Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:36 PM

321 posts, read 1,070,240 times

Advertisements

We've lived here for eight years, in a gated community, and the most we've seen is a few vehicle breakins a year on people who leave their cars parked outside. This area is suburbia incarnate, but that's just what people who choose to settle here are looking for. The few high profile drug-related cases that have occurred have been blown out of proportion by a few well known anti-suburbia or anti-Stone Oak people on this forum. Everyone of my neighbors was disburbed by that news, but what can you do when a person with drug ties chooses to settle down amidst a sea of respectable white collar families with kids. I know very few people who own a weapon. The prevailing reason is nervousness about having kids in the house.

Perhaps the most compelling evidence for you that this area is a safe place is the many people, including lots of young women, that you'll see running alone in the evenings along Hardy Oak Blvd., Wilderness Oak and Stone Oak Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 AM

418 posts, read 1,240,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
I've had weirdos try to follow me home and stuff before (not in OC, but other cities I've lived in) so I'm very wary about the environment I'd be living in...
Yes, that is unique to some neighborhoods in OC due to super high profiling, monitoring, and fast response times. Even then, I've found that my female friends had a false sense of security about their home from their teenage years, and didn't realize that the stalking problem exists everywhere till they started going to bars etc..

In Bexar county, it is tough to find a safer urban/bar area than Stone Oak. You definitely don't need a gun.

That being said..
1. There are no areas in Bexar County safe enough to be running alone at night, male or female. There are some places in OC I can run safely.
2. Probably just like everywhere else, but more so here, try not to stay out at the bars past 1 unless you going home with friends. I feel safe in this city most of the time, but late night is pretty dangerous.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,189,179 times
I moved to Stone Oak from Orange County (Irvine) 6 years ago. This is by far the best neighborhood I've ever lived in. My neighbors in Irvine never spoke a word to me in the 5 years that I lived there, while my entire Stone Oak neighborhood socializes on a daily basis. I've never felt unsafe here, and the closeness of the community adds to the sense of safety and security.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:53 AM

584 posts, read 1,193,872 times
I have lived in Canyon Springs community (pretty much same area as Stone Oak) for eight years since moving to San Antonio. I normally feel safe in the area and if I am out late of course I am making sure to watch what is going on around me. I do hit the pavement around 4:30/5:00 am to go running and the only thing I really need to worry about is other runners that don't have lights on or the deer. I can say in the eight years I have lived here the area has grown which is great ... we never have to venture too far to get what we need. Of course you will here some good, bad and the ugly stories at times but as one posted said the biggest thing I hear about from my HOA is car breakins because people leave items in their cars in plain site and don't park in their garage.

Good luck on your move.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:01 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,562,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
That being said..
1. There are no areas in Bexar County safe enough to be running alone at night, male or female. There are some places in OC I can run safely.
All about perspective. I've often gone out running/walking in my neighborhood at night, alone (either for exercise after kids are in bed or coming home from a night out with friends) and I feel 100% safe. I'm always conscientious of my surroundings, because stuff can happen anywhere, but the area is well lit and I have no hesitation to do it. Just did last night at 11pm. I'm rarely out later than that, and I'd hesitate only because there are too many drunks on the road after the bars close, but not out of worry of attack.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:12 PM

417 posts, read 817,289 times
Yes, Stone Oak is safe. You will be just fine. Just like every other place on earth, be sensible in your choices - don't leave your door unlocked, get drunk around strangers, or walk around late at night by yourself (although in Stone Oak you would probably be able to get away with some of those behaviors even if you did do them).

Old 09-16-2012, 10:03 PM

4 posts, read 6,252 times
I agree with what poopycat states!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 AM

993 posts, read 2,492,635 times
There are easy things you can do to avoid becoming a victim....live in the Dominion....ahahaha...just kidding.

Just because some where is gated, doesn't mean crime will not happen behind the gates. Most apartment managers are lazy SOBs and will not fix a broken gate as promptly as you would like. Live on the top floor of the apartment building that you live in, and lock that door at ALL times. Get a garage for your vehicle, have outside lights that come on when it gets dark and that stay on until it is light out. Also have one light in your apartment on an automatic timer that will come on when it gets dark out. So it always "looks" like someone is home, even though you may not be.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 AM

170 posts, read 291,526 times
Safe(r) from crime? Yes
Safe from psychotic drivers? No

Old 09-19-2012, 08:48 PM

70 posts, read 168,235 times
OP, I am from your part of the world. Although I don't live in Stone Oak, I know it's a safe, new area and it reminds me of OC in many ways (safe, shiny, new, upscale, auto-oriented). Well, the good parts of OC anyway. Except as you noted the people are friendlier than in OC. The guy who posted that other thread was being deliberately provocative to make a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio