Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 09:44 PM

457 posts, read 661,730 times

Advertisements

..was beginning to wonder if you became one of the Gone But Not Forgotten...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 12:00 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Glad you're still around Bud!

Old 09-17-2015, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 7,810 times
Dirt-track races, drive-in eateries, black cows - good old San Antone!

I got here two weeks after top soil and just after Big Foot Wallace headed out with John Coffee "Jack" Hayes and Rip Ford to points west.

The Flame drive-in - yummy! Was a dude called "Hands" what did drag racing out W W White near United Gas. He showed out by passing a half-dollar coin through his wedding ring. His running pal had a '50 Ford with no hood showing eight one-barrels and a moded Lincoln Flathead.

Speaking of running - ever been to the Running Bear drive-in?

"Running Bear loved Little White Dove with a love as big as the sky. Running Bear..."

George Dill

Old 09-17-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdillcd15 View Post
Dirt-track races, drive-in eateries, black cows - good old San Antone!

I got here two weeks after top soil and just after Big Foot Wallace headed out with John Coffee "Jack" Hayes and Rip Ford to points west.

The Flame drive-in - yummy! Was a dude called "Hands" what did drag racing out W W White near United Gas. He showed out by passing a half-dollar coin through his wedding ring. His running pal had a '50 Ford with no hood showing eight one-barrels and a moded Lincoln Flathead.

Speaking of running - ever been to the Running Bear drive-in?

"Running Bear loved Little White Dove with a love as big as the sky. Running Bear..."

George Dill
You must have been a little before my time George. The old Howell Refinery is still there at S. Presa and SE Military. I forget it's current name. The Flame is long gone though the building remains as a Mexican restaurant. All of Brooks AFB now City Base is a whole new world. Someone else on here spoke of United Gas at WW White and SE Military i think. Running Bear at Mission Rd. and SE Military is long gone. Stopped there for a beer here and there long ago. Building gone and a little double strip center with flower shop and headstone shop etc in it's place. Bobby Bare's still around I think.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:44 PM

457 posts, read 661,730 times
In reorganizing a collection of images, I rediscovered this absolute jewel of a source for pictures,
well worth saving in "favorites" !

Zintgraff Studio Photograph Collection

Here's a rewarding expenditure of an hour or so, exploring downtown S.A. from 1880's to 1960's.
..a tour that many will recognize...

Old 09-17-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basse Bud View Post
In reorganizing a collection of images, I rediscovered this absolute jewel of a source for pictures,
well worth saving in "favorites" !

Zintgraff Studio Photograph Collection

Here's a rewarding expenditure of an hour or so, exploring downtown S.A. from 1880's to 1960's.
..a tour that many will recognize...
I discovered the Zintgraff Collection at the Institute of Texan Cultures years ago Bud. I'm glad they've finally digitized much of it. I've waded through it a few times. Always wished there was more.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:07 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Still There,

I cannot believe the sign is still there.....KRESS Click image for larger version

Name:	smart phone 3.3 megapixels 179.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	665.8 KB
ID:	157991
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
You must have been a little before my time George. The old Howell Refinery is still there at S. Presa and SE Military. I forget it's current name. The Flame is long gone though the building remains as a Mexican restaurant. All of Brooks AFB now City Base is a whole new world. Someone else on here spoke of United Gas at WW White and SE Military i think. Running Bear at Mission Rd. and SE Military is long gone. Stopped there for a beer here and there long ago. Building gone and a little double strip center with flower shop and headstone shop etc in it's place. Bobby Bare's still around I think.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I cannot believe the sign is still there.....KRESS Attachment 157991
I can't recall exactly where Kress is/was. Wasn't it Neisner's that had the Chimp in the basement? Across from City Hall? Most of my downtown exploits were before I was 12. If that's a Kress sign still standing it would be strange.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:57 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Chimp in the Basement,

I had completely forgotten all about this until you stirred up the muck from my memories. A Chimp in the basement. Yes, I remember seeing that now. Don't , can't remember which store it was in though.
This sign is still there though, it plainly reads- Kress. These posted are poor quality pics, from an older phone- from before the cameras were improved to the point where they take such high quality pictures as they currently do. Hell I think the brand new phone cameras are at 16 megapixels- this picture was taken with only 3.3 pixels of resolution. IT does say Kress, however. Download the pic and magnify it, you can read it.
This sign was there, at least it was when I took this particular set of pictures in 2012. What else can it be? There is the proof. Seeing is believing. We also used to go to Kress, Neisner's, etc. also. We, both, are I believe- around the same age I believe SATX, but I also believe you might be a little bit older.

I too, was under twelve years old when I used to go downtown with my mom to shop, this was in the day before suburbian shopping malls were built- so downtown we used to venture to exactly like my mom used to do as a child so many, many years before, to shop for things. Everyone did. It was the place to go.

378 Houston st. is the address on google maps for this Kress sign location, I looked at this again out of curiosity and it is indeed still there, yes, and can more clearly be read there. In fact there are two Kress storefront signs on the google maps site, with a jogger running by the store front except now it is a Texas De Brazil Restaurant , which I have never patronized. The signs remain.
These old signs must be 60-80 years old? More? Google cameras are merely a little higher quality than mine was and so pictures are plainly decipherible. I have bought a regular camera now, a Nikon. Humorously -when buying this new camera, the camera guy advised me to buy not the highest quality camera available because with higher resolution also come facial shape and complexion flaws that appear too clearly visible in group portrait -pictures. He held his palms with finders outspread around either side of his face to emphasize his point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I can't recall exactly where Kress is/was. Wasn't it Neisner's that had the Chimp in the basement? Across from City Hall? Most of my downtown exploits were before I was 12. If that's a Kress sign still standing it would be strange.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I had completely forgotten all about this until you stirred up the muck from my memories. A Chimp in the basement. Yes, I remember seeing that now. Don't , can't remember which store it was in though.
This sign is still there though, it plainly reads- Kress. These posted are poor quality pics, from an older phone- from before the cameras were improved to the point where they take such high quality pictures as they currently do. Hell I think the brand new phone cameras are at 16 megapixels- this picture was taken with only 3.3 pixels of resolution. IT does say Kress, however. Download the pic and magnify it, you can read it.
This sign was there, at least it was when I took this particular set of pictures in 2012. What else can it be? There is the proof. Seeing is believing. We also used to go to Kress, Neisner's, etc. also. We, both, are I believe- around the same age I believe SATX, but I also believe you might be a little bit older.

I too, was under twelve years old when I used to go downtown with my mom to shop, this was in the day before suburbian shopping malls were built- so downtown we used to venture to exactly like my mom used to do as a child so many, many years before, to shop for things. Everyone did. It was the place to go.

378 Houston st. is the address on google maps for this Kress sign location, I looked at this again out of curiosity and it is indeed still there, yes, and can more clearly be read there. In fact there are two Kress storefront signs on the google maps site, with a jogger running by the store front except now it is a Texas De Brazil Restaurant , which I have never patronized. The signs remain.
These old signs must be 60-80 years old? More? Google cameras are merely a little higher quality than mine was and so pictures are plainly decipherible. I have bought a regular camera now, a Nikon. Humorously -when buying this new camera, the camera guy advised me to buy not the highest quality camera available because with higher resolution also come facial shape and complexion flaws that appear too clearly visible in group portrait -pictures. He held his palms with finders outspread around either side of his face to emphasize his point.
I'll be 64 by the year's end. Wished we'd had the hi res digital cameras in our youth. What joy we would have looking back at our youth. This younger generation seems to have no real concern for capturing moments in time for later enjoyment. It's live for today in this generation. They seem irked when I mention what used to be. They have the best means available to document every moment in time. It's a crying shame.

I best remember Joske's and their regular product demonstrations. (think Ron Popeil) Also the submarine like pinging noise over the PA system. The Mezzanine floor, the basement, the Christmas Display and restaurant. There was Wolf & Marx and I've forgotten the other Landmarks now. Going to the magnificent Majestic Theater and then to eat at Manhattan. Hardly recall Coney Island. The Aztec and Texas too a kid could be taken away by the scenery.
Our southside Sears and Roebuck was a true landmark. Devastating to see it go and the building demolished. It was all we had besides Thom McAn shoes (maybe Brunners) until McCreless Mall was built. Downtown started a downhill spiral after all the malls started up.

I wish i had some of the old signage from these old places. Hindsight is 20/20. Wish I was better at photography too. I like to watch "Pickers" on the History channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio