Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:48 PM

16 posts, read 206,823 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, my wife and I have rented in San Antonio for a couple of years and now its time to buy our first home. We are not originally from SA but when we moved down here, we lived close to the UTSA area and we really feel comfortable in the Northwest part of town.

During our home searching, we have found 2 homes we really like but one is on the Northwest area (Braun & 1604 - Guilbeau Park sub division) and the Northeast area (Topperwein & Nacodoches – Raintree sub division). One thing I like about the house by Topperwein & Nacodoches is it would put me less than 10 minutes away from work. So I am really considering moving over to the northeast side to be closer to work but I don’t know much about that area.

I'd really hate to unknowingly move into a bad part of town just to be closer to work. So I would like ask some questions and hear your opinions about the Topperwein & Nacodoches area specifically the Raintree sub division.

I have seen lots of homes for sale in this area so I wonder... Could this be a red flag?

What is the crime rate like?

How are the the schools, soil, traffic?

I there anything that I should know about this area before I make this big decision?

And finally and most subjective question, if you had to make the choice, would you pick the far Northwest side or the far Northeast side? Please no fighting and respect others.

Thanks in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
The school districts are a wash, since both Northside and North East are very good, but the individual schools may make the difference. Since it's part of the MLS listing for the two houses, can you post which schools' attendance areas the two neighborhoods fall into?

My top of the head impression is that there is both rush-hour congestion and highway construction at Braun and 1604. I would expect less congestion, but possibly more traffic on Nacogdoches.

Someone once posted here that the Nacogdoches corridor has some of the highest crime in the city. I don't know if it's only in the commercial areas on Nacogdoches or in the nearby neighborhoods. Braun and 1604 is a newer area, so there may not be as much data on crime there. That doesn't mean that there isn't/won't be crime.

Personally, I'd put up with a lot for a shorter commute, assuming I liked the house and the neighborhood. So I'd be leaning toward Nacogdoches.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:40 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times
I would compare the age of the houses, the neighborhoods. The amenities. Your commute has a lot to do with it. But, you may find someone in the NW to commute with. I lived in the NE for 10 years, then moved to NW, I like NW better, My Opin. SA Is growing that way, the NE Rolling Oaks mall is deteriorating, the new one at 1604 & 35 is nice, so thats cool, Schools, age of your children? that has a factor. Your new neighbors, ck em out, best you can at both places. that could be a deal breaker.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. Right now our daughter is 2 years old. The neighborhood details are listed as follows:

NorthEast side.
House is 7 years old
Raintree Sub Division
Fox Run Elementary
Wood Middle
Madison High School

NorthWest Side
House 15 years old
Guilbeau Park Division
Brauchle Elementary School
Stevenson Middle School
O’connor High School (don’t know if Brandeis would take over once open)

The impression I got just from driving around is that the crime rate could be higher around the North East side. The reason I get that impression is just by the way the neighborhoods were kept up, and I also noticed lots of graffiti “tagging”. It also seems as if the commercial areas around 1604 and Bandera are nicer and newer than Nacodoches and 1604. I also feel like Rolling Oaks Mall is deteriorating.

I just wish an overpass was built on Braun and 1604. That street light really causes traffic to back up on 1604. Then the commute would not be that big of a deal to me. Does anyone know if there are any plans to continue the 1604 Freeway passed Braun?

Old 08-01-2008, 02:50 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie350 View Post
I just wish an overpass was built on Braun and 1604. That street light really causes traffic to back up on 1604. Then the commute would not be that big of a deal to me. Does anyone know if there are any plans to continue the 1604 Freeway passed Braun?
Yes, as part of the 1604 tollway project. It's described in detail on my site, along with TxDOT's computer animation of it. DM me if you want the link.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Yes, as part of the 1604 tollway project. It's described in detail on my site, along with TxDOT's computer animation of it. DM me if you want the link.
DM Sent. Thanks TexHwyMan!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:22 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,553,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The school districts are a wash, since both Northside and North East are very good, but the individual schools may make the difference. Since it's part of the MLS listing for the two houses, can you post which schools' attendance areas the two neighborhoods fall into?
I've said it before, and I'll say it again ~ do NOT rely on what the MLS sheet says regarding schools!!!! They are QUITE often wrong, as many times the listing agent does not verify the current schools and the owner may be going off of old information. Check with the school district, either by calling or using the "boundaries and buses" search function on the website.

That said, since bowtie350's daughter is only 2, the schools could change AGAIN by the time she's school age.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:53 AM

284 posts, read 1,087,046 times
I grew up on the NW side and lived there until I was in my mid-20's. I moved to the NE area almost 20 years ago, not too far from the area you are considering. It took me a little bit of adjustment, but I love the NE side now. The NW seems so congested to me now because there are too few arteries/ways to get around.

Rolling Oaks Mall is fine. I would not say it is deteriorating and I go there almost every week. The Forum is wonderful and more stores are going in at 1604 and 35.

On the NE side you are close to 35, 1604 and not too far from 281. If you moved into Raintree you would be really close to the outstanding Semmes branch of the Public Library and Comanche Park.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 AM

28 posts, read 115,495 times
I grew up and live on the NE side (Naco and 1604) close to area you are talking about. First off, Rolling Oaks mall is NOT deteriorating, it's a "brand new mall inside". A big rennovation was completed about 2 years ago.

As far as crime I'd say the NW side has the worst crime rate in the city. Everytime you watch the news the majority of the bad news comes from the NW side of town.

The NE side has the beautiful Comanche park with the Semmes library attached (it is a really nice library). There is also the Forum shopping center with a lot of places to go, it's so big you need your car to get from one end to the other (especially on a hot day)

The schools are in the NorthEast ISD which is one of the best disctricts in the city.

In my opinion, I'd pick the house on the NE side.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
That said, since bowtie350's daughter is only 2, the schools could change AGAIN by the time she's school age.
Especially in the Northside ISD. Their spokesperson said a while back that the average NISD student who lives in the same residence for his/her entire K-12 school "career" can expect to be switched to another attendance area at least once during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio