Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Thanks TxHwyman, that's exactly what I needed!

Now I'm confused about the intersection tho - we live on a corner, there's a stop sign on one road, not the other (2 way stop). No crosswalk.

On every corner, people will park right up to the very edge. I see they must be 30 ft from the corner with the stop sign, but what about on the street that has no stop sign? I'd think the same would apply to the intersection, but the wording only indicates a stop sign, not any old intersection. From personal experience it's very dangerous! Every Sunday (and many nights) we deal with this thanks to the JW Hall across the street. No amount of asking them not to park there has helped. And the cops don't care on regular days, only on KW Fair days.
Here is the entire statute:
TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES (http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/htm/tn.007.00.000545.00.htm#545.302.00 - broken link)

Indeed, parking is restricted only in the case where there is a stop or yield sign. On the street without a sign, people can park all the way up to the intersection unless there is a crosswalk or no parking signs.

I agree this is dangerous and we had this situation where I live. People would park right up to the intersection at the exit from our subdivision and it was very hard to see oncoming traffic when trying to come out of the neighborhood. After a few serious accidents, the city came in and put up no parking signs for about 30 feet in each direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,618 times
are you allowed to park a couple feet near someones driveway?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:24 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-dub3211 View Post
are you allowed to park a couple feet near someones driveway?
As long as you're not blocking the driveway, yes. There is no requirement as to how far from the driveway you must leave clear, just that you're not in front of it.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,279 times
But don't be like my neighbors who like to park the arse end of their vehicle about a foot in to my 2-car driveway. I park both cars in my driveway whereas they park NONE in theirs. Park on the street...I don't care...but don't park to where you're blocking a foot of my driveway and I can't get my second (large) vehicle in my driveway.

Yes, I've talked to them...hubby has even gone over and asked them to move their car so he can park in our driveway...but they just do it again the next day.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:02 PM

443 posts, read 954,158 times
A good quality floor jack makes a very effective, impromptu vehicle moving device.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:47 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Would this help??

Last edited by elnina; 02-15-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,836 times
What if people are parking WAY too close to your driveway, to the point where you almost hit their car to get out? Is there some regulation stating the number of feet they must park away from the opening of a driveway? I am at my wits end. I've put notes on people's cars politely asking them not to do it or I will call police. I have even left my trash can far enough back so they cannot do it on a daily basis, but they move it onto the grass. I am really entertaining the idea of buying yellow pain and painting the concrete but I'm worried I would get into trouble. Any thoughts would be appreciated please help!!

Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Unless the vehicle is actually in front of the driveway, there is no prohibition in the Texas Transportation Code as to how close it can be parked to the driveway...

Quote:
Sec. 545.302. STOPPING, STANDING, OR PARKING PROHIBITED IN CERTAIN PLACES.

(a) An operator may not stop, stand, or park a vehicle:

(1) on the roadway side of a vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street;

(2) on a sidewalk;

(3) in an intersection;

(4) on a crosswalk;

(5) between a safety zone and the adjacent curb or within 30 feet of a place on the curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone, unless the governing body of a municipality designates a different length by signs or markings;

(6) alongside or opposite a street excavation or obstruction if stopping, standing, or parking the vehicle would obstruct traffic;

(7) on a bridge or other elevated structure on a highway or in a highway tunnel;

(8) on a railroad track; or

(9) where an official sign prohibits stopping.

(b) An operator may not, except momentarily to pick up or discharge a passenger, stand or park an occupied or unoccupied vehicle:

(1) in front of a public or private driveway;

(2) within 15 feet of a fire hydrant;

(3) within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection;

(4) within 30 feet on the approach to a flashing signal, stop sign, yield sign, or traffic-control signal located at the side of a roadway;

(5) within 20 feet of the driveway entrance to a fire station and on the side of a street opposite the entrance to a fire station within 75 feet of the entrance, if the entrance is properly marked with a sign; or

(6) where an official sign prohibits standing.

(c) An operator may not, except temporarily to load or unload merchandise or passengers, park an occupied or unoccupied vehicle:

(1) within 50 feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing; or

(2) where an official sign prohibits parking.

(d) A person may stop, stand, or park a bicycle on a sidewalk if the bicycle does not impede the normal and reasonable movement of pedestrian or other traffic on the sidewalk.

(e) A municipality may adopt an ordinance exempting a private vehicle operated by an elevator constructor responding to an elevator emergency from Subsections (a)(1), (a)(5), (a)(6), (a)(9), (b), and (c).

(f) Subsections (a), (b), and (c) do not apply if the avoidance of conflict with other traffic is necessary or if the operator is complying with the law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device.

(g) If the governing body of a municipality determines that it is necessary to improve the economic development of the municipality's central business district and that it will not adversely affect public safety, the governing body may adopt an ordinance regulating the standing, stopping, or parking of a vehicle at a place described by Subsection (a)(1), other than a road or highway in the state highway system, in the central business district of the municipality as defined in the ordinance. To the extent of any conflict between the ordinance and Subsection (a)(1), the ordinance controls.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 814, Sec. 1, eff. June 18, 1999.
So not only do you have no legal reason to call the police, you also don't have any right to paint the concrete as it is not your property and you could find yourself in trouble for doing so.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:47 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
Call the police department. In face, email them so you have proof if they say one thing, then do another. You need to have something showing that you can block UR driveway without any issues.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,150 times
I got a ticket in Dallas Texas (pleasant grove area) for blocking my own driveway with my car because I live in front of a elementary school and there wasn't anywhere else to park and I couldn't get in the driveway for all the cars in the middle of the street and parked cars. I am sickly and can't walk far. I fell asleep and didn't get back out there until 6pm. Can I fight the ticket or do I still have to pay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio