Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:58 PM

380 posts, read 1,280,698 times

Advertisements

If you listen to the media, the economy is crashing before our eyes. I know here in SA were not feeling it so much besides the gas pump, and now with ethanol were seeing it in our groceries bills.

I noticed a poll the other day that asked, "How are you cutting back spending" or something along that line.

So I am curious, how are we DataHeads cutting back if we actually are? The poll suggested folks weren't eating out as much.

I also want to suggest some good free family fun of checking out your local library. You pay for it already, might as well use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 AM

355 posts, read 1,376,100 times
This has nothing to do with the economy, just personal reasons, but we are cutting off the cable tv. There really is no good reason to have it. Im going to miss my fav tv shows but its for the best.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:25 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,543,778 times
Our family really needs to look at ways to cut corners and with summer coming the cable will probably be scaled back. Wow, are groceries going up! I brought in about 6 bags (not full) from the store yesterday and spent about $100. Milk was up about .30 cents. We will not eat out as much either, good thing grilling season is upon us. (is it ever NOT grilling season in SA?) I know we won't be traveling much this summer, probably just a few day trips.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:34 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,749,739 times
The best thing a person could do right now is work diligently to pay off any credit card debt they may have. It is time for American families to get their financial house in order.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,468,886 times
Could not agree more Banker.

Another easy way to cut corners is to PLAN your trip vs making 10 different "runs" for different things. I have a "schedule" where I get the drycleaning and drop off the next batch, buy things that I need from the store (Target, Ross, whatever, then hit the HEB on the way back. I TRY not to make unnecessary runs, but to incorporate with something else I am doing (on the way home from work). I don't know how much $$ it saves, but it definitely saves time!

Now that summer is coming, BBQ and enjoying being outside is a good one. Also Netflix vs going to the movies...that can save a LOT of $$.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:34 AM

72 posts, read 290,407 times
We have cut out going to the movies, hardly ever eat out anymore, and use the internet alot more for shopping.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:46 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,017,299 times
Basically with some of the prices of things.. it has made it to where you basically need to stop living like we did as Foolish spending individuals! I have paid off a bill or two, I still got a couple that I need to take care of but those are on the way. With two house payments and two car payments.. it can be low on the dollars at some times. But we working it one day at a time.. as best we can . Credit cards are number one on my list.. as banker said!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:50 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,658,733 times
Remember also that to do laundry during peak hours (usually afternoon hours) costs more than doing it off peak hours...every little bit makes a difference. check with CPS to see what those hours are cause I forgot.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:54 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,563,577 times
Honestly, we're not making any significant changes because we already live minimally by American standards at least. We don't buy a lot of stuff, we do have all newish energy star appliances but for luxury items like TVs, cars, etc, we're pretty basic - that said, I drive a hybrid, which wasn't cheap but is worth it; and we do without other things like a clothes dryer (we line dry). Now, we do eat out on occasion and are not likely to stop that, because it's one of the things we really enjoy, and when we eat out it isn't cheap, but we don't eat out often and never "waste" those occasions if we can avoid it (ie no Olive Garden/Chili's/name-whatever-chain) and we cook at home a lot.

I'm not going to list all the things we do/don't do. Most of it is more about saving the environment than saving money, including avoiding shopping for 'junk,' but it usually works out that way.

We still have to put money into our house, whether we like it or not! But we put more sweat equity into it.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 AM

119 posts, read 430,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
The best thing a person could do right now is work diligently to pay off any credit card debt they may have. It is time for American families to get their financial house in order.

We have exactly one year to do this. This is our last move into an apartment because it's high time for us to get a house. Even then we want a house with history...a fixer upper.

I consider myself very thrifty as is my husband I insist on buying most of my clothes, furniture, etc. second hand or otherwise on sale. This weekend I went shopping with my mom and I came out with three shirts and a pair of pants that were on sale, but still managed to spend 60 dollars. I said "Mom, do you know how much I could have bought at Goodwill for this much"? At least two of the shirts promote recycling and donating to the World Wildlife Fund. We do eat out alot (our guilty pleasure), but I suspect that since moving we will cook more at home. Our cars are old and owned outright, but are freakin gas guzzlers. I would like to buy a bike, but that's more for recreation because I don't imagine myself riding down the highway on a bicycle to get to work. There's a natural preserve in the area that costs 60 dollars annually for a membership and I REALLY would like to do this for recreation and health purposes. Also, we're looking to buy a mattress, but I just can't imagine us spending more than $250 on it. Talk about frugal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio