Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 PM

27 posts, read 67,801 times

Advertisements

Folks

I lived in an apartment for almost 2.5 years. The first two years when I extended my contract due to my job nature, I requested to my apartment management to give me one month rent as early termination fees and they agreed. But the current contract they put 3 months rent as early termination fees.
I informed the apartment management that due to change in my work location, I will have to leave the apartment in short time but will be able to pay 1 month's rent. They obviously refused.
what are the consequences if brake the lease and leave end of the current month? what are the options I have to settle this one?

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 10:13 PM

336 posts, read 484,057 times
braking?

I'd recommend a ceramic disc brake for that: Less dust, light squeal and they run tons cooler.

If it's breaking you're after, I'd reread your TAA contract and see what they have you for. No matter what you say at the end of the day, if you have a signed contract with them, you're on the hook for whatever the paper stipulates.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:57 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,035 times
I guess you could just leave and assume that are some point they'll go to Small Claims Court over the amount. Is this a huge apartment management firm or a small-time rental? A mark may go on your credit report. It will take a while. I'd be sure to lease a new place as soon as possible.

Next time, read the lease carefully. I know life changes fast, so it's hard to imagine every possible scenario. Best of luck to you!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:02 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
You'll own the remaining balance that you signed because its always best to read any contract twice and never assume !!!!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Settle with them before leaving, even if it's on a payment plan. Don't let it go into court, because you'll not only lose, you'll end up with "hits" on your credit AND tacked-on attorney fees.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:30 AM

129 posts, read 154,252 times
Late fee penalties plus lawyer cost, court cost, as well as a hit on your credit report, you also lose the ability of using them (especially since you been there for 2+ years) as a rental referral source.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:41 AM

153 posts, read 198,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossjr79 View Post
Late fee penalties plus lawyer cost, court cost, as well as a hit on your credit report, you also lose the ability of using them (especially since you been there for 2+ years) as a rental referral source.

OP, you may wanna try and negotiate it down to 2 months early termination fee (versus 3 months), and ask for a payment plan. Have you tried contacting their Corporate Office? If you speak to the *right* person, they may work with you.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:13 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,358 times
Hey there,

I am sorry you are going through this, apartment managers can be very finicky and difficult to work with. In my experience, the best thing to do is to try and work things out with them in a calm and reasoning manner. If you try to fight them too hard, they can shut down and really cost you a lot of money.

Now I don't have your contract in front of me, nor am I an expert on apartment leases, but here is the jist of it.
- You are still responsible for your lease. Many apartment managers will make you pay the entire lease balance upon vacating your unit. They have the legal right to accelerate it, and call the lease due. However, if you work with them, they might be kind and let you pay month to month until the unit is released.
- In Texas, they cannot legally charge double rent. As soon as the unit is re leased, and the new tenant is paying rent, you are not obligated to further pay on the unit. If the apartment manager called your balance due, and you paid it, she is obligated to pay you back the remainder as this is still double rent.
- If you got any special concessions (a free months rent, etc), you will most likely have to pay them back.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 02-14-2014, 06:17 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4matt View Post
Folks

I lived in an apartment for almost 2.5 years. The first two years when I extended my contract due to my job nature, I requested to my apartment management to give me one month rent as early termination fees and they agreed. But the current contract they put 3 months rent as early termination fees.
M.

Do you have copies of the first 2 years lease that shows one month rent for termination? I would show that to the general manager and ask for them to honor it, or at least compromise at 2.

But its up to the GM. If your current lease shows 3 months, then thats what a judge would go with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio