Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:00 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,213,907 times

Advertisements

When you get these sales calls on the phone just try to sell them something back. We did that one time and tried to sell the guy a truck. When he tried to get back to his great credit card offer we would keep talking about our great truck for sale. He said "I don't need a truck", we said "I don't need a credit card", "but it's a great deal", "so is this truck" this went on and on. He finally started laughing and said "have a nice day".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 09:09 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,560,523 times
LOL!!! Good idea TXtrkgrl!!

I always wanted to do that when I was the office manager at a Real Estate office. People would come in ALL the time trying to sell one thing or another, ESPECIALLY these people that would be selling "homebaked bread" for some sort of "ministry". I always wanted to say, "ya know! So and so just listed this fabulous house, and it's only $.....! Ya want me to go get him so that he can tell you all about it?? No? Why not? I mean, you DID come in to our place of business, where we have things to sell??"

Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,213,907 times
HAHA Jules, you should have done it!! I would have loved to hear their response.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:17 AM

141 posts, read 508,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanefam03 View Post
Twice in the past week I have had young ladies coming to my door selling magazines. Well they say that they are earning points towards job training or college. Both ladies had different stories. Anyway was wondering if anyone else has encountered these people and if this business is legitimate. The one last night asked me if I had any food for her. I told her dinner wasn't ready yet and gave her a banana to go away.
so weird, cuz this also happened to me yesterday, and she was pretty pushy and almost "put out" by my insistence that i have very little to no expendable income for a magazine subscription...let's see, groceries and gas or the lastest REDBOOK?... lol :P

but she was pushing PC World Magazine on me. and i told her, "i don't care, i have a mac, thanks..." actually i have both PC and mac, but they don't need to know that.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 AM

734 posts, read 3,017,769 times
I hate it when I open my door and they will try and shove something in my hands. I fell for the "free sample" of laundry soap once. Well not really fell for it, but I took it from her and then listened for a minute realizing it wasn't really free. They always want to come in and show me how a cleaner works and I'm like "Yeah right am I going to let you in my house."

Old 11-13-2008, 01:32 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,339,013 times
I had this happen to me a few years ago. It was cold out. I was home alone. He said he was cold, and asked if he could come in for a minute. I told him no. He begged. When I started to close the door he pushed on it, and said, "Just for a minute till I can warm up." I slammed it then. I was kinda scared. I felt bad. Maybe he really was cold. Or maybe he was about to rob me.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:34 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,466,627 times
OK...time for "true confessions"...and I SWEAR this is a TRUE story.

So we get these Jehovah's Witnesses that come to our neighborhood about twice a year...and they always seem to park close to our house, so we get to see them stand and talk before the spread out to canvas.

One fine morning, DH and I saw them and knew the drill, but were in the process of driving off to do something as we saw two of them walking towards our door in the rear view mirror.

When we got home, our darling son proceeds to tell us we will NEVER be bothered by them again...when they came to the door, he feined interest and invited them inside. After a few minutes, he started jerking his head and yelling cuss words...between which he apologized PROFUSELY stating he suffered from tourette syndrome (he does not).... He said they looked at each other and said "we better go now" and to this day they have NOT come back to our house and have never parked near us again...I think the word is out!

Old 11-13-2008, 04:26 PM

905 posts, read 2,961,641 times
I read through some of the stories on the link momzillajen posted. Sad, very sad. I still won't open the door to them, even if it was cold outside and they begged. Especially after reading those stories....

Old 11-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Owl

112 posts, read 556,364 times
Okay, Saphire! I did it! I did it! I talked pirate to a guy who came knocking on the door with his scam--in this case a mentoring scam.

We live in a small gated tract. It's got a sign at the gate, "No solicitors." This, of course, means nothing to solicitors.

So late this afternoon, we get an aggressive pounding on our door. Mr. Nice Guy--that would be my husband--opens it. Mr. Slick, with his "mentoring program" starts off on his endless, hard-edged spiel, and when my husband tried nicely to say, "no thanks," it made no difference.

That's when I remembered Saphire's advice: Talk pirate!

I did. It shocked the guy. He said, "Whoa...that's pretty hard." I must've been a pretty good pirate, what?

With CEO's ripping us off to the tune of billions, what do we need with scam artists knocking on our doors--if we can even afford doors anymore?! Arrgh...

Old 11-15-2008, 08:52 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,055,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
Okay, Saphire! I did it! I did it! I talked pirate to a guy who came knocking on the door with his scam--in this case a mentoring scam.

We live in a small gated tract. It's got a sign at the gate, "No solicitors." This, of course, means nothing to solicitors.

So late this afternoon, we get an aggressive pounding on our door. Mr. Nice Guy--that would be my husband--opens it. Mr. Slick, with his "mentoring program" starts off on his endless, hard-edged spiel, and when my husband tried nicely to say, "no thanks," it made no difference.

That's when I remembered Saphire's advice: Talk pirate!

I did. It shocked the guy. He said, "Whoa...that's pretty hard." I must've been a pretty good pirate, what?

With CEO's ripping us off to the tune of billions, what do we need with scam artists knocking on our doors--if we can even afford doors anymore?! Arrgh...
Priceless! That's too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio