Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 10,484 times

Advertisements

Might be stationed at Ft Sam and I've been told by my family that the good neighborhoods to purchase a home are a good drive away. I'm wondering where can I start looking for around $200,000 and within 30 minute drive to Ft Sam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 07:37 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,831,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixzro View Post
Might be stationed at Ft Sam and I've been told by my family that the good neighborhoods to purchase a home are a good drive away. I'm wondering where can I start looking for around $200,000 and within 30 minute drive to Ft Sam?
Here you go...good luck!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Old 10-03-2009, 11:11 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,844,253 times
I know several folks who are stationed at Fort Sam that live in new Subdivisions off of IH 10E right past Foster Road. * I can't tell you right off hand the names of the Subdivisions, their homes are very nice and I doubt that they paid higher than $200,000. They are happy with the drive to and from work. It's alot better than driving East in the morning and West in the evening like I do.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:29 AM

841 posts, read 1,748,841 times
I guess it all depends on your type of lifestyle - urban vs. suburban, spouse and kids vs. single. Most consider inside 410 to be "urban" (and yes, I know a lot of it really isn't), and outside 1604 to be suburban. The comment that the "best" areas are a good drive away is highly innacurate - some of the most expensive real estate in San Antonio is close to Ft. Sam.

Urban: the Alamo Heights area, though very close, isn't very doable at only $200,000. Mahncke Park, Tobin Hill could work, but you may be finding a fixer-upper, and may want to send your kids to private school depending on their ages (a lot of young people are now doing this).

Suburban: I'll defer to others, since it's not my bag 'o tea.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:51 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,738,660 times
You might try some of the areas just north of Ft Sam to Loop 410 like Northwood, Northridge, etc. If you stay within NEISD boundaries, you might find some fairly decent homes in the $200k range.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:22 AM

45 posts, read 142,647 times
The cities of Selma, Schertz, and Cibolo are nice areas in my personal opinion. My husband is stationed at Sam and we are in Selma. It takes him right about a half hour to get to work. Now coming home it takes a little bit longer if he leaves work at 5pm. Traffic on I-35 is real bad. We came from Bragg and absolutely love it here.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:35 AM

45 posts, read 142,647 times
Just thought of one more thing. We are about 10 minutes from Randolph AFB which is ultra-convenient for shopping at the commissary as well as medical appts and the pharmacy for myself and daughter. Universal City is closest to Randolph but we weren't interested in purchasing in that city.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:05 AM

323 posts, read 830,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWife517 View Post
The cities of Selma, Schertz, and Cibolo are nice areas in my personal opinion. My husband is stationed at Sam and we are in Selma. It takes him right about a half hour to get to work. Now coming home it takes a little bit longer if he leaves work at 5pm. Traffic on I-35 is real bad. We came from Bragg and absolutely love it here.
I'll second this one. We live close to Selma just off of 1604. There are some nice neighborhoods in this general area. Lots of shopping too.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 8,460 times
Default Relocating to Ft. Sam

We live in Floreseville, Texas, within 30 minutes to Ft. Sam. It sounds like our home may be a little out of your price range (274,9k). However, i could give you some advice about Floresville real estate and areas in and around San Antonio to avoid. I am a career police officer (and prior Air Force) and for family saefty, etc..I could give you a heads up.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:54 AM

3 posts, read 10,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V. View Post
We live in Floreseville, Texas, within 30 minutes to Ft. Sam. It sounds like our home may be a little out of your price range (274,9k). However, i could give you some advice about Floresville real estate and areas in and around San Antonio to avoid. I am a career police officer (and prior Air Force) and for family saefty, etc..I could give you a heads up.
Sure, any advice is much appreciated. I have a wife and 4 month old child so I would like to hear from you. Im looking at thousand oaks area in North SA but am wondering is there any place closer to Sam that is safe with decent housing. A quiet suburb may be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio