Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM

31 posts, read 56,919 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I was on the brink of getting a transfer to the austin area when the opportunity changed to san antonio. I have done massive amounts of research on austin but none on san antonio. We are a bi racial family with 3 young kids(1,3,6) We are looking for housing in the 170-180k range and schools are very important. I will be tranfering to a job and my wife will be looking for work as a social worker. I would appreciate any input as far as what areas should we be looking at. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,247,430 times
If your job is inside San Antonio city limits, I wouldn't recommend living in the outer suburbs (Shertz, Spring Branch, Bulverde, Helotes, New Braunfels, etc.). That is unless you like long commutes, or smaller town living. One could argue San Antonio is a very large suburb, especially outside of Loop 410.

There are plenty of desirable and relatively affordable areas within city limits. As stated in other threads, Alamo Heights, Northside, and Northeast ISDs are the most desirable school districts in the city. You'll probably be able to find homes in your price range in the Northside & Northeast ISD districts. What kind of amenities are you looking for?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:37 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,619,405 times
I don't know where you're from, but San Antonio doesn't have what I consider a normal city set up, i.e. a small downtown core called "San Antonio" which is then surrounded by lots of suburbs. Basically San Antonio is one big city with lots of neighborhoods, rather than a small city surrounded by suburbs.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:44 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Although old the https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html thread is a good place to start as far as areas of the city.

For your wife check with websites such as Nonprofits Resources, Job Listings, and Nonprofit News for Texas | TANO, Texas Non Profits - Building Community Deep In The Hearts Of Texans, SAMMinistries - Overcoming Homelessness : San Antonio, TX, http://www.havenforhope.org, and of course the state depending on what field she is in. I've seen a few jobs pop up at The Center for Health Care Services as well. Oh and The BexarNec June 2011 Archive by thread has job postings every once in a while.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 AM

584 posts, read 1,193,409 times
Not knowing where you will be working, if you will have a flexible work schedule for commuting and what distance you consider far for a commute could be questions.

I live in Canyon Springs which is behind the Stone Oak area of town. Yes traffic can be a pain in the butt at times but it has greatly improved since the completed the 281 SuperStreet and the Blanco Road expansion. You will see other posters that say the SuperStreet was no improvement at all but I beg to differ.

Canyon Springs subdivision (many communities) feeds into NEISD and Comal ISD depending on which community you live in. I don't have children but I hear that they are both good schools.

I live in the Coves @ Canyon Springs and I personally would not think twice about a bi-racial family and that is sad that you really have to think about something like that in this day and age. I know that my neighbors would not think about it either. As long as you are a good family, take care of your home then that is what we look for in neighbors.

Good luck with your move and finding the perfect location to live in San Antonio.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:08 PM

31 posts, read 56,919 times
We are coming from milwaukee. And that is how it is where it is inner milwaukee surrounded by the suburbs. Thanks for the info so far. I'm not a big fan of a commute more than 30 minutes and I'm more than happy to stay in the city limits as long as there is a good school system. As far as housing we'd be looking for a 4bd 2 bath at least 2000sq ft. Would that be possible in the 175k range in a good area of the city?

Old 06-03-2011, 02:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
I guess "good area" is a relative statement. There is a house on my street that is 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath (2350 sq ft) for $125,000 (built in 1984). I would say I live in a good area but it appears the in thing is to get as far outside of 1604 as possible in brand spanking new subdivisions.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:33 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
The suburbs of southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois are a bit different than the San Antonio area. I have a friend who moved here from Kenosha (and I moved here from Twin Lakes way back in the late 80s). She mentions frequently that it catches her off guard that places like Castle Hills, Shavano Park and Alamo Heights are all still really "in San Antonio" but still part of the city whereas like Kenosha and those areas are all commuter type of areas.

That being said, areas that may be worth looking for you are areas outside of 410 but inside (or slightly outside) 1604 between 90 and 281. That will include the Northside and Northeast school districts and many options as far as neighborhoods. Most of these are still in San Antonio proper. An area that is not San Antonio proper that might be an option (but still NISD or NEISD) might be Castle Hills, but others such as Fair Oaks, Shavano Park, etc are probably out of your price range. Like another poster mentioned, you will be able to find a decent home in that price range. Just a quick search on Realtor.com should help a bit.

Once an area is narrowed down holler at us and we can tell you a bit more about the area you are looking for.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:43 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,736,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Once an area is narrowed down holler at us and we can tell you a bit more about the area you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio