Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:41 AM

324 posts, read 1,310,898 times

Advertisements

Can I have some opinions on the Planet Fitness located in the Pavilions at 410 & McCullough?

How is the equipment? Do they use the Lunk alarm a lot? Are they pretty non-judging to larger folks?

I'm thinking of joining, but I'm mostly scared of the "Lunk Alarm".

All I'm really looking for in a gym is a decent clean gym where I can use a treadmill and exercise bike for right now, as I'm terribly out of shape at nearly 300lbs. I do plan on working out between 3 & 6 days a week though, and following The Biggest Loser books suggestions for workouts in a gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 02:28 AM

611 posts, read 2,239,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post
Can I have some opinions on the Planet Fitness located in the Pavilions at 410 & McCullough?

How is the equipment? Do they use the Lunk alarm a lot? Are they pretty non-judging to larger folks?

All I'm really looking for in a gym is a decent clean gym where I can use a treadmill and exercise bike for right now, as I'm terribly out of shape at nearly 300lbs. I do plan on working out between 3 & 6 days a week though, and following The Biggest Loser books suggestions for workouts in a gym.
1. the lunk alarm (what a stupid idea) sounds like it is geared towards meatheads and guys that workout out at home before they come in and then "work out" by flexing in the mirror all day.......so if you are 300 pounds right now I don't think that is an issue for you unless you don't want to hear some stupid noise I guess they play

2. listen big daddy........who cares what others think......only a total moron would look down at a 300 pound person that was COMING INTO THE GYM to do something about being 300 pounds

not to be a dick, but you were not concerned what others were thinking on the way up to 300 pounds.....you sure as hell don't need to worry about what they are thinking on the way back down

it sounds like you are ready to make a change......screw everyone else think of yourself and go there and make a change....sign up for short term....if you like it stay if not go elsewhere......I wish you good luck and all the best

Old 05-14-2010, 07:12 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,154,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
1. the lunk alarm (what a stupid idea) sounds like it is geared towards meatheads and guys that workout out at home before they come in and then "work out" by flexing in the mirror all day.......so if you are 300 pounds right now I don't think that is an issue for you unless you don't want to hear some stupid noise I guess they play
The lunk alarm is an amusing way to prevent the meatheads from making their workout noises. Does it work? Yes. It's not used frequently so when it does go off, everyone looks around for the culprit!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:

The Lunk Alarm is used infrequently and it is a non judgmental place to be. It really is a place that is like they motto, "The No Judgment Zone".
Everybody does their own thing and there is folks of all shapes and sizes. I commend you on making a commitment to fitness. The first step is that first visit; after that, it gets easier.
Have you done a tour with an PF employee? I highly recommend!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:15 AM

20 posts, read 52,745 times
Quote:

Not sure of that location, but i use PF at Bandera and Huebner, also Marbach and 410 and I like them both, very friendly and I've never had issues, I have heard the lunk alarm go off a few times and sure enough some big lunk dropping weights lol. I was 282lbs when i started working out at PF in Jan. and im down to 235lbs right now as of this morning.

In fact I've had employees there comment on how much weight I lost and how awesome it is to see that I keep coming in still. If anything they are very non judgmental. Even though my job pays for a Spectrum or Golds membership I would never switch, PF is what I recommend to anyone who asks about gyms.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got3n View Post
Not sure of that location, but i use PF at Bandera and Huebner, also Marbach and 410 and I like them both, very friendly and I've never had issues, I have heard the lunk alarm go off a few times and sure enough some big lunk dropping weights lol. I was 282lbs when i started working out at PF in Jan. and im down to 235lbs right now as of this morning.

In fact I've had employees there comment on how much weight I lost and how awesome it is to see that I keep coming in still. If anything they are very non judgmental. Even though my job pays for a Spectrum or Golds membership I would never switch, PF is what I recommend to anyone who asks about gyms.
I don't think we have a clapping hands icon but I wish I could insert one to give you one on the weight loss.
I've used the Bandera/Huebner before too and now I'm dedicated to the Marbach/410 one since its uber closer to my house. I'm glad they put tons more cardio machines in there a bit after they opened (I'm assuming they didn't anticipate the amount of people that show up), it definitely gets used in the evening hours!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 AM

324 posts, read 1,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
2. listen big daddy........who cares what others think......only a total moron would look down at a 300 pound person that was COMING INTO THE GYM to do something about being 300 pounds

not to be a dick, but you were not concerned what others were thinking on the way up to 300 pounds.....you sure as hell don't need to worry about what they are thinking on the way back down
First off I'm a big mama not a big daddy.

And yes I was very concerned as my weight went up, but there was nothing I could do. I went from 235 at the birth of my daughter in 06, down to 180 in 07, and then they put me on medication for my thyroid {Graves Disease} and I went up to 300lbs within 6 months. I finally got the thyroid under control to the point it's safe for me to exercise again, but it took nearly 3 years.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:06 PM

14 posts, read 30,188 times
I haven't been to that PF so I can't give you insight on that, but I'd like to commend you on your goal to get fit. I've been a gym member for over 2 yrs now and I can say that no one cares what body shape you are. Everyone goes to the gym to feel or look better and most people are too focused on their own workout to notice you. I've seen very large people and very fit people and nobody treated anyone better or worse because of it. Actually, when I see very heavy people working out, my first thought is always "Good for you", not anything negative.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 45,395 times
I go to that Planet Fitness on 410 & McCollough because it's SUPER close to my work. I stopped going to Gold's Gym because all of the locations that were accessable to me seemed to be catering to all of the "pretty people" and the "fad" of working out in a gym. Just not my style. I like to go into a gym in sweats and a t-shirt and not worry about the chick with the skin-tight workout suit judgeing me.

Anyhoot.

Long story short: I love Planet Fitness on 410 & McCollough. EVERYONE cleans off their equipment after they use them and there are cleaning stations EVERYWHERE. They have a fantastic assortment of cardio equipment, but a not-so-fantastic assortment of freeweights. Their regular muscle-tone machines are okay, but nothing to brag about. However...for just over $10 a month and no contract, it's a super-great deal.

All of the employees are great, too.

I have NEVER been there when the "lunk" alarm has gone off, and I reallly, really, REALLY doubt it would ever get used on any of us.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:56 AM

410 posts, read 925,640 times
I've been interested in Planet Fitness as well. Has anyone ever had problems with Planet Fitness withdrawing fee from credit card/bank account after notifying staff you would not be completing 12 months?. I know they claim to not have a contract but re PF Black Card, I read the following: ($19.99 per month) Billed monthly to a checking account or credit card for a minimum of 12 months. Annual Membership Fee of $39.00 will be billed on or shortly after June 1st. I've read consumer compaints on a national blog re monthly fees being withdrawn after clients expressed intent to discontinue at other PFs and was wondering how the local PFs fared in area of customer service. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio