Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 44,257 times

Advertisements

So we're moving to San Antonio with a 160k budget. We have basically narrowed it down to three places and are looking for input on which area is best in regards to QUALITY building, resale, family-oriented, and location.

Dr Horton - Redbird Ranch (1604 @ Potranco) - NISD, Amenities include: recreational center with exercise room, dining room, meeting room, lap pool, and large children's pool. Also included are sport courts, a disc golf course, pavilion, playground, and extensive trail system. Starting price of homes in the Redbird Ranch Community range from 110-290k.

Dr Horton - Avery Park (New Braunfels) - Comal ISD, amenities include pool, splash pad, recreation center, playgound. Homes ranges in Avery Park Community range from 110-220k

Pulte - Fairhaven (Cibolo) - Schertz-Cibolo ISD, amenities include pool and playground. Homes range in Fairhaven range from 140-165k

Neither my husband nor I will be commuting to work so that will not be a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,632 times
Personally, I'd go with Redbird Ranch..higher priced home product planned for the neighborhood and those areas being built around it will be comparably priced...all new schools with 2 elementary's, a middle school and eventually a new high school built next door in Steven's Ranch over the next few years. Hwy 211 and its expansion will help to make the area more accessible over time besides using only Potranco Rd. and roughly a million square feet of retail planned at that 211/Potranco intersection. Briggs Ranch, just south of Potranco off Hwy 211, will have custom homes on the golf course priced close to 3/4 of a million dollars along with many homes in the 500K range on acreage homesites. All of this should help make the area prime for resale later, IMHO.

Maybe someone else can offer up some info and their take on the other two neighborhoods you're considering....

Old 11-03-2007, 06:43 PM

4 posts, read 14,552 times
Avery Park is located off Hwy 46, this is a somewhat rural area. There is some travel distance to shopping, not greater than 5 miles distance. Taxes are low.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:35 AM

330 posts, read 1,372,463 times
I'd go with Dr. Horton. You have to pay your respects to anyone with a postgraduate degree.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:48 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
I'd go with Dr. Horton. You have to pay your respects to anyone with a postgraduate degree.
Ha ha, I see what you did there!

Seriously though, are the new neighborhoods really building homes from 110-290? I would think long and hard about buying a 290K home in a neighborhood that also has homes for 110K. We haven't looked at any new developments, so I have no idea if this is what they do--I am just basing it off the OP's first post.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post

I might be misunderstanding this post. Are you referring to the name "Dr. Horton"? It's possible that Horton may have a postgraduate degree, but the name of the company is "D.R. Horton". It's very common for individuals to write the name as Dr Horton as did the OP. It's no biggie, unless it implies that the founder has a doctorate, when he may not.

I don't have first hand knowledge of either builder/developer. Don't rely on reports of "awards" and other accolades for any tract home developer. You need to understand their constructions standards, community planning and HOA's for each individual community.

Also....be very careful about the developer financing. They can be very creative to get you into a house. That doesn't always translate to your best interest. Just shop mortgages with reputable companies and compare those details with whatever your builder offers. Remember....they build homes based on short term (12 months) financing...in other words they are banking that their homes will be sold within that time period. If their inventory has to roll over into longer term financing, then it costs them a LOT more money. Sometimes that can be a great negotiating factor. Look for completed spec homes in those communities and ask their time line for each house. Some may try to side step that answer, but hold their feet to the fire and expect a straight answer. It also will help to have a pre-qualifying letter from a lender in your hand when you are out "shopping". They will be salivating!

BUYONE4U has a good point that taxes would be lower in Comal county. The schools are excellent there. If commuting is not a problem, you'd avoid a lot of traffic issues.....and if you want them, they won't be that far away!

Sapphire also makes a good point about not buying on the high end of their price range. That will hurt your potential sale for the future. That being said, it sounds like you are wanting mid range in those areas, so that doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Last edited by wCat; 11-04-2007 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-04-2007, 08:50 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
I think the Dr. Horton thing was tongue-in-cheek. At least that's the way I took it.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:33 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
Now we know where the D.R. comes from:

Donald R. Horton began his own construction business in 1978 in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:38 PM

6 posts, read 44,257 times
Thanks for your input. Looks like we narrowed it down even further. I think we're going with either the Pulte community in Cibolo (Fairhaven) or the DR Horton community off Potranco (Redbird). Of course we are open to suggestions. Avery Ranch in New Brunfels is just too far from everything (zoo, sea world, downtown, etc). We absolutely love the layout of the Pulte house in our price range and the convenience of the area. The only problem is that it is the most expensive house they build, which is never a good thing. As for Redbird, its has potentially great location and would put us in a midrange house, just not one we love as much. Redbird is about 5 years or more from being completed which may make it harder to sell. Plus with higher property tax, insurance rates, it will cost us a bit more to live there. Decisions, decisions...

As for "Dr" Horton" It was a simply typo. Seeing that we more likely going to buy a spec home due time constraints, I'm more curious with the quality of the builders in these two areas. We are obviously going to hire our own inspector when we purchase, but it will be after the drywall is up so a lot of things could go unseen.

Thanks again.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:25 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Now we know where the D.R. comes from:

Donald R. Horton began his own construction business in 1978 in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.
Could that be DONALD RONALD HORTON??? Sounds kinda like a Dr Suess type, doesn't it? LOL

NO HARM OR REFLECTION ON THE HOMES...just a funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio