Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:19 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,160,058 times

Advertisements

That red creature looks to me, like he is protecting a little infant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 03:37 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,160,058 times
N/M

but, but, but..............?

VVVVVV thanks LG

Last edited by Sweetie Pie; 09-11-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 03:44 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,635,712 times
Sweetie Pie, please see Bowie's post on page 2 - he addressed the issue.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:22 PM

847 posts, read 2,242,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
This thread was started for the graffiti artists to discuss their art. It is a legitimate art form. I just read an article the other day about a college student graffiti artist whose work is on display at Yale University. If it's legitimate enough for Yale to recognize, it's legitimate enough for City-Data to do so as well.

There are many other threads in which the topics of vandalism graffiti and tagging are discussed.
Discuss those separate aspects of the topic in one of those separate threads. Those aspects are now off-topic in this thread.

well put Bowie.

a time and place for everything.

appreciate it.

mud

Old 09-11-2009, 05:08 PM

847 posts, read 2,242,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermomof4girls View Post

Most of the pics looks like you are trying to show off your bike, not the art.
mom, I'll post some up without the sickle. I have plenty more.

like I said in the third line I wrote -
I use some of them as backdrops when I want snapshots of the mudSickle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post

To the OP, I LOVE the colors and the shading in the first photo you posted - that's pretty incredible.

We were actually tooddling around the west side the other day
and there is some pretty amazing artwork going on over there,
Linda,
Next time you roll out on the West End of town,
have a looksee on W Commerce.

there are quite a few murals when you get beyond 24th

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post

I spy with my little eye.... orejon.
is that a signature you recognize perticusrex???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post

Nice murdersycle, Mud!!!

I have come to admire so much of this "legal" graffiti, it truly is an art form. When we were in D.C. a few years ago, we were able to see an exhibit of photos of graffiti art in the Smithsonian.

thank you Sweetie. appreciate it.

the Smithsonian. I'd really like to get up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post

personally i do not consider what is pictured as grafitti at all ---

i have always looked at works like that as street art or street murials...

those huge pieces take time and effort and some sort of thought ... look at the shading of color...the fading of colors...the sharp outlines...those pieces pictured take hours, i am sure, to complete...

grafitti to me is ususally just a name or a symbol or a word scrawled out ... something done quick to just "tag" up and area or a sign or a wall and the person moves on to the next item to tag it up...there is no "design" to it...no art element, if you will...

sure both mediums are done with spray paint but there is a big difference between the two...atleast in my eyes...
mrs, I wholeheartedly agree.

and here are a few more.

...........Cincinnati and Elmendorf.......................

anyone else with pix??

or even locations I can shoot.

mud

Old 09-11-2009, 05:09 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,972,336 times
I took a trip from DC to Newark NJ on Amtrak a few years ago. It was on that trip I learned the difference between "tagging" and "graffiti art." Yes, there were a lot of signs that people with an extra can of paint got bored and decided to scrawl some nonsense, but I saw more examples of things that require real ability and talent to accomplish.

I saw murals (with recognizable shapes, forms, perspective, and other things that art schools teach), really creative font design (examples of which were included by the OP), and everything in between. All this was shown to me just outside the window of the train car.

It takes talent to use more than a few colors and make something really "simple" like tagging come alive and actually mean something (to someone). Take a look at some of the most prolific artists of all time and you'll find techniques similar to those employed by so-called "graffiti artists."

In no way do I advocate the act of vandalism. Property belonging to someone else should not be used as a canvas without permission. Period. However, if blessing is given to the right person, a blank wall can become a really powerful tool for expressing an idea. It's a shame that more of the "gangstas" aren't encouraged to apply obvious talent to something useful (or legal).

--Dim

Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,838,945 times
This thread crashed my ipod when I tried to load page 1. Just saying for anybody else that browses on something other than a computer...

Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 PM

13 posts, read 47,948 times
Here's a few from around Town...

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/5949/brazosst001.jpg (broken link)

This is my favorite...

I have more that I will post later.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,167,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaHaTeni View Post
Here's a few from around Town...

I love the Japanese one; where is that one?

Last edited by Bo; 10-06-2009 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Shortened quote to help the thread load faster. ;)

Old 10-06-2009, 03:24 PM

98 posts, read 123,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawatchdog View Post
lets not forget how many people criticized Picasso in his early years calling his work demonic critics even called him "devil incarnate" and most believed he was neurotic i guess "gang banger" is the new term being used these days
My thoughts exactly! I personally don't care for Picasso's art, but do recognize it as art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio