lot of damage! And there is a lot of rain, more so than I'm used to, but I just thought it was better than seeing snow.

Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties