Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 04:48 PM

4 posts, read 38,378 times

Advertisements

Does anyone work at USAA? I'm considering moving to S.A. because I've been offered a position there. How's the company culture and work atmosphere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 05:04 PM

852 posts, read 3,819,393 times
The workers must like coffee: There are three Starbucks on their campus.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:17 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,664,008 times
I have two friends that just got hired (CS degrees) and a few neighbors that work there. The guys that got hired so far love the place. The ones that work there seem to love it and all the perks that USAA has. Several onsite gyms plus jogging track and these are nice gyms that provide towels etc from what I here. Good childcare if you are interested in that. A schools out type of childcare also and then ymca holds summer camps for USAA on the property there. I have one friend that left USAA but that was more because he did not mesh with San Antonio his wife though loved it and was sad to leave but she folled him back to CT. They have good perks from what I have been told but also heard they just did some house cleaning on the CS/IT dept that some did not like so they left but don't know that personally. All around pretty good place I think.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:24 PM

469 posts, read 2,344,672 times
USAA is well known for being one of the best companies in the US to work for. I know several people who work there now and they love it. They've made it into a pretty all inclusive campus and the childcare and other benefits are supposed to be great.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 35,067 times
I used to work for USAA at one of their other locations out west and have relatives who work in the San Antonio office. It's a good company to work for and they have alof of amenities and benefits, but I didn't like how they constantly acted like you should feel fortunate to work for them. Yes, it's a great company, but that shouldn't mean that I have to fall on my feet every morning and thank them over and over for allowing me to work there.
As far as corporations go USAA is about as good as gets though.

I have since then left the private sector and work for City Government now, after getting tired of being laid off from my last 2 jobs due to outsourcing.
I would never ever return to the private sector.
Job security is what matters to me more than anything.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 38,378 times
Any other pro & con opinions out there? Also, it appears that living anywhere near I-10 would make for a decent commute to USAA - true?

Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,250,925 times
The would be a very big True.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:03 PM

351 posts, read 1,587,057 times
Hello,

Grown up across the street (IH-10) from USAA all of my life and my Mother worked for them for 5 years in the 70's. I am in Baghdad and investing all of the money that I am earning here with USAA. I have seen so well treated that when I do come home I have decided to finish my bachelors and major in Business and Finance just so I can work for this fantastic company. They take care of their employees and their customers better than ANY other company that I have dealt with in any enviroment. I have known people who hated it there, but with a bad attitude, you will not be happy anywhere (my ex-brother in law, loser!). The drive is right off of a major highway and if you go north of San Antonio the scenery is fantastic with plenty of new malls and retail outlets going in so everything is convenient to IH-10. Good luck I think you will love it.
sincerely yours,
crazedchef

Old 11-04-2007, 09:03 PM

265 posts, read 1,192,060 times
I came across another USAA message board where everything said was negative. I am just so stumped! They said there was a culture of fear & paranoia, restructuring every 4-5 mos., people relocating from out of state who get fired or quit soon after they arrive and terrible leadership. Is any of this true?

Old 11-04-2007, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 15,665 times
Default Depends upon perspective

Both sets of feedback are probably true. I'm not very fond of either SA or the company, but don't let the opinion of others drive your decision. If you are not being hired into a very senior position the politics will likely not be an issue at the company, and if you like a small-town environment (with some heat and bugs) you'll probably like SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio