Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 03:23 PM

6 posts, read 18,225 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I want to take a trip down to Monterrey, Mexico by myself next week. I was planning on driving down there from San Antonio. I've been hearing some bad stories about kidnappings and people getting jacked and stuff and people even being harvested for their organs! I'm especially concerned since I will be going by myself and I drive a pretty nice car... BMW 6 series droptop. My friends are all cautioning me and telling me not to go. Does anyone have any input as to whether this is a good idea or if I'm just completely freakin nuts?!? Thanks.

Last edited by Bo; 11-24-2008 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Updated title to reflect the direction of the thread and to make thread easier to find with search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 04:01 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,416,853 times
Driving a 6-series convertible in SA is freakin nuts. You'll need a much stronger word for even thinking about driving one down there..

BTW. I haven't heard about the organ harvesting. Are you sure you didn't read that one in an e-mail? That's an old hoax and I think only china does it in real life.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:27 PM

6 posts, read 18,225 times
Really?!? I never would have considered SA to be such a high crime area where I couldnt drive my Beamer. Although I've never been in SA, I've been to other cities w/ worse perceived crime rates (least in my mind) such as Baltimore, Wash DC, NY + NJ.

As far as in Mexico, I figured I might be OK if I fill up on gas in SA, avoid the border towns & rural areas, and drive straight to Monterrey w/o making any stops (if i can help it). What do you guys think?

Old 11-23-2008, 04:28 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,904,875 times
TheRe is a bus that goes down for a tour weekend. or during the week, Americanos Bus goes daily. the fare is not expensive(can't remember the cost). I would not drive a BMW6 into Mexico or even in and around Monterry. the drug cartel is very strong in Monterry lately and lots of "wars" between the factions. Monterry is safe for the most part. just use common sense while there. Driving it by yourself in a high profile car is NOT a good idea.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:37 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,184,849 times
I have a friend who lost a kidney is Monterrey recently.....

True story!

Be careful!

Old 11-23-2008, 04:43 PM

I didn't mean getting it stolen in SA, I meant driving it with the Moderator cut: bad SA drivers, who often don't have insurance and are drunk.

Last edited by Bo; 11-23-2008 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Replaced inappropriate term.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:30 PM

187 posts, read 947,547 times
fl2ny - bad idea to take a really nice car to Mexico. Not the harvesting or crazy urban legends like that but US cars do get stolen there.

And Moderator cut: personal attack there are cars far nicer in Mexico driven around all the time. The rich in Mexico are far more extravagant and rich then they are here.

The reason its a bad idea is that thieves know that the options and possibility of receovery are less for a foreigner than for a native. You can get insurance to drive in Mexico. Better option? - rent a car once there. I drove a bug (sedan) all over Mexico City.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-24-2008 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: No personal attacks per ToS! We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:31 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,782,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2NY View Post
Really?!? I never would have considered SA to be such a high crime area where I couldnt drive my Beamer. Although I've never been in SA, I've been to other cities w/ worse perceived crime rates (least in my mind) such as Baltimore, Wash DC, NY + NJ.
LOL, I would have to assume RD was talking about something he complains frequently about on this board, the drivers. Personally I don't think drivers in SA are bad, there are some bad drivers but I've seen worse in other places (looking at you Houston).

Old 11-23-2008, 05:40 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,782,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I didn't mean getting it stolen in SA, I meant driving it with the bad SA drivers, who often don't have insurance and are drunk.
Just like I thought.

Though that's a terrible generalization.

Last edited by Bo; 11-23-2008 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Updated quote to match original.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:46 PM

ignorant is a harsh word and you should be more careful with it. Especially when you spew "facts" that aren't even close to accurate.. mexico has 10 billionaires and the U.S. has a little bit more than that (The World's Billionaires - Forbes.com) sort it by citizenship. Carlos Slim is #2, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio