Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:43 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2NY View Post
Thanks for sharing your story SVG. After hearing what you went through, I don't think I'll be taking my Beemer to Mexico. I still want to go to Mexico, and really don't feel like taking the plane or a bus. I'm probably going to do this... when I reach SA, I'll just get a rental car... cheapest one that I can get... m/b a KIA RIO or something like that. I'll be sure to fill up on gas in TX, than drive straight into Monterrey & be sure to avoid border towns & rural areas. Oh, and also I will be sure to fill up my tank as often as I can where I feel safe & not let it get too low (lesson learned...SVG). Do you guys think that if I do all those things, it should be relatively safe? Oh, and I'll be sure to be a polite driver and give Hummers & other drug lords the right of way (Thanks Buffy).

Curious though SVG, why did you even take the risk to slow down & give the guy a finger?? Seems like if the highway was open enough, you could have just hauled ass from the get go...

Thanks for everyones input!
I did it for a selfish Reason my friend, personal joy and my darn Ego. I wanted to see the face of the guy who was following, call me crazy but I havent forgot that face and I look for it every time I go down there. Fortune and god favored me that day and it wasnt my time. Will I do it again? Probably not. I'll haul from the get go next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The two governments need to work closer and harder to end the violence that is prohibiting travel and trade across the border!

Cheers! M2
well....unfortunately 300 years of trying hasn't worked too well!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:42 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
like Ron White once said..

Old 11-24-2008, 05:51 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
hope they allow it MMM, Mazatlan is one of my most favorite cities in the world. The people are very nice and there's just something in the air that makes me happy.
There's also a Sinaloa drug cartel unfortunately..
Can you tell us some about Mazatlan,
I've heard that the beaches in the Pacific are better in Mexico and I've been doing some research about a trip to Mazatlan.

For the people that don't know, this is what I know,
the road up to Durango is fine,
the final 200 miles is a 2 lane road through some wild mountains and takes forever to drive through there to get to Mazatlan, I've read that people have to drive about 45MPH through there.
The mexican government is building a highway to encourage tourism from Northern Mexico and Texas to Mazatlan, but it'll take many years to finish.

The worst area is known as "Espinazo del Diablo"

http://www.viajesbaluarte.com/mazatlan/tours/espinazo_del_diablo/images/el_espinazo_del_diablo_03.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-24-2008 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Picture chng'd to link. Folks, if it's not your picture, it's most likely copyrighted, so please post the link only.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 PM

The best part about Mazatlan is the 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 margaritas, or at least that's where it starts for me. There's just something about the people and the attitude that makes me happy there. However, I first went in the mid 90's and it lost something the other three times I went. I think that was because more people discovered it and took away some innocence. The worst part was most of the growth was people from Texas and California. There were more of those plates last time I was there than Sinaloa plates.
Definitely don't go in the summer because it's crazy hot. The winter can actually get cold, but that is rare. Spring Break was VERY nice..
BTW, three of the four visits were work related (a guided missile cruiser, destroyer, and a Coast Guard Cutter). Fourth time was a vacation with the family and we flew in and took cabs around.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 AM

22 posts, read 46,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2NY View Post
Hi,

I want to take a trip down to Monterrey, Mexico by myself next week. I was planning on driving down there from San Antonio. I've been hearing some bad stories about kidnappings and people getting jacked and stuff and people even being harvested for their organs! I'm especially concerned since I will be going by myself and I drive a pretty nice car... BMW 6 series droptop. My friends are all cautioning me and telling me not to go. Does anyone have any input as to whether this is a good idea or if I'm just completely freakin nuts?!? Thanks.
Hi FL2NY,

On my own experience traveling to Monterrey, which by the way I was born and raised there, its not as bad as tv, newspapers make it seem.
I drive an Escalade, and believe me alot of people over there have better cars than mine.
When I go over there and I go around the city I do not carry my credit cards, the most I take is little cash. Do not carry your passport, just your Texas ID, and that will do.
Of course, always be in the outlook for something suspicious.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,602 times
Don't you need a Passport to travel to Mexico these days?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:41 AM

22 posts, read 46,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Don't you need a Passport to travel to Mexico these days?
Yes, sorry for the confusion; I meant to say don't bring it with you when are around the city. Leave it at the place you are staying in.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza25rc View Post
I drive an Escalade, and believe me alot of people over there have better cars than mine.
I guess nobody will try to steal my Mercury Sable 95

Actually, we would take my wife's Nissan Altima 98

Old 11-25-2008, 11:24 AM

I always thought they were more interested in the people in the car, as in kidnapping. And a flashy car let them know that the people inside were probably worth more than someone in something like a 95 Dodge Ram.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio