Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:05 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,239 times

Advertisements

Here's my question...

Why even broadcast in 720p or 1080i if most of your footage and on-the-street cams aren't HD compatible? The only real advantage to HD is when they're doing in-studio stuff (ie, weather) and you can really see the difference between that and a SD pic. The train wreck of having to sit through Chris Marrou, his badly dyed hairline and his snarky delivery isn't any better in glorious high definition.

Once they switch totally to hd cams, the news will then be high-def to me.

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Here's my question...

Why even broadcast in 720p or 1080i if most of your footage and on-the-street cams aren't HD compatible? The only real advantage to HD is when they're doing in-studio stuff (ie, weather) and you can really see the difference between that and a SD pic. The train wreck of having to sit through Chris Marrou, his badly dyed hairline and his snarky delivery isn't any better in glorious high definition.

Once they switch totally to hd cams, the news will then be high-def to me.
Bragging rights.

The transmitter, HD satellite receiver and master control were probably in the first HD equipment budget cycle. That had to be an investment over $1 million.

The studio equipment (cameras/switchers/miles of wiring/etc.) were probably acquired over at least two budget cycles. Another million for this wouldn't surprise me. Once they were in place, the HD newscasts could begin.

The news-acquisition equipment would be the next big purchase. When I worked in TV news, the camera, lens and recorder that each videographer used in the field cost $80,000. I doubt they cost any less now. I would venture that the 10PM news stations here each have 8-10 of those. Plus they have to have digital edit bays to edit all of the HD footage they're now acquiring. Figure at least half a dozen of those at another $100,000 apiece and they've blown through another half-mil.

It's not easy to fit the better part of a million dollars worth of any equipment into a news department budget. In this advertising market, it's got to be downright painful... or impossible. When you look at the money involved, it's easy to understand why only two stations have HD news here, and neither is 100% in HD.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:21 PM

80 posts, read 194,613 times
Just watched a bit of KSAT news...it is definitely NOT in high definition. Just widescreen.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:20 AM

162 posts, read 539,439 times
I'm sure they're phasing it in gradually - thus no major publicity. Probably a good way to go.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,709 times
Here is the email I sent to KSAT!

Dear KSAT:

KSAT you are my favorite station to watch because of your on-air personalities. However, I find myself watching KENS also....... WHY you ask?

Have you all ever watched KENS in high definition?

Well, I recently saw that KSAT is now in "high definition."

But when comparing both OTA stations, KENS has a more crip, clear, and conciseness in its picture.

KSAT is still using yellow bright flower-y flashy colors that look like they belong in an elementary school book!!

KENS colors and graphics are sleek, modern, and very eye pleasant!

KSAT still uses (since October 2003) a "blue screen" as a news set. Not only is this highly TACKY but it makes KSAT look like a STARS WARS FUTURISTIC imaginary news set and not in a "good way."

KSAT Weather graphics look like they have been held over since 1999.

KENS Weather graphics are in fine detail and much more crisp and terrain-like and "high definition" vibrant!

KENS Sportscasters sit down by a Plasma television doing the Sports.

Greg Simmons, David Sears, and Larry Ramirez have "another" imaginary too flashy and blah "blue screen" graphic when doing sports.

KSAT advertises TOO MUCH on City Cam and the ads are TOO large

KENS has SMALLER (more discrete) ads on their Sky Cam.

KSAT, you all have had since 2003 TO GET A REAL NEWS SET AND IT'S 2009!

I have visited the KSAT news set before on a tour.

Next to the "blue screen" news set, behind those two doors is a little (hidden) set that is used for telethons and phone banks. I say KNOCK all of that down, expand it, and make a MASSIVE modern news set to RIVAL KENS (your chief TV rival).

Do you really want to keep presenting this tacky presentation to the viewers???

Or will you get with 2009 and modernize up?

I HOPE SO!!

Let's do it KSAT!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 AM

898 posts, read 2,895,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Here is the email I sent to KSAT!

Dear KSAT:

KSAT you are my favorite station to watch because of your on-air personalities. However, I find myself watching KENS also....... WHY you ask?

Have you all ever watched KENS in high definition?

Well, I recently saw that KSAT is now in "high definition."

But when comparing both OTA stations, KENS has a more crip, clear, and conciseness in its picture.

KSAT is still using yellow bright flower-y flashy colors that look like they belong in an elementary school book!!

KENS colors and graphics are sleek, modern, and very eye pleasant!

KSAT still uses (since October 2003) a "blue screen" as a news set. Not only is this highly TACKY but it makes KSAT look like a STARS WARS FUTURISTIC imaginary news set and not in a "good way."

KSAT Weather graphics look like they have been held over since 1999.

KENS Weather graphics are in fine detail and much more crisp and terrain-like and "high definition" vibrant!

KENS Sportscasters sit down by a Plasma television doing the Sports.

Greg Simmons, David Sears, and Larry Ramirez have "another" imaginary too flashy and blah "blue screen" graphic when doing sports.

KSAT advertises TOO MUCH on City Cam and the ads are TOO large

KENS has SMALLER (more discrete) ads on their Sky Cam.

KSAT, you all have had since 2003 TO GET A REAL NEWS SET AND IT'S 2009!

I have visited the KSAT news set before on a tour.

Next to the "blue screen" news set, behind those two doors is a little (hidden) set that is used for telethons and phone banks. I say KNOCK all of that down, expand it, and make a MASSIVE modern news set to RIVAL KENS (your chief TV rival).

Do you really want to keep presenting this tacky presentation to the viewers???

Or will you get with 2009 and modernize up?

I HOPE SO!!

Let's do it KSAT!
wow! you hit the nail right on the head. I agree with everything you said. its true, some of KENS graphics are so cool to look at. especially during the weather.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 PM

276 posts, read 970,008 times
Do the people at KSAT realize that their HD picture looks like crap? I can't believe they haven't fixed the fuzziness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio