Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:08 PM

7 posts, read 19,079 times

Advertisements

Such a great topic, it is nice to see the grafitti art of san antonio getting some appreciation. Clogged Caps 6 is coming up, if you are not planning to go you should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:22 AM

13 posts, read 47,843 times
These are from San Francisco,Mission District.
Attached Thumbnails
**GRAFiTTi**ART**-san-francisco-iv-038-2-.jpg   **GRAFiTTi**ART**-san-francisco-iv-039-2-.jpg   **GRAFiTTi**ART**-san-francisco-iv-042-2-.jpg   **GRAFiTTi**ART**-san-francisco-iv-043-2-.jpg  

Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 AM

98 posts, read 122,900 times
I'm curious. What is the difference between grafitti art and public art? Is grafitti art just a different genre? The art posted by KaHaTeni is more traditional in form than other works I would call "grafitti" art. More in line with Judith Baca's work.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:33 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,902 times
Default North St. Marys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li'l_Bit View Post

I'm curious. What is the difference between grafitti art and public art?
all I would say there is this -
to me, public art is commissioned by the government
and paid for with public money
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaHaTeni View Post

These are from San Francisco,Mission District.
nice work there, no doubt about it.

I especially like the Aztec Calendar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaHaTeni View Post

Those really pop mudpuddle... skilled hands for sure.

Where is the " This is Sparta!" work located? Nice find.
Don't know what the Sparta is, so no answer..................
here are a few more that I snapped last week.......
.........3 are thumbnails to save load time........
Click the thumbnails if you want to view the larger picture..............

Click the thumbnails if you want to view the larger picture..............

...... ...... ...... ....
mud

Old 11-03-2009, 03:12 PM

So, grafitti art can be commissioned, which would make it public art. Grafitti being the art form. Public art isn't necessarily commissioned and paid for by the government, IMO. This is evident by the number of buildings with art on them. I don't think these artists are just going willy-nilly painting on buildings without some kind of permission. Someone has to be asking them to paint on them.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:56 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,140,235 times
IMO graffiti art and/or public art serves both the artist, business owner, and general public so many benefits. The artist/artists weather they get commissioned or not, have a portfolio of their work that gives them the recognition they want and need.

The business owner has a beautiful mural/piece of art to use to advertise his business. From what I understand, taggers usually don't tag public art/murals, as a sign of respect to the artist.

Most art patrons enjoy seeing this beautiful, creative, and often times deeply symbolic works through the artists' perspective.

Last edited by Sweetie Pie; 11-03-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 07:17 PM

472 posts, read 1,793,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
IMO graffiti art and/or public art serves both the artist, business owner, and general public so many benefits. The artist/artists weather they get commissioned or not, have a portfolio of their work that gives them the recognition they want and need.

The business owner has a beautiful mural/piece of art to use to advertise his business. From what I understand, taggers usually don't tag public art/murals, as a sign of respect to the artist.
Most art patrons enjoy seeing this beautiful, creative, and often times deeply symbolic works through the artists' perspective.
If only everyone loved art enough to understand that every building should have some. I guess in a way taggers, as horrible as some tags can be, are adding their own art to buildings without any. Obviously their minds arent mature enough to realize how crappy their work is at least they dont have guns in their hands. I'll take the lesser of the evils anyday.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,140,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
If only everyone loved art enough to understand that every building should have some. I guess in a way taggers, as horrible as some tags can be, are adding their own art to buildings without any. Obviously their minds arent mature enough to realize how crappy their work is at least they dont have guns in their hands. I'll take the lesser of the evils anyday.
I agree with you 100%!!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post

I would much rather see genuine artwork on a wall than moronic scribblings! I think if business owners who are constantly having to paint over tagging would considering offering up their walls to artists, they would have plenty of takers and a beautiful work of art. But, sadly, as some posters here view grafitti art as "junk," so do many business owners.

For the most part, taggers do tend to respect a muralist's work. There are some, though, who still will tag on a painted wall. Animals...

Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,771 times
its great to see that people appreciate the art. I'm a b.a. holder, graduate of UTSA and have been a part of the culture since I was 9. we aren't all hoodlums it is expression and creativity at their best (just wanted to put that out there). the tags you speak of do actually have a purpose...in a condensed explanation, they serve the purpose of name recognition. its like symbol association. just as you would see the golden arches on a billboard and automatically associate it with McDonald's. this is oversimplified but hopefully you get the picture somewhat. the way it would work in graffiti is to associate the "tag" with the same persons mural style piece or burner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio