Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,072,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I'd much rather be in the Helotes area during rush hour than over near Stone Oak. At its worst, traffic on 1604 northbound can get backed up from the Shaenfield intersection all the way back to where the Walmart is south of there. There are ways to avoid it, I either go outside to 1560 or usually just shift the hours that I work so I am out of the office by 3:00pm.

And that comment is compared to when we first moved into that area in 1999. We later left for three years (2002-2005) then came back and bought a house about a mile as the crow flies from our previous one. We were shocked at how much development had occurred during our absence, what is now Whitehorse was some nice ranchland and Braun Road outside of 1604 was a sleepy little two-laner to get to 1560!

Rush hour traffic is bad between Culebra and Bandera roads but as I said we use alternate routes off 1604 to avoid most of it!

Cheers! M2
I hear ya on Stone Oak traffic..no thanks! Reason I ask these things is that friends of ours are considering moving over that way, and I've experienced nothing but terrible traffic whenever driving on 1604 just where you mentioned. Mostly on the weekends. Glad to see that there are ways around this for the folks that live there. Does it add a lot of distance (wasting gas)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM

841 posts, read 1,754,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And that comment is compared to when we first moved into that area in 1999. We later left for three years (2002-2005) then came back and bought a house about a mile as the crow flies from our previous one. We were shocked at how much development had occurred during our absence, what is now Whitehorse was some nice ranchland and Braun Road outside of 1604 was a sleepy little two-laner to get to 1560!
You should have seen it in 1980, when my family first moved to the area off of Braun! When I was in school, they would close half of Bandera Road for the annual Cornyval parade. I seriously doubt they still do that. Back then, only one middle school was around to serve the area - Coke Stevenson, and we actually marched in the parade.

That said, although I like living in my current "old" (established 1925) neighborhood close to downtown, if I moved anywhere outside 1604 it would definitely be to the Helotes area.

Last edited by Montirob; 12-07-2012 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-11-2012, 01:40 PM

98 posts, read 346,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp5 View Post
Thanks everyone! I did see some nice houses in Iron Horse Canyon. I was just wondering if anyone could speak to living there?
My stepkids live there. Their mother and stepfather built a custom home. They used to live in Wildhorse. From what they've told me, it's very quite and they never plan on leaving. They absolutely love it.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:54 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,560,879 times
My sister and her husband lives in Helotes. Adobe Walls or Adobe Flats. Something like that. It is a nice community even though they had that horrible compost fire a few years back. My supervisor was going to build out there until I told him my sister would be his neighbor. He built his home on the Boerne Stage Road somewhere.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:17 AM

326 posts, read 683,717 times
Great, thanks!

Is it common for neighborhoods to have a pool or some type of "community" area? Where we are right now (MD) that seems to be the thing to do in all of the newer neighborhoods. When we were considering a move to NC that's what ALL of the new neighborhoods had. Large community centers/pools. I'm not familiar with the preference and style in TX. I know as a kid, my aunt lived in a neighborhood we'd go visit and they had a pool. But, that was many moons ago.

Thanks everyone!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:06 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,443,925 times
Many do, but not all. The neighborhood where we live doesn't have one.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 AM

And do people really get into decorating for holidays there? This is a very random observation of Las Vegas. We were on travel in Vegas and ventured off the strip near Halloween and were surprised to see how many homes REALLY got into Halloween. I'd imagine it's the same for other holidays. Here, for Christmas it seems sort of hit or miss. I wasn't sure...

Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Hit or miss here too. Some neighborhoods more than others.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Gotcha. I think that's more the norm everywhere too? People are SUPER touchy about saying "Christmas" here though. There?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Mostly everywhere is moving towards that, some places faster than others. Not so profound here yet, but you'll see more and more of that as the city diversifies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio