Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,107 times

Advertisements

The Neighborhood Association is NOT representative - last count was only 150 households out of 1000+ are members; it's an enclave group that is out of touch with most of the neighborhood; Board positions are rotated among a small group of people - some have been on the board for >20 years = not responsive to new ideas, suffers from "myopia" and generally functions as an "in group," though they will claim otherwise.
The Austin Hwy development has had a negative impact on the neighborhood all the way around - a lot of traffic from outside the neighborhood using neighborhood to cut through, increased crime spillover from the shopping center, etc.
If you are from out of state, the schools are very poor - AHISD is an Emperor's New Clothes kind of thing - no one wants to admit that the reason why students do well is not because of the schools, it's because the majority of kids are from wealthy families who have money to make sure their kids are "competitive." A lot of teachers grew up in Alamo Heights, so the insulated attitude leaks into the classrooms. Go visit their spring open house deal at the High School and look at examples of student work - "award-winning" essays and research projects hardly measure up to what you see in other high schools in San Antonio (I know 9 year olds that could do better). There are also a lot of stay-at-home moms who are so driven by the competition, they do their kids homework for them.
If you're looking for a good school district, go with Northeast or Northside - much more diverse, teachers with broad worldviews, lots of resources, more options for "fitting in." Alamo Heights is an enclave community, and with Terrell Heights considered the "step-child" your kids are treated like 2nd class citizens in Alamo Heights schools.
Don't let nostalgia over "cute cottages" be a deciding factor if you plan to have kids - Alamo Heights schools have an underbelly of drugs (I've seen both parents and kids at a Methadone Clinic where I worked), undeserved entitlement, and even families trying to buy off high school counselors in exchange for "transcript adjustments"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 05:34 PM

232 posts, read 380,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhileroc View Post
The Neighborhood Association is NOT representative - last count was only 150 households out of 1000+ are members; it's an enclave group that is out of touch with most of the neighborhood; Board positions are rotated among a small group of people - some have been on the board for >20 years = not responsive to new ideas, suffers from "myopia" and generally functions as an "in group," though they will claim otherwise.
The Austin Hwy development has had a negative impact on the neighborhood all the way around - a lot of traffic from outside the neighborhood using neighborhood to cut through, increased crime spillover from the shopping center, etc.
If you are from out of state, the schools are very poor - AHISD is an Emperor's New Clothes kind of thing - no one wants to admit that the reason why students do well is not because of the schools, it's because the majority of kids are from wealthy families who have money to make sure their kids are "competitive." A lot of teachers grew up in Alamo Heights, so the insulated attitude leaks into the classrooms. Go visit their spring open house deal at the High School and look at examples of student work - "award-winning" essays and research projects hardly measure up to what you see in other high schools in San Antonio (I know 9 year olds that could do better). There are also a lot of stay-at-home moms who are so driven by the competition, they do their kids homework for them.
If you're looking for a good school district, go with Northeast or Northside - much more diverse, teachers with broad worldviews, lots of resources, more options for "fitting in." Alamo Heights is an enclave community, and with Terrell Heights considered the "step-child" your kids are treated like 2nd class citizens in Alamo Heights schools.
Don't let nostalgia over "cute cottages" be a deciding factor if you plan to have kids - Alamo Heights schools have an underbelly of drugs (I've seen both parents and kids at a Methadone Clinic where I worked), undeserved entitlement, and even families trying to buy off high school counselors in exchange for "transcript adjustments"

Sorry but I have to call BS on this post. I live there and it is nothing like that.

BTW, the neighborhood has an association, not a home owners association that dictates. There are no association rules for the neighborhood.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:42 PM

4,331 posts, read 7,242,167 times
Since it's been three years since the OP's post, I would expect they have long since made a decision regarding their relocation.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:19 AM

905 posts, read 1,632,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhileroc View Post
I don't live in Terrell Heights but my kiddos are in the school system and I must say, you are way off base with what you wrote about the schools and the kids who attend the schools. The kids do well there because the culture in the schools is about "learning." Howard is incredible. My kids went to Cambridge which is a phenomenal school as Woodridge is as well. Now I have one in the Jr. school and one in the H.S. and both of them are just as impressive.
Yes, you are way off base about the schools, including your comments about drugs..

Old 10-16-2014, 06:25 PM

5 posts, read 6,840 times
I just moved to Terrell Heights in September, but I love my duplex. The street is quiet - and I'm just one street off of Austin Hwy! Lots of mature trees and gorgeous sunshine. The area is highly walkable. My street has 1950s duplexes in good condition. I don't have children so I am not familiar with the school district.

Last edited by lorienjohnson; 10-16-2014 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Noticed the age of the topic, and removed info only relevant if OP was still seeking current data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio