Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 08:47 PM

3,281 posts, read 1,418,208 times

Advertisements

Hi,

A few weeks ago I posted here asking for some advice/suggestions on areas my daughter might want to look for an apartment in SA given that she will be moving from out of town to begin working UT Health SA. She ended up renting a place very close to the Medical Center....she, I, and her mother arrived Monday and are working to get her settled. First thing I noticed is that this is a much bigger, sprawling city than I imagined...yes, I am sure this just reflects on my ignorance, but I really was surprised. Given the size of the city, the traffic has been pretty insane...lots of cars moving about at all hours of the day. I think my daughter's choice to move to a place where she can walk to work if she wanted was a pretty good move for a new arrival. Once she gets acclimated and learns the flow and timing of traffic, she might be more comfortable looking for other housing options.

Regarding UT Health SA and the surrounding facilities, again, I was completely unaware about what a major medical center you guys had here. Other than being a patient, I haven first hand knowledge of medicine, etc. but the scale of the facilities is really impressive. If nothing else, I guess SA is a good place to get sick.

I'm not trying to get political with this statement, but I have been very impressed with the large number of people I have seen out and about wearing face masks. I know TX is having some significant issues with increased rates of infection with COVID-19, so I thought it was encouraging to see people trying to mitigate the spread of the disease. We thought we might have more luck buying disinfect wipes here and bringing some back home, but no dice. Looks like they are just as scarce a commodity here.

Really hot here too....that I expected. Quite unpleasant now, but looking forward to a winter visit.

We are disappointed that our visit is pretty limited in terms of doing things we would normally get out and do...eating out, shopping, etc. Just another reason for us to come back again and visit.

We are hoping to get some takeout barbecue tomorrow (Wed 6/24)....anu suggestions would be appreciated.

You guys have a nice city here, but drive slower for us out of towners who don't know where we are going!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 04:48 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,016 times
People who are native here like to call it a big city. It’s sprawled out so much, I laugh at the notion. Boston, NYC, Philly, those are big cities.

Traffic is actually lighter than usual because of covid. Oddly enough. Plus it’s summer. If schools go back to in person, watch out.

San Antonio politics is a mixed bag. I call it a blue bubble with chunks of Red. You have your republican neighborhoods, but it will mostly carry democratic elected types. Any other county outside the city is drastically different.

As far as BBQ is concerned, depends on how far you want to drive. Probably the best in town is Smoke Shack on Broadway. But there will be 100 different opinions on this. If you’re driving East on your way back stop at Salt Lick in Driftwood.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:43 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
My #1 favorite SA BBQ place was Bob's Smokehouse - it's now called "The Smokehouse", and is located at 3306 Roland Avenue - 210-333-9548. As of last week their dining room was closed, so it was take-out only, so if you're going to try it, you're going to have to take it to go - but it's WELL worth it, IMO. Ribs that'll make you slap you mama (as long as you can outrun her), and the brisket and sausage will put you off any diet for a month!

Old 06-24-2020, 06:32 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
People who are native here like to call it a big city. It’s sprawled out so much, I laugh at the notion. Boston, NYC, Philly, those are big cities.

Traffic is actually lighter than usual because of covid. Oddly enough. Plus it’s summer. If schools go back to in person, watch out.

San Antonio politics is a mixed bag. I call it a blue bubble with chunks of Red. You have your republican neighborhoods, but it will mostly carry democratic elected types. Any other county outside the city is drastically different.

As far as BBQ is concerned, depends on how far you want to drive. Probably the best in town is Smoke Shack on Broadway. But there will be 100 different opinions on this. If you’re driving East on your way back stop at Salt Lick in Driftwood.
I second Smoke Shack. IMO Rudy's is overrated.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:08 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
I'm not a huge BBQ buff. But, I did date a guy for about six months whose goal it was to eat throgh the top 100 BBQ places in Texas. As one of our get to know you dates we went to the Texas Monthly BBQ event in Austin. They invite all the people on the list to go out to the Palmer event center and you pay some ridiculous amount of money and eat your way through the BBQ. The regulars were there, but the one I was the most impressed with was 2M Smokehouse on WW White Road. It's newer (since I've left) and wasn't aware of it. https://www.2msmokehouse.com/

Salt Lick and Franklin's are still pretty fabulous, but those aren't local. However, Franklin's is doing curbside so no need to stand in the line anymore. (But, boy, the smell of Franklin's driving west on 7th is one of the favorite smells in the world next to driving past the Fiesta spice place on Colorado as you are on the lower deck of 10 heading into downtown SA).

I'm glad you are happy with the decision to move to the Medical Center. I wasn't going to say I was right all along, but I was right all along that it was the spot spot for her.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:16 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Try BBQ station, Urban Smoke is good too.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Come back in Nov / Dec for the Texas Hill Country Lighting Trail
https://www.doggonetexas.com/festiva...-lighting.html

and lighted Riverwalk
https://texashillcountry.com/hill-co...s-light-shows/

and Dickens on Main (Boerne)

And for Fredericksburg Lighted Parade...

And many concerts / events (Like the Harp Choir!)

I come mid Nov for a Thanksgiving annual retreat at a Bible school nearby (And stay through mid Dec)

BBQ is crazy priced, best to make your own (very cheap and just the way you like it)

Plenty of very affordable and good Tex-Mex (tastes vary)

Old 06-24-2020, 01:12 PM

216 posts, read 132,407 times
Default I am from here,

[quote=flashfearless;58463589]People who are native here like to call it a big city. It’s sprawled out so much, I laugh at the notion. Boston, NYC, Philly, those are big cities.

I know. This is also what is so very nice about San Antonio. How easily one can drive all the way across town in comparison to a truly large city.
If the roads are ever finished around here rush hour should ease up. However by this time we probably will have added another 89,000 people to the population.
What we must have here is the smallest big city in the country. It is because of this that San Antonio still retains a bit of its' quaintness too. In no-time flat one can cross town and be in the sticks. /QUOTE]

Old 06-24-2020, 01:54 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Thanks for checking in! I"m glad you enjoyed your trip. I suspect traffic in the medical center area is at normal levels (always pretty high) because all those big hospitals are staffed 24/7. From my perspective, near downtown, traffic is quite a bit lighter. People are taking the virus seriously - staying home and wearing masks. Our city/county leaders have been preaching caution all along, in spite of recommendations to the contrary from the state.

I hope you can come back in the winter, as mentioned above.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:54 AM

814 posts, read 676,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
My #1 favorite SA BBQ place was Bob's Smokehouse - it's now called "The Smokehouse", and is located at 3306 Roland Avenue - 210-333-9548. As of last week their dining room was closed, so it was take-out only, so if you're going to try it, you're going to have to take it to go - but it's WELL worth it, IMO. Ribs that'll make you slap you mama (as long as you can outrun her), and the brisket and sausage will put you off any diet for a month!
Roland Rd, found it !
thanks, getting a large to-go order together (for my neighbors who now have Covid).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio