Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 AM

17 posts, read 51,626 times

Advertisements

I didn't know that was still there! My boyfriend and I used to go there in the early 90's. There were waterfalls and fountains and it was lit up very pretty at night. We would always take a picnic. I think there was an office building nearby so I guess it was originally meant to be part of an office park.
Guess that never took off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:32 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,086,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloobug View Post
I didn't know that was still there! My boyfriend and I used to go there in the early 90's. There were waterfalls and fountains and it was lit up very pretty at night. We would always take a picnic. I think there was an office building nearby so I guess it was originally meant to be part of an office park.

Guess that never took off.
Thanks, at least now we know it was completed and functioning! The idea that it was part of an office park would make sense, as across the road is an business complex. I am hoping Drury Inn keeps it intact and uses it between its two locations that surround it. It would be nice if it were restore to its original glory; if we could find out who owns it and if there are any plans for the area, maybe some volunteer group would be willing to take it on once the construction is completed?

Cheers! M2

Old 06-25-2008, 06:12 PM

SnappyBob had some info on this park as well as a pic he posted in the GBNF thread, I am copying it here for all to enjoy...

Cheers! M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
MM, it is what's left of a business park from back in the 80's. It was a very beautiful place. There was a large pond at the lower end and they would pump the water up hill and let it run down the hill like a little brook. At the time I was going through SAC's photography program. I went out there one Sunday and took some pics. I enlarged one to an 8 X 10 and I have that one hanging in my office and another 11 X 14 hanging in my home. I'll try to scan it tonight and get it up. It's a very nice pic of one of the water falls. Soon after I took the series of pics I noticed that the water had stopped running and the place was drying up. I don't remember the name of the place but they should have been given an award on beautification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Major, here's that pic of the waterfall at the business park.

It really was a beautiful park. All of the park benches and picnic tables would have made it a great place to have lunch or take a break. I wish I could remember the name of it.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:04 PM

734 posts, read 3,026,713 times
Anyone know if this is still there - I saw quite a bit of construction on the lot near the Drury Inn, so I wonder if they tore it up. I keep meaning to drive by but I'm always late or going in the opposite direction.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:13 PM

Turtle_Mom

I go by there on occassion and it looks like it is still there, albeit squeezed in between all the construction. I still hope that Drury Inn will restore it to its former glory, as it is really a cool little place!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-03-2008, 04:28 PM

141 posts, read 510,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Turtle_Mom

I go by there on occassion and it looks like it is still there, albeit squeezed in between all the construction. I still hope that Drury Inn will restore it to its former glory, as it is really a cool little place!

Cheers! M2
thanks for the update Major, i too have been meaning to drive up and check it out, but it seems like it is inaccessable because of the construction...i hope they keep it and renovate it...it could be a great place for guests of the hotel or what not...

Old 10-03-2008, 05:31 PM

When I walked through there back in June you could access it from either the service road alongside 1604 or from the road on the opposite side of the park. I would recommend the latter as 1) it is farther away from the construction, and 2) you can park on the side of the road as it is very wide but has little traffic. I keep hoping they will renovate that little park, as pictures SnappyBob posted show it was quite a nice, relaxing place. It would need some serious work, as you can tell by the pics I posted it has been neglected for quite some time. That's a shame, as someone put a lot of work and effort into building it...

If anyone does go by there, please post an update. This place really struck a chord in me for some reason.

Cheers! M2

Old 04-18-2009, 05:04 PM

UPDATE!

Since it is my youngest's birthday today, we stopped by the Toy Zone on 1604 right next to the park. I didn't have my camera with me, but I decided to walk down it again to see if there has been much change since my last visit. The parking garage next to the Drury Inn has sprung up, and some of the construction has intruded on the park but not a lot. About the biggest change was when I got to the Proton road side of the park the entrance had been boarded up! I reversed my tracks and later we drove by to see if there were any signs. Well, there were a few about 'No Trespassing' but in my defense if you walk from the 1604 access road there weren't any (and I do look, as I have no intent of trespassing!), but nothing to indicate if the park will ever be restored to its former glory. The park itself is a little more rundown, a few more tree branches have fallen but at least someone appears to have pulled the shopping cart out of the north end of the water. There seems to be a bit more tagging on the walls as well, and with the construction and the wall on the NW side it feels as if it is being squeezed out of its existence. That would be a shame as the pics SnappyBob posted shows it was once a really beautiful place!

Oh, and today I noticed that one of the stone walkways does continue on the other side of Proton road, but it doesn't appear to follow the creek for too far and you can see a nice bench down the path a bit. There were several similar fences in the area between Proton and the access road, but none have survived...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-18-2009, 06:01 PM

18,223 posts, read 25,506,313 times
I live really close to it, but I'm moving to Cibolo, so I won't get involved in it.

But keep in mind that if you plan on trying to save this place, make sure that there's gonna be a place for people to park
because the lack of a place to park can be used as an excuse or reason to not save it.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:13 PM

I have no plans to save it myself, but it would be nice if the Drury Inn located right next to it would "adopt" it and bring it back to life if the area does belong to them.

As for parking, there is a multi-story parking garage going up right next to it, so that really wouldn't be an issue.

But that's a good question, does anyone know how we can find out who the owner is? I've tried BCAD.org, but it looks like it runs between two properties...

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio