Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
hahaha, my parents made a snowman
omg, that is the cutest snowman ever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 01:30 PM

172 posts, read 468,543 times
lol nice
Dont worry it will be in the 80s this weekend.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:55 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
hahaha, my parents made a snowman
omgosh....that is tooo funny!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:33 AM

266 posts, read 706,260 times
Lmao, I totally understand why you folks are excited. For someone like me who lived and worked in the cold and snow my whole life before moving here, these things make me chuckle.

Imagine moving someplace north and your town got hit with 100 deg temps for 3 days. The news acted like everyone was going to die, and was on 24 hours a day keeping everyone updated on the “heat Blast!” or “devils inferno” or what ever name they wanted to call it. Every ten minutes they would interview someone who was sweating, talking about how hot it was and hoped it would end soon and they would give you tips on driving in the heat and how heat effects cars motors and tires.

You would die laughing, I mean tears running down your face at the absurdity! Remember the “artic blast” from last year or was it the year before? We had freezing rain and san Antonio lost its mind. My sides hurt from watching the news laughing.

The thought of people staying up to the wee hours of the morning with their kids just to stand in their yard to watch snow falling makes me shrug and chuckle. But I hope you all did enjoy it, I enjoied watching your enjoy it. I also sent links to friend back in Montana to the news videos about the snow…I think I hear them laughing

Old 12-11-2008, 10:16 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post
Lmao, I totally understand why you folks are excited. For someone like me who lived and worked in the cold and snow my whole life before moving here, these things make me chuckle.

Imagine moving someplace north and your town got hit with 100 deg temps for 3 days. The news acted like everyone was going to die, and was on 24 hours a day keeping everyone updated on the “heat Blast!” or “devils inferno” or what ever name they wanted to call it. Every ten minutes they would interview someone who was sweating, talking about how hot it was and hoped it would end soon and they would give you tips on driving in the heat and how heat effects cars motors and tires.

You would die laughing, I mean tears running down your face at the absurdity! Remember the “artic blast” from last year or was it the year before? We had freezing rain and san Antonio lost its mind. My sides hurt from watching the news laughing.

The thought of people staying up to the wee hours of the morning with their kids just to stand in their yard to watch snow falling makes me shrug and chuckle. But I hope you all did enjoy it, I enjoied watching your enjoy it. I also sent links to friend back in Montana to the news videos about the snow…I think I hear them laughing
Omgosh....you're so right. We do get giddy at the sight of it! I think part of it is nostalgic....just remembering as a child seeing a first snowfall ever...and that was anywhere! I remember my parents waking us all up to watch it snow in the middle of the night in Illinois! I think I was about 4! It was so magical. I did the same with my kids when they were little.

The other half is the concern with "ice" more than snow. If it stayed nice and fluffy and pretty it wouldn't be a problem so much...at least until it melted and started refreezing at night. In Texas....from Dallas to San Antonio, we're more prone to ice storms...and even that is sort of rare (more rare here than Dallas). And yes, lots of people "freak" because we can't put chains on our tires for a rare storm....and mostly because the majority of the population here doesn't know how to drive in it. The city basically HAS to shut down because of "black ice" and icy overpasses that are truly deadly. It does sound silly .....but in the bigger picture, it's really in the better interest of the community. If it's not horribly bad, "essential" jobs (hospitals, EMS, SAPD etc) run skeleton crews at the very least.

I would be completely happy without the ICE!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post

you bet we get excited at things like this --- i am 38 yrs old and lived here all my life and since i have been alive it has snowed only a handful of times, i can count on 1 hand the number of times ---

so if that means waking up my kids at 1230am to see the first snow ever, of their lives, then yeah, that's what we do...the look on their faces and my 6yr old asking "mommy, you mean we can touch it"? ... having them taste it and make the first snowball ever ... and then putting them back to sleep with HUGE smiles on their faces, well, i guess it was all worth it...

even if it's at the expense of other peoples humor...glad i was able to provide you and your out of state friends with such a huge laugh...

Old 12-11-2008, 06:25 PM

266 posts, read 706,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
you bet we get excited at things like this --- i am 38 yrs old and lived here all my life and since i have been alive it has snowed only a handful of times, i can count on 1 hand the number of times ---

so if that means waking up my kids at 1230am to see the first snow ever, of their lives, then yeah, that's what we do...the look on their faces and my 6yr old asking "mommy, you mean we can touch it"? ... having them taste it and make the first snowball ever ... and then putting them back to sleep with HUGE smiles on their faces, well, i guess it was all worth it...

even if it's at the expense of other peoples humor...glad i was able to provide you and your out of state friends with such a huge laugh...

please dont get me wrong, i like seeing this happen. im not really making fun of you or saying you all are doing anything other than what a normal person would do, i just find it amusing thats all. everyone should see snow fall at least once.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:35 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
I came thisclose to driving my kids all the way to Victoria back in 2004 (?) maybe 2005--I can't remember which, but it was Christmas eve, snowing down there like crazy, and I actually regret not taking them! I had a co-worker at the time that lived there, and he e-mailed me his pics, and OMG it was beautiful and actually accumulated--like 11 inches or something crazy like that. I would totally wake my kids up to see the snow if it happened here.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
bringing this back in the hopes of seeing some pictures from today

Old 02-23-2010, 04:12 PM

RD... we did get snowfall today at our house... it didn't stick, but it came down for about 20-30 mins... it was pretty heavy at one point and big snowflakes to boot!!! --- the kids loved it!!! --- i got some pics but now sure how good they came out... will try to post some later...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio