Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,701,011 times

Advertisements

Hottybuns said: "Oh and I'm also a female and not gay."

Whew! What a relief!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM

10 posts, read 31,469 times
Red face Buying in the Palm Springs ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Bette, you may also want to consider Palm Desert, La Quinta, Rancho Mirage and Indian Wells.

Places you absolutely do not want to be are Desert Hot springs, Cathedral City, Thousand Palms, Indio, a lot of Palm Springs, Mecca, Thermal, Coachella, Salton City and Sky Valley.
WOW that wasn't nice. Cathedral city is a quiet town with a big range of house types and neighbor hoods. We are right in the middle of Eisenhower and Desert hospital. WE have a new Town or city hall. Lower taxes than Palm Springs or the othercites of Palm Desert or Rancho Mirage. We have a great bus system that takes people to the other towns. Just make sure the area you pick is not Fee land,and zoned for single famlies. Also not a great neighbor hood is call the dream homes. Buying there maybe very cheap but not a good idea.
Pamela D.
PS have lived here for 25 years.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:36 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,055,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela D. View Post
WOW that wasn't nice. Cathedral city is a quiet town with a big range of house types and neighbor hoods. We are right in the middle of Eisenhower and Desert hospital. WE have a new Town or city hall. Lower taxes than Palm Springs or the othercites of Palm Desert or Rancho Mirage. We have a great bus system that takes people to the other towns. Just make sure the area you pick is not Fee land,and zoned for single famlies. Also not a great neighbor hood is call the dream homes. Buying there maybe very cheap but not a good idea.
Pamela D.
PS have lived here for 25 years.
Yes, you are absolutely right. Cathedral City is a nice place and completely safe.

Robbers ransack Cathedral City home, hold man at gunpoint | MyDesert.com | The Desert Sun

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2009.../-1/yourtown01

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2009...NTPAGECAROUSEL

Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 PM
fsm

9 posts, read 39,126 times
I've always wanted to have a look at Palm Springs and some of its great modernist architecture, being a guy who's always been interested in architecture and especially midcentury modernism (I'm a semi-retired woodworker/architect) I've even fantasized about living there "if only I could afford it" (I can't).
Now that my wife and I are living in Tucson and looking at relocation options, we are considering a spur of the moment trip since I stumbled across some intriguing realty listings of incredibly inexpensive homes in Desert Hot Springs. Several of these homes listings, that look to be surely not classics but in fine modernist tradition, are in a developing golf community (though the golf part doesn't interest us at all) , some listings are small acreages off of Dillon Road area.
Now I'm seeing some posts by some locals who seem pretty knowledgeable and level-headed, who hint that is not a good idea, specifically Twinke Toes and Pamela D. I wonder if anyone could be imposed upon to elaborate further- at any length possible.
Sorry, as I do tend toward rambling, as I've just done here. Should we consider a purely recreational sightseeing trip or is there any chance of our lucking into a real bargain in DHS?

Old 05-19-2009, 02:24 PM

There's a reason DHS is a bargain and the other cities aren't. Think about it. I think you should take your recreational sight seeing trip to DHS and then come back and give us your observations and thoughts. When you see all those bars on the windows in DHS, keep in mind they aren't there for decoration.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 PM
fsm

9 posts, read 39,126 times
Well, the sightseeing trip would be to Palm Springs, with a side to look at the DHS listings if there was any hope for them at all.
It's occurred to even to a blockhead like me that there's a reason for the DHS bargains, but until I saw some of these posts, I didn't know if it was just the boom and bust of the housing cyle or what.
We surely are not accustomed to living in high-crime areas and my wife would be more interested in seeing the Grand Canyon on our last trip from Tucson before relocating than looking at a war zone for bargain houses that she'd be afraid to live in.
I thank you for your comments. I'd still be interested in knowing more if you don't see it as a wasteof time.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsm View Post
Well, the sightseeing trip would be to Palm Springs, with a side to look at the DHS listings if there was any hope for them at all.
It's occurred to even to a blockhead like me that there's a reason for the DHS bargains, but until I saw some of these posts, I didn't know if it was just the boom and bust of the housing cyle or what.
We surely are not accustomed to living in high-crime areas and my wife would be more interested in seeing the Grand Canyon on our last trip from Tucson before relocating than looking at a war zone for bargain houses that she'd be afraid to live in.
I thank you for your comments. I'd still be interested in knowing more if you don't see it as a wasteof time.
Not a waste of tine at all. Feel free to DM me, if you want to. I'll try to provide as much info as I can. I just hate to see people coming from other areas wind up in a place where their personal safety is at risk.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:42 AM

147 posts, read 311,158 times
I am a desert rat. I will be getting a pension from the state next year and I am considering retiring to the Palm Springs area.
I would like to supplement my pension by working full-time until social security kicks in in ten years.
I studied restaurant management in SF during the late eighties and would like to get a job in the hospitality sector. I would be satisfied with an entry-level position. Again, I will be getting an annuity from the State of Texas.
Also, I see wind turbines! When I lived in LA and San Bernardino, I hated the dirty air; so how is the air quality in Palm Springs these days? Clean or do you get bad air from Riverside??
Thanks...

Old 08-09-2009, 04:34 PM

The air quality is superb. No, we do not get the smog from Riverside here. You will get some people who will come in here and say the air quality is bad and post up fancy graphs and websites that don't give any current information. People from all over the world move here to experience the beauty of our desert, the gorgeous winters, and the superior air quality, among many other amenities. Good luck on your retirement, and I think you will love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties