Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 07:55 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,864,302 times

Advertisements

In today's paper "another of the cable company's top executives said implementation of the program in San Antonio and Austin would be delayed until October, while Rochester and Greensboro would start this summer"
Me believes that this first swing at bat was just that, a swing and a miss, got everybody to look, now when we all think it's not gonna happen, they come along a few months later, and knock a homerun outa the park. Keep your eyes and ears open. They ain't outa the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 AM

361 posts, read 927,731 times
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5638/image00052.jpg (broken link)

Looks like Time Warner's profits really took a hit when they announced the "test" last month.

Given this, they would be idiots to insist on continuing with the stupid idea. They no doubt want to collude to get competitrs to do like airlines and have everyone do it all at once so they don't have to worry about losing customers and profits.

Let's hope the politicians are serious about passing legislation to keep TW frm doing it.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...mpaign_id=yhoo
Quote:
Time Warner won't broaden its testing of the plan "until further consultation with our customers and other interested parties, ensuring that community needs are being met," Britt said.
Yep they want to collude with competitors to get them to do the same so TW won't take this kind of hit again.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:54 AM

361 posts, read 927,731 times
Hate to bump after my own post, but the whole "backing away" is a complete LIE, people. They're still gonna do it at the same time they planned all along (late this year/early next year), but now they're gonna "educate" us on how it's for our own good to raise usage prices when bandwidth costs are falling and the taxpayers and not TW are paying for the new lines, as well as collude with rivals with the statement "other interested parties" recently released by them to get more rivals on board.

That way, WHEN they do it as planned, a tacit cartel agreement will be in place, more rivals will do it too, and they hope customers will just give up and accept what they did. They're stalling for time to cut off the public's means of escaping and searching for other choices free of caps, people. Open your eyes. The caps are still happening, but now TW is determined to make sure more people are gonna do it when they do it to prevent this sort of backlash.

If you were planning on switching to someone else, go ahead and do it. The cap is still coming, and maybe enough people going to rivals will deter rivals from signing in on TW's BS.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:04 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,319,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post
Hate to bump after my own post, but the whole "backing away" is a complete LIE, people. They're still gonna do it at the same time they planned all along (late this year/early next year), but now they're gonna "educate" us on how it's for our own good to raise usage prices when bandwidth costs are falling and the taxpayers and not TW are paying for the new lines, as well as collude with rivals with the statement "other interested parties" recently released by them to get more rivals on board.
I called TW yesterday and wanted to confirm what I just heard on the news about TW backing away from this horrible idea, about this is almost verbatim what they told me. I loved the use of the word "educate" as if we are all morons and cant really see what crapptastical move they are trying to do.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:24 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,509,482 times
They will "educate" me right over to their competitor...will leave for sure, and I am not even cetain that our use would exceed their ceiling...just refuse to deal with them even if it would NOT cost me extra!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,768,531 times
They never run out of antics:

Time Warner and Embarq can't compete with city-owned ISP, trying to outlaw it

Need more municipal ISPs... clearwire's WiMAX, Embarq Fiber, you name it... put Time Warner's shady cable company (at the very least) to rest!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:35 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,841,173 times
but bandwidth costs are going up!

oh wait, maybe not
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/04/time-warner-cable-earnings-refute-download-cap-economics-again/

Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 AM

11,581 posts, read 13,994,424 times
And here we go again!!

Time Warner to add Internet meters for S.A. (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/Time_Warner_prepares_Internet_meters_for_SA_custom ers.html - broken link)

Old 05-01-2009, 07:29 AM

161 posts, read 361,599 times
I am seriously in awe here about this. Do these people running this company have brains?

I'm tired of the FUD being spread by people tied to the industry. It's a huge attempt at social engineering by companies and research firms consisting of people in the industry. I'm convinced that the only way to keep these types of customer gouging from taking place is government regulation, as much as it kills me to say that. We've got no other options here besides AT&T, and even they are planning on doing tiered usage pricing.

It's a damn shame our city isn't doing something to protect its citizens from these companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio