Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 AM

23 posts, read 73,834 times

Advertisements

Howdy, I was wondering what's your opinion on take out tipping. Is it required or not, or does it depend on the restaurant?
I just got some take out at Olive Garden and the credit card slip had the tip section. I didn't feel it necessary to tip since I phoned in an order and walked inside to pay at the front counter. But the cashier's attitude changed after he saw that I didn't leave a tip. He was slighty colder as I asked for plastic utensils. He didn't even say thank you, come again, or whatever. I did thank him though. Anyhow, I'd just like to get your thoughts. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,413,882 times
I never tip for carry out. I equate it with going to McDonalds or somewhere like that and I wouldn't even think of tipping them. Just be pleasant and if they get upset, oh well, let them stew.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:32 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,932 times
If I have to go to the counter and order, go back and pick up my food (whether I take it with me or eat it there) they're not getting a tip from me.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,141,331 times
I never used to tip at take-out places, until my kid started working the counter at a restaurant with take-out service. Now I tip 10% at those places whenever I see a tip jar and a tip line on the receipt. He says most people don't tip, but it is definitely appreciated when they do. Those counter-service people work hard, too.

AFAIK, counter-service people are not considered tipped employees, so they don't receive a wage that's below the minimum. Therefore, it's perfectly acceptable to tip them less than you would tip waitstaff for table service.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:50 AM

779 posts, read 1,662,209 times
too many people are getting spoiled with the whole "tip" idea. seems everywhere you go nowadays, there's a "tip" line on the receipt.

as for the "change in attitude"....when did it become so that money just comes your way for doing nothing? spoiled! If you want my money, then work for it, and i'll be generous. Treat me like crap, and you'll get crap in return. Simple formula.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCounty View Post
Howdy, I was wondering what's your opinion on take out tipping. Is it required or not, or does it depend on the restaurant?
I just got some take out at Olive Garden and the credit card slip had the tip section. I didn't feel it necessary to tip since I phoned in an order and walked inside to pay at the front counter. But the cashier's attitude changed after he saw that I didn't leave a tip. He was slighty colder as I asked for plastic utensils. He didn't even say thank you, come again, or whatever. I did thank him though. Anyhow, I'd just like to get your thoughts. Thanks
Truthfully, I am getting a little tired of all this tipping crap and I am a very good tipper when I think it is warrented. Like you, I do not see any reason to tip on take out orders.

You know I read an article a few years ago about tipping in Vegas (the tipping capital of the world) to make a long story short, if you were to tip everyone who handles your bags from the time you get them at baggage claim until you get to your hotel room you would have spent just about $8.00per bag. It goes something like this: you tip the guy that drives the rental car van for handling your bags, then you get to your hotel and you tip the guy who helps you get them out of the car plus the doorman. Of course now you go to the desk, check in (by now the bellman has them) you finish checking in, head to your room and proceed to call for them. The baggage handler brings them up and you tip him, each person should be tipped about $2 per bag. Of course then there is valet,, I love using valet, but what happen to tipping them only when they bring you your car? Apparently now, we are to tip at both ends.

OK, my rant is over for the day...

Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,723,537 times
Depends for me. If I go pick up a burrito w/ counter service I won't tip. That's equivalent to Subway for me.

If I call in take-out at a sit-down restaurant that costs around $10-15 per person, I usually tip 10% rounded down to the closest 50 cents.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:08 PM

779 posts, read 1,662,209 times
ooohhh....made the mistake of getting valet at a local bar one time. granted my car is lowered a bit (for performance reasons) I saw the driver come down an incline and scrape my front end. I was livid! then he comes up to me, gets out, and looks at me expecting his tip.....I took a deep breath, got inside and drove off.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:10 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,696,806 times
The rule of thumb use to be, if someone came to your table and brought your food to you...you tip. But now there are these 'hybrid' places like Vegas buffets..where you get your food, but a waiter takes your drink order and brings them to you. ( you tip for drink and how well they keep your table clean)
And then there is Sonic, even though your order is taken via microphone, someone brings your food to you....so YES - YOU TIP AT SONIC.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM

33 posts, read 86,402 times
I've asked my friends in the restaurant industry about this, and they unanimously say you should tip on take out from non-fast food establishments. I usually tip 15-20% on take out from "sit down" type places.

The truth is that aside from taking care of your beverages and clearing your table, someone (usually wait or bar staff) is doing the same work as the waiters who are working the tables out front. They're taking your order, inputting it in to the computer, making sure the order comes out together and is complete and accurate, pack it up, ring you up, etc. The people handling to-go orders aren't typically earning more than the standard $2.15 (or whatever it is these days) per hour that waiters who are getting (hopefully) 20% tips are (as opposed to people who work at, say, fast food places earning minimum wage and never rely on tips) . And in many restaurants, they are still required to "tip out" a certain percentage of sales to support staff, regardless of what they brought in. Crappy policy? Absolutely. But knowing this is how it works, I'd feel like a total jerk for not giving at the very least a few bucks. If I can spend $20 (or whatever) on carry out, surely I can throw in another $3 for the person who took care of my order....

Now, I'd much prefer an all-inclusive price (like most of Europe) that already includes taxes and gratuity, but until we have that I think its important to realize that tipping is part of the cost of dining out in this country (or in some cases, carrying out).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio