Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:41 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is direct (express) bus service from Murrieta or Temecula to Downtown San Diego?

I'm guessing no - can't find any evidence of such a bus line.

If not, how far south do I have to go to find one? Fallbrook?

Are there enough people commuting between the two areas to justify express bus service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 01:01 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Because you're talking traveling in two counties, with two different systems, it's a little more complicated that you might like.

I haven't done it in a while, but it used to be that there was an express commuters bus that left from the mall in Temecula and went to Oceanside Transit Center, where you could catch a train into downtown San Diego. The commuter bus only run during rush hour, and even the train is limited in the number of runs it does in a day - but if you work traditional hours, it was an option.

If you want to take one bus only, it used to be that you could catch an express bus in Escondido - and I would guess that's still the case. It definitely does not go as far as Fallbrook.

Have you looked into van pools? That might be the way to go...

Old 10-09-2010, 10:20 PM

A van pool wouldn't help me. I wouldn't be going on a regular schedule.

OCTA and RTA jointly run route 149 (now 216?) from Riverside to Orange. If they could do it, why not a joint RTA/San Diego line from Temecula or Murrieta to Downtown San Diego? The trip only takes about an hour by car. A route like this should be doable. They could operate this route until CaHSR comes on line in about a decade or so.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:26 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
A van pool wouldn't help me. I wouldn't be going on a regular schedule.

OCTA and RTA jointly run route 149 (now 216?) from Riverside to Orange. If they could do it, why not a joint RTA/San Diego line from Temecula or Murrieta to Downtown San Diego? The trip only takes about an hour by car. A route like this should be doable. They could operate this route until CaHSR comes on line in about a decade or so.
I also wish that we had better inter-county mass transit options. Although my situation is different from yours (I travel from LA County to South OC), I can feel your frustration. At least Metrolink is an option for me but being that my commute is a reverse one, there are limited number of trains to serve my needs. Hopefully, there will be some developments that will improve the lives of those of us who work outside of our counties.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I also wish that we had better inter-county mass transit options. Although my situation is different from yours (I travel from LA County to South OC), I can feel your frustration. At least Metrolink is an option for me but being that my commute is a reverse one, there are limited number of trains to serve my needs. Hopefully, there will be some developments that will improve the lives of those of us who work outside of our counties.
I'm also interested in a Murrieta <-> Orange County bus. It would be nice to be able to take a bus to Disneyland once in a while. It's only about an hour trip by car.

The freeways are packed with people going to both San Diego and Orange County. You'd think there would be enough people in the Temecula valley to justify better bus service.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
OCTA and RTA jointly run route 149 (now 216?) from Riverside to Orange. If they could do it, why not a joint RTA/San Diego line from Temecula or Murrieta to Downtown San Diego?
The commuter bus I mentioned above is the only link between the two - it starts in Riverside County, and drops off at Oceanside, in San Diego County.

And you're right, an express bus directly from Temecula to downtown San Diego should be doable, but there isn't even service from Fallbrook directly to downtown, and Fallbrook is in San Diego County.

San Diego County is served by the North County Transit District, in the north - and the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System in the south.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I'm also interested in a Murrieta <-> Orange County bus. It would be nice to be able to take a bus to Disneyland once in a while. It's only about an hour trip by car.

The freeways are packed with people going to both San Diego and Orange County. You'd think there would be enough people in the Temecula valley to justify better bus service.
Have you tried the Metrolink? Sounds like it's the closest to what you're looking for! It's actually faster than driving.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Have you tried the Metrolink? Sounds like it's the closest to what you're looking for! It's actually faster than driving.
I wish I could. Unfortunately, neither Temecula or Murrieta have Metrolink staitons. The nearest stations are either Corona or Oceanside, both are nearly an hour away by bus (limited hours, no weekend service).

California High Speed Rail could work, if it's ever built. It's probably at LEAST a decade away. Murrieta is supposedly getting a station.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
And you're right, an express bus directly from Temecula to downtown San Diego should be doable, but there isn't even service from Fallbrook directly to downtown, and Fallbrook is in San Diego County.
How would something like this get started? I know this probably isn't the best time (budget problems, etc.), but maybe we could somehow persuade the two agencies to do a study. It would be nice if they could provide service at least until Temecula gets Metrolink or CaHSR.

Is anyone else in this forum interested in express bus service between Murrieta/Temecula and San Diego?

Old 10-10-2010, 04:41 PM

I thought the Perris Metrolink Station was going to open next year? That's just up the 215 from Murrieta!

And right now the Riverside station is just a little further up the 215 - it's right Downtown on Vine, and has a parking lot where you can leave your car. I don't take it much anymore, but in the past I took it into LA quite a bit and it really is faster than driving - and if your destination is on a subway line in LA, you can transfer easily. And of course they have trains that go into Orange County as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties