Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:24 PM

229 posts, read 474,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post

I mean you cant get a house payment for under $100 a month anymore.. you could back then.. Things have changed a lot.. Yes we are all making more money then what we were back in the day.. but guess what? The percentage of what you were paying for items is more then what it was back in the day....

Are we talking about 1992 or 1892? I think you would have had a hard time finding a house for $100 a month in 1992.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 12:48 PM

4,440 posts, read 5,360,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
So when the price of consumer goods increases and you pay more sales tax even when the sales tax rate hasn't changed, is that a tax increase as well?
Kind of.

The poster is simply saying that the city is receiving more money than it ever has and that the rate doesn't need to be increased. Technically speaking if more money leaves my wallet for taxes than that is a tax increase. (even if the rate has not changed)

Old 07-01-2013, 03:19 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,181,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Kind of.

The poster is simply saying that the city is receiving more money than it ever has and that the rate doesn't need to be increased. Technically speaking if more money leaves my wallet for taxes than that is a tax increase. (even if the rate has not changed)
Yes, I get that. But you don't think the city's costs have also gone up during that time? That probably comes close to netting out, which is generally how that's supposed to work. This isn't the first time they've projected a deficit and the fact that they haven't had to raise rates is laudable IMO.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 AM

733 posts, read 1,048,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drraider82 View Post
^this. Property values just got jacked up across the board, so guess what? I get to pay more taxes! Just wait until the rate gets raised. It's coming and then people will be here trying to tell us not to complain.
taxes NEED to be raised. it works. look at the national economy. while not as fast a recovery as some want, it is still happening. raising taxes helps. texans have enjoyed low property taxes for quite some time. it wont hurt you to contribute an extra grand or so at the end of the year.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:51 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,414,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
taxes NEED to be raised. it works. look at the national economy. while not as fast a recovery as some want, it is still happening. raising taxes helps. texans have enjoyed low property taxes for quite some time. it wont hurt you to contribute an extra grand or so at the end of the year.
Raise taxes for what?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 AM

4,440 posts, read 5,360,590 times
Quote:
What you suggest we raise taxes to pay for? FYI is you think an extra grand a year will be a good thing ill gladly buy your envelope and stamp so you can send it in yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Raise taxes for what?
I have asked this question once so far in the thread and no one came up with anything.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 AM

112 posts, read 179,677 times
Quote:
Well, I'll give you this: your post made me laugh out loud. Our property taxes are ridiculous here. Another "grand" a year? No way- it's one of the top reasons we are selling and moving on. There are tens of thousands of local DOD employees getting ready for a 20% paycut the rest of the summer it appears. Lastly, the national economy is a MESS, but if you believe the "spin", great. All we have are jobs that pay so low you can't run a household and Obamacare hasn't even kicked in yet.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,803,129 times
The banter in this thread is hilarious! What are we raising taxes for? Sorry, I am not contributing a grand to anyone for anything in the near or distant future. Make cuts downtown and that might free up some monies.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,018,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
Are we talking about 1992 or 1892? I think you would have had a hard time finding a house for $100 a month in 1992.

I think everyone gets my point.. you may not have gotten a house under $100.00 per month but you weren't paying 1400 a month either.. the point being is .. the price of LIVING has increased while EVERYONE is being crunched in their wallet the pay increases are dwindling and what we are actually paying out of our wallet is more then what we did back in the day percentage wise. The way I look at it.. is if it smells like crap then it is crap.. don't try to blow air up my pants and call it a frill ride.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM

500 posts, read 970,903 times
Quote:
WOW!!

And you have to ask yourself "Why is this country in trouble"? And isn't it common knowledge that Texans enjoy LOW property taxes?

These people actually vote! Scary

BTW, you can "contribute" my extra grand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio