Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:02 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,490,916 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 12:55 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,683,823 times
I want my...I want myyyy...I want myyyyyyy MTV. Sorry, HAD to do it.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,830,596 times
The thing that I don't get it:

They (Viacom and TWC) had to know about this for weeks..even months. Why wasn't something said/done earlier? Things like this just don't pop out of the woodwork.
Whoopps...contract is up...what?....Viacom wants more money?...all one or 2 days before the channels go dark? Something smells rotten in Denmark.

Viacom is claiming that this increase will amount to 23 cents per subscriber !! 23 cents!! If it's so little...why haven't they taken out ads in papers, bought some radio time or even some TV time to explain their position?

Viacom happens to be a client of mine...I know exactly when the contract expires...it just doesn't sneak up on me.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:45 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,052,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawk36 View Post
Time Warner did this crap in Austin when I moved here and we were soemthing like 50 some days with no NBC, I want to say it was the same deal .. Viacom wanted to up their prices. Normally I think that wouldn't be a problem as Time Warner would have just upped our prices, but now with their price lock guarantee they can't make my costs go up and so Time Warner sure isn't gonna take the bite. What I don't get though is that HELLO it's a few hours from 2009, I can watch nearly everything online now days, I don't need Time Warner OR Viacom. Quite honestly between being able to stream Netflix through my son's XBOX and having the ability to watch any show I watch online (even premium channel shows) .... I am thinking of dropping cable TV all together! I also agree with Dementius88, my lock in price included certain channels, you take those away, you better lower my price!
Brilliant! I'm with you! Except instead of Netflix I'll stick with the Redbox. I don't watch enough movies to make Netflix worthwhile--at least I don't think so.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:39 PM

475 posts, read 1,094,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
I don't even have TWC and I have to read the stupid message all day now while my little one watches Nick... I'm personally offended by being brought into this stupid mess when it doesn't even concern me. So lame and makes me hate TWC and Viacom both, we might have to watch PBS this morning instead, or old TiVo'd episodes of Backyardigans instead.
I hate it too! If Viacom (or KENS last month) are willing to annoy those of us who are not TW customers, they are just as bad as TW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawk36 View Post
Time Warner did this crap in Austin when I moved here and we were soemthing like 50 some days with no NBC, I want to say it was the same deal .. Viacom wanted to up their prices. Normally I think that wouldn't be a problem as Time Warner would have just upped our prices, but now with their price lock guarantee they can't make my costs go up and so Time Warner sure isn't gonna take the bite. What I don't get though is that HELLO it's a few hours from 2009, I can watch nearly everything online now days, I don't need Time Warner OR Viacom. Quite honestly between being able to stream Netflix through my son's XBOX and having the ability to watch any show I watch online (even premium channel shows) .... I am thinking of dropping cable TV all together! I also agree with Dementius88, my lock in price included certain channels, you take those away, you better lower my price!
In fact, the online viewing of programs is one reason TW isn't caving so quickly. Viacom channels' ratings are down due to more and more viewers (who tend to skew younger and very net savvy) watching online at their websites. As TW points out, Viacom isn't sharing ad revenue they make online with TW so why should TW pay Viacom more for fewer viewers -- this affects local ad revenue for TW.

Last edited by datacity; 12-31-2008 at 03:51 PM..

Old 12-31-2008, 03:57 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,408,484 times
I still don't get why people are blaming TWC. They're being extorted and not giving in. You would think that would make them more of the good guy..

Old 12-31-2008, 04:00 PM

20 posts, read 52,694 times
I say if Viacom wants more money then I'm ok with losing the channels, granted I dont watch probably 15 of them it's not a big loss to me. This day in age downloading your tv shows is so easy or even watching them online but I feel for the people who do watch these channels and or do not wish to watch them on their computer.

This is the first im hearing about this, I do hope however with the loss of these stations my monthly fee will go down :-P

Old 12-31-2008, 05:07 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,715,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle13 View Post
I sincerely hope you are joking.
semi-kidding. I'm a freelance fashion blogger and it helps me quite a bit to watch, aside from that I just enjoy the "unreality" of it. Trashy reality is my downfall. And yes, I know I can watch them online.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:22 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,052,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
semi-kidding. I'm a freelance fashion blogger and it helps me quite a bit to watch, aside from that I just enjoy the "unreality" of it. Trashy reality is my downfall. And yes, I know I can watch them online.
It's not your downfall........that sounds too negative. It's your guilty pleasure....see, that has a nicer ring to it.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:21 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,715,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
It's not your downfall........that sounds too negative. It's your guilty pleasure....see, that has a nicer ring to it.
That was the word I was look for! Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio