Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,136,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendox View Post
does anyone know where one could find a list of current openings at Citi? I looked on the citi website for careers, but did not see any listings for San Antonio.
Maybe there aren't any? Citigroup announced 9,000 job cuts on Monday. It wouldn't surprise me if the cuts led to a hiring freeze.

Last edited by Bo; 04-23-2008 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 04:07 PM

163 posts, read 546,528 times
I worked for Citi for 5 years before coming over to USAA last year and I don't regret the decision I made one bit.

At Citi I started on the phones for consumer accounts, then moved to business account servicing, then became a supervisor (escalation team) in CitiBusiness. I got to travel to the Tucson and Kentucky offices for projects on the company dime and was treated very well. I worked really hard though and before I became a supervisor, the pressure to sell was annoying. I also hated how we never had team meetings because the phones would blow up and they'd shove us back on the phone. I won their yearly CitiStar a couple times and if not for the $500 bonus, I would not have made any bonuses whatsoever in my time there. I left because management opportunites were few and far between and I wanted to move up in the company.

At USAA I work in loan processing and don't have many incoming calls. I make a higher salary than at Citi, my medical benefits are really cheap, and I was able to get a credit card, renters insurance, and auto insurance at a fraction of what I used to pay. The Christmas bonus was a whole week's pay and even though my annual bonus was prorated, I still got $2500. Bottom line, I'm doing way better than I was at Citi.

I think a lot of the people that complain about USAA are either spoiled or never worked anywhere else, to be honest. The vibe was scary when I started with Bob Davis at the helm, but Gen. Robles has been doing really nice things for the employees since he came in. Last week they fed us breakfast, lunch, and snacks at no charge all day and the management seems to keep looking for ways to keep things interesting. Our team meeting a few weeks ago was a 2-hour Guitar Hero tournament...Citi would never do that. I'm also drowning in allt he free t-shirts I've received here.

I'm still no closer to a management position than I was at Citi, but if you're going entry-level..you'll get WAY more out of coming to USAA than Citi. You get 401k matching to 8% that vests in 3 years and the college tuition program is really good. Go to Citi if you don't get hired by USAA.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:34 PM

385 posts, read 627,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
Nope, not in the call center. I've wondered the same thing, because they do have a different environment... for example, they keep track of when you're available for phone calls, whereas I can go for a jog on their campus from 2-3pm and it's perfectly fine.

I think overall, the call center folks do have more they can (rightfully) complain about, but it's definitely not the horror story some make it out to be. It's a great atmosphere regardless of what area you're in.
As someone who does work in the call center area, Policy Service (Auto, Renters, Valuable Personal Property insurance) I can share that it is a very high stress environment . At USAA, Policy Service is at the bottom of the USAA hierarchy and we field calls almost non stop adjusting policies as well as acting like a switchboard when we re route calls to Life, Bank, & Investments.

It's not all negative of course. The perks are numerous: the pay, the bonuses, the paid time off, the amenities, paying for your tuition after a year of being employed there (they will pay for your bachelors, masters or doctorate!) so there are plenty of pros...however...if you can't handle a high stress phone job...at least until you can move into a higher position...(18 months is the norm in Policy Service...and that's expecting to be able to get promoted into a non phone position after those 18 months which doesn't always necessarily happen) then I'd suggest a different place to work or attempting to enter at a higher than entry level position.

I'll hit my 18 month mark in March of 2009. Believe you me, that month can not come quick enough.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,372 times
Bump

Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,972,731 times
If you are on the phone, both are probably equally miserable.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:14 PM

75 posts, read 192,353 times
Is Rackspace hiring in IT? I heard they were better thn those companies

Old 01-11-2014, 05:36 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,717,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcall View Post
Is Rackspace hiring in IT? I heard they were better than those companies
Did you check their website? I'm sure that would be a better place than asking us.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,318 times
I used to work for Citi and hated every second of it. Horrible bank and horrible employer. Chase has a huge call center as well on that side of town. I'd try them or USAA.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,943 times
I was a contractor at USAA for 8 months and it is a good environment. Just the downside is that you dont get the same benefits as permanent employees. Also, because of lack of transportation and not being able to commute with a coworker I had to stop working there. I wouldnt' mind taking a bus but timing it takes from south SA to there is long and cant afford a taxi. Also, they do offer carpool but only for permanent employees NOT contractors.

I just got job offers to work at Citi group as a contractor and its closer to home. But wanted to know if they have rideshares/carpool? Also, is it the same environment as USAA (cafeteria, gyms, etc)?

I dislike call centers as well and worked as USAA mostly on processing payments and updating employee timesheets. Still I dont like sitting all day infront of a computer so I would take breaks n just get up to take a stretch. I guess its only stressful when you work at call centers, or have to meet a certain deadline.

Last edited by angel_twilight; 03-06-2014 at 06:03 PM..

Old 03-07-2014, 03:54 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,803,376 times
Why move, USAA is giving everyone an 18.7 percent pay raise !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio