Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,557,488 times

Advertisements

Cash only for us when we go out. This way there are no extra monthly bills coming in. This helps limit our spending. Blockbuster instead of the movies. Cooking at home more, but even that with what you spend at the store can add up...but ya gotta eat. Stopped buying name brand products for the most part at the store.
Got rid of my blackberry and switched cellphone plans.
Gas is killing us as hubby drives 90 miles round trip for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 09:03 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,069,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
If you listen to the media, the economy is crashing before our eyes. I know here in SA were not feeling it so much besides the gas pump, and now with ethanol were seeing it in our groceries bills.

I noticed a poll the other day that asked, "How are you cutting back spending" or something along that line.

So I am curious, how are we DataHeads cutting back if we actually are? The poll suggested folks weren't eating out as much.

I also want to suggest some good free family fun of checking out your local library. You pay for it already, might as well use it.
i'm planning my errands more now than ever before. i will make two or three stops instead of just one using one trip. i am also eating out a lot less, making more sandwiches and cooking. i also cancelled time warner and am making do with network tv, the net, reading and netflix.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:08 AM

361 posts, read 928,037 times
Gold! Instead of saving money, try making it grow, and buying gold is a safe bet. I don't mean buying that graded collector crap either. Buy gold as a commodity at market value.

Beyond that, question the lavishness of your expenses. Do you need a new car every two years just to drive a newer model? No. Do you really need a Wii or PS3? No. Do you and your kids really need IPods and Blackberry's? No. Does a teenager really need a car that's as new as possible with $2000 rims on it? No.

Find ways to make money by selling off things you really don't use any more. I made a nice profit by Ebay'ing tons of crap I had lying around in boxes.

KEEP YOUR DAMN JOB! I can't emphasize that enough. The job market is trashed and getting worst. Don't risk a new career right now because right now stability is better than pushing for advancement.

Still, you have to spend money. We all do. We spent our way out of the great depression, and will have to spend our way out of this recession. That's why the gtovernment is handing out extra refunds in May. If everyone just sits on their money, the economy will only get worst.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:06 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,190,565 times
In my opinion getting out of debt ;using less gas and saving will do our economy more good that spending more.The government needs to cut back spending also.I agree with banker;our debt is the nomber 1 issue.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:20 AM

129 posts, read 514,721 times
Spocks Beard (or anyone)

What about selling gold? I had never owned any but husband won a couple bars at work last yr or so when they were worth about 650 or so. Now at 1000 ea, should I sell or hang on to? I know its an impossible ?

and we are like chaka, living below our means. We have no credit card debt.
Fortunately, husband makes twice what he did 10 years ago. So we try to save alot, putting max in for his 401. We just opened 2 Roth accts and as long as I'm working, will put in the max monthly.

my job of 23 yrs is on shaky ground, we didnt even get paid last Fri! Chinese bought the co several years ago, and now sales are in the toilet. Most sales repand customers have abandoned ship, wish I could. Looking for work, but its tough out there. but we still take trips, eat out once in awhile, and we are looking for new TV for bedroom. What 37 in would you guys buy?

Old 03-17-2008, 11:23 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,589,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnativegirl View Post
Spocks Beard (or anyone)

I should clarify that we live this way partly because I do have debt - student loans and use 100% of my salary to pay them off (and a little bit left on my hybrid, which I bought new in 2005 when my 94 Isuzu Stylus died). We live entirely off my husband's salary. But otherwise we live quite simply and focus our spending on the things that matter to us.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:46 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,858,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post
Gold! Instead of saving money, try making it grow, and buying gold is a safe bet. I don't mean buying that graded collector crap either. Buy gold as a commodity at market value.

Beyond that, question the lavishness of your expenses. Do you need a new car every two years just to drive a newer model? No. Do you really need a Wii or PS3? No. Do you and your kids really need IPods and Blackberry's? No. Does a teenager really need a car that's as new as possible with $2000 rims on it? No.

Find ways to make money by selling off things you really don't use any more. I made a nice profit by Ebay'ing tons of crap I had lying around in boxes.

KEEP YOUR DAMN JOB! I can't emphasize that enough. The job market is trashed and getting worst. Don't risk a new career right now because right now stability is better than pushing for advancement.

Still, you have to spend money. We all do. We spent our way out of the great depression, and will have to spend our way out of this recession. That's why the gtovernment is handing out extra refunds in May. If everyone just sits on their money, the economy will only get worst.

Spock's got it right. Buy Gold,Silver, Platinum and Palladium. Bullion only...no numismatic stuff. Even 90% silver "junk" coins will do in case *hit hits the fan.
What we are witnessing is unprecedented (look at Bear Stearns deal yesterday)...now Fed issues a rate cut OVER THE WEEKEND!! Very rare.

Bottom line....The American economy is not invincible. You are already seeing several forms of cash injection by the Fed.... Next step...world powers will probably try to prop the dollar up as best they can...but it won't be nearly enough. Then hyperinflation.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:47 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,858,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnativegirl View Post
Spocks Beard (or anyone)

What about selling gold? I had never owned any but husband won a couple bars at work last yr or so when they were worth about 650 or so. Now at 1000 ea, should I sell or hang on to? I know its an impossible ?

Fortunately, husband makes twice what he did 10 years ago. So we try to save alot, putting max in for his 401. We just opened 2 Roth accts and as long as I'm working, will put in the max monthly.

my job of 23 yrs is on shaky ground, we didnt even get paid last Fri! Chinese bought the co several years ago, and now sales are in the toilet. Most sales repand customers have abandoned ship, wish I could. Looking for work, but its tough out there. but we still take trips, eat out once in awhile, and we are looking for new TV for bedroom. What 37 in would you guys buy?
Why in God's name would you want to sell now??? Unless you need the money, now is definitely not the same to be selling...you should be buying bullion.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:58 PM

129 posts, read 514,721 times
Thanks Firstclassflyer- My husband is the one that thinks the price is going to drop, therefore wants to sell.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:37 PM

394 posts, read 1,510,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Spock's got it right. Buy Gold,Silver, Platinum and Palladium. Bullion only...no numismatic stuff. Even 90% silver "junk" coins will do in case *hit hits the fan.
What we are witnessing is unprecedented (look at Bear Stearns deal yesterday)...now Fed issues a rate cut OVER THE WEEKEND!! Very rare.
Actually, if I had Gold right now I would definitely sell it and would not buy. Why? Buy low and sell high. Having had several years of experience in my past career in the financial services industry (not to say I'm an expert by any means, because I certainly am NOT!), to me the old adage I quoted (buy low sell high) is Investing 101. Same thing with stock....buy low, sell high. If had had extra cash now (other than the 20% we already invest in 401K) I would put it in the market. Stock is on sale now, especially if you have a 5+++ year window.

Regarding how to save money? Lots of theories on that one, but I would agree with others that regular investing into your retirement plan; not buying stuff on credit cards, cutting out a few things here and there can add up to more than you would think. These are just little things, but one thing we did years ago (5 years) was cancel our land line phone - it hardly ever rang anyway as most people called us on our cell phone. Also I quit getting my "nails" done (fake ones)...I treat myself occasionally with a manicure and pedicure. Eat home more often as others have said - think twice about driving anywhere, combine trips etc. etc. The problem though IMO is that it's a double edged sword - we certainly need to save (and not use credit so much), but the more all of us cut back, cut back, cut back....the longer it will take the enonomy to recover as the economic engine is fueled by spending etc.

We plan to do our part though with the economic stimulus $$$....we're buying a water softener for our new house!!!

One more thing before I sign off.....the media is creating a frenzy! We are not technically in a recession. A recession is defined by 6 full months of negative economic growth and we have NOT had that yet. Even if the economy grows by .1% that's an increase, not a decrease. Or, at least it was when I took math in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio