Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:03 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,458,156 times

Advertisements

^^ according to the State ratings all the NEISD High Schools are rated exactly the same...Academically Acceptable.
I would look at the elementary schools for a better picture of neighborhoods.
106 HARMONY HILLS EL Academically Acceptable
117 WINDCREST EL Academically Acceptable
112 RIDGEVIEW EL Academically Acceptable
109 NORTHWOOD EL Recognized
138 ROYAL RIDGE EL Recognized...( just north of Windcrest)
118 CAMELOT EL Recognized...(just south of windcrest)
101 CASTLE HILLS EL Recognized
All these we taken from http://www.tea.state.tx.us/cgi/sas/broker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 02:22 AM

546 posts, read 3,110,578 times
Now, maybe the Windcrest area isn't quite Skid Row or the Bowery just yet, and perhaps using the term "slum" isn't the nicest thing to say, but man, some of you folks on here sure are touchy. Ignorant? Ouch!

Anyhoo, I almost forgot, you might want to check out Hollywood Park, HUGE yards, heavily wooded, deer all over the dang place, in NEISD - you shouldn't have a problem finding a 50's/60's Ranch fixer-upper for under 200K (but it definately WILL be a fixer-upper, it can get fairly pricey there).

Here's something interesting I found in the SA Express:

Hollywood Park picked as a top place to live

Hollywood Park, known in San Antonio for problems with its deer population, has another label nationally: one of the top 100 places to raise a family.

The suburb earned the ranking in Frommer's &ldquoBest Places to Raise Your Family: the Top 100 Affordable Communities in the U.S.&rdquo

The book highlights 100 communities and rates them based on local interviews and an evaluation of affordability, schools, safety and lifestyle.

Hollywood Park ranked high for its cost of living, location in the North East Independent School District and nearby amenities.

&ldquoMost of the homes are 40 to 50 years old, well-built and unique in design,&rdquo the book says. &ldquoThe problem is that Hollywood Park isn't large, and homes that come onto the market don't stay on the market for long.&rdquo

Growth and sprawl, summer heat and health and safety issues such as allergies and San Antonio's crime rate were listed as negatives in the book.

But there's no mention of the deer controversy.

The issue of what to do with Hollywood Park's plentiful herds has divided the North Central city for years and often triggers strong emotions.

Some residents argue that the deer enhance the quality of life in the wooded community, but others say the deer eat plants and flowers, attack pets and pose a traffic hazard.

Still, Hollywood Park residents can take heart. They were the only San Antonio area community that made it into the book.

The only other Texas communities on the list are West Austin, Flower Mound, Abilene and Tyler.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:23 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,695,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
...Here's something interesting I found in the SA Express:

Hollywood Park picked as a top place to live

Hollywood Park, known in San Antonio for problems with its deer population, has another label nationally: one of the top 100 places to raise a family...
I think they left a word out. It should read:

One of the top 100 places to raise a "deer" family.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:08 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,108,551 times
My personal choice out of those listed would be Harmony Hills. It's very nice, centrally located, and if you have elementary-age kids, Harmony Hills ES is a great school. My son went there from 1st-3rd and loved it. NEISD is a really good school district, IMO. My oldest son graduated from Churchill in 05, and the teachers there are top-notch. Harmony Hills the neighborhood is old, but the homes have been kept up very nicely. Lots of families have moved in and remodeled (updated) the houses and are very happy there.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:28 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,255,426 times
I think people have it really wrong. Windcrest is a really nice area, it's also really really freakin' safe. So much so that not one murder has been committed in Windcrest in the last decade.

I believe when people say Windcrest is "iffy" or "slum like" they are def. referring to the area outside of Windcrest, not Windcrest itself.

And for the person who mentioned Windsor Park Mall, it should be noted that that entire site will be tore down and redeveloped.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:41 AM

154 posts, read 631,766 times
Elementary schools are not an issue for us at all - our youngest has two years left of high school, and that's it.

We're fully aware that by looking for a bargain-priced old home to remodel, we're likely to be in a more "borderline" area by the definition of some. We also have a philosophy in general that affects our choices. While we don't want to live next door to serious drug dealers, things that are important to a lot of people just aren't important to us.

We actually LIKE living in an area with a mix of different income groups and ethnicities. We think it keeps one real, keeps one human. Insulated far-suburban utopias where everyone is "just like us" are not our cup of tea. We're weird that way - hubby's a doctor, and the people we most despise hanging out with are other doctors and their wives. We know some very rich a-holes, and some of the smartest and best people we know are hard working blue collar families who can't quite afford to paint the house yet. It doesn't make them bad people.

We believe that the "suburban flight" that's so prevalent in cities is a bad thing, and that it gets turned around by those willing to take the risk and invest in reclaiming some of those older neighborhoods gone to seed. You'd be amazed what happens to a block when one or two families move in and start fixing up a house. It spreads! We can afford Stone Oak if we wanted, but you couldn't pay us to live there.

I guess it goes to show that "bad vs good" is entirely subjective.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,400,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
Now, maybe the Windcrest area isn't quite Skid Row or the Bowery just yet, and perhaps using the term "slum" isn't the nicest thing to say, but man, some of you folks on here sure are touchy. Ignorant? Ouch!

Googie....just for clarification, I'm personally looking out for my mother's interest. She lives in Windcrest and will have to sell her house in the next few years. It doesn't help her by having people call Windcrest "slummy". Windcrest proper is filled with retired career military and it's not even close your choice of adjectives. Windcrest is not a "neighborhood".....it is a city with all the "city" advantages of police, fire dept and laws, including those that pertain to property maintenance. It's actually ideal for retired military because it's in between Randoph and Ft. Sam for convenience to base or post facilities. I'm not disputing the problem areas that are nearby.

As her executrix, it's my duty to make sure she's taken care of and which means making sure she will get the most out of her home when she sells. That's her security since it's been paid off for years. Sadly, some of the surrounding neighborhoods have gone down quite a bit which have already hurt the resale of her home. I'll own up to being touchy because it involves my mother. Ignorant? not hardly.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,400,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPinSC View Post
Excellent post! I'm in the process of looking at some of those edgy neighborhoods myself. I agree that revitilization spreads! It's great to see it happen!

Old 01-25-2007, 02:01 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,338,545 times
Great post MPinSC!! As you know I'm in a similar situation, and will be one of those families moving in and investing in reclaiming one of those older neighborhoods. Besides, what's cooler than an older home and nabe with character. Just try not to spread the gospel until I get there. I don't want to get priced out.

Check out the thread I started "78228". SA folks had some good info I know you'll appreciate.

Last edited by PrettyHateMachine; 01-25-2007 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: run off

Old 01-25-2007, 04:40 PM

546 posts, read 3,110,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPinSC View Post

We actually LIKE living in an area with a mix of different income groups and ethnicities. We think it keeps one real, keeps one human. Insulated far-suburban utopias where everyone is "just like us" are not our cup of tea. We're weird that way - hubby's a doctor, and the people we most despise hanging out with are other doctors and their wives. We know some very rich a-holes, and some of the smartest and best people we know are hard working blue collar families who can't quite afford to paint the house yet. It doesn't make them bad people.

We believe that the "suburban flight" that's so prevalent in cities is a bad thing, and that it gets turned around by those willing to take the risk and invest in reclaiming some of those older neighborhoods gone to seed. You'd be amazed what happens to a block when one or two families move in and start fixing up a house. It spreads! We can afford Stone Oak if we wanted, but you couldn't pay us to live there.

Well, this changes things entirely, if you're truly looking at "transitional" areas with a nice mix of folks of varying backgrounds that's being fixed up, I would investigate Monticello Park, mostly 30's era, but a few ranches spread here and there on the outskirts, it's now a historical district. It's a very interesting mix; blue collar, white collar, artsy, etc., in fact a psychiatrist friend of mine lives there and loves it. Now, I'm biased, I owned a home there for a few years, lived next door to a UTSA professor, and, um, well, next to a halfway house type deal for newly released psych patients! I think I posted about this elsewhere. BUT there are homes/areas on certain streets that are comparable to Monte Vista. It's very affordable too. Now, I'm not trying to sell the area, I left myself primarily due to my neighbors, and the slow, slow progress of the "transition," but I think it might fit your definition of what you're looking for?

Another area that is interesting, centrally located, and has a really nice vibe, is Mahnke Park, although it's almost 100% Craftsman type bungalows. The area prices are starting to climb, and will someday be completely restored due to it's proximity to downtown, Alamo Heights and such. The location could not be better, but yeah, it's still shady, BUT that will absolutely reverse in the near future. I was looking to buy there for awhile, but I just really can't take the whole Crafstmen architecture, I'm MCM all the way (and yes, I love ranches too), that's why I've concentrated my search to Terrell Hills, Northwood, Northwood Estates, Oak Park, etc., which, hands down, have the best ranches and mid-century stuff in SA (along with Oak Hills and Oak Hills Terrace - another area you might dig, large yards, huge ranches, and has some really wild early 60's pads - a few wouldn't look out of place alongside a Richard Neutra design), but you will pay through the nose for it!

Anyway, I could go on and on all day, but I gotta run. Hope this helps, I know all this conflicting information can be daunting.

Oh yeah, the MLS can help you, and you might already use it, but if not, go to mysa.com, go to the real estate section, then use the "subdivision" search tool on the MLS, this will give you a pretty good snapshot of any given area in terms of housing stock...I'm obsessed with the MLS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio