Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 09:29 AM

952 posts, read 2,634,576 times

Advertisements

moving into a rental home that does not come with a garage door opener - we would have to purchase one ourselves that could set us back between $130-$200+

When purchasing one, must we know the garage door measurements??
It is a 2 car garage.

Property management is not being helpful, they simply said they do not know the measurements of the garage door.

But I just wanted to know is the measurements information vital to us when purchasing a 2 car garage door opener or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 18,413 times
Yes it is somewhat important as the size of the door would affect whether or not the opener you purchase can lift if. If I were you I'd just grab a tape measure and measure it. MOST garage doors are between 8 feet and 10 ft wide and 8 or 9 feet tall.... but it's a simple thing to measure.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM

993 posts, read 2,491,119 times
Hollywood Crawford fixed our garage that was giving us problems for months.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:32 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Also, you need to know whether it's a metal or wood door - makes a difference. You DO need to know that if you install it, they CAN make you leave it when you move, plus you will be liable if there's any damage caused either by the installation OR the opener. Many lower-end garage doors will NOT function with an opener because they're so lightly built that the force of the door opening mechanism will bend them!!
As far as measuring...all you really need to know is whether it's a single or double car garage....

Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
You will also need to have an electrical outlet in the garage ceiling near where the opener "head" will be mounted.

I have a double-wide metal sectional overhead door on my garage. I replaced the opener myself about twelve years ago with a lower-end 1/2 horsepower opener. It's still going strong today. I didn't realize the measuremments, door material, etc. mattered, in most cases. The opener I bought claimed it worked with all doors. Of course, you want to make sure the door springs are properly adjusted.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,378 times
as for replacing the opener and entire garage door....what would that cost on average, anyone know?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:16 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
We got one for our home from Lowe's...they have the models on display and the display tells you which one is right for your garage. The installation was on special for $99. They had a contractor come out and do it and he did a good job. Be sure to buy the lubrication spray for the tracks...helps keep things runnings smoothly.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:29 PM

431 posts, read 765,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
as for replacing the opener and entire garage door....what would that cost on average, anyone know?
door anywhere from $400- $1000
they do have tax incentives

install opener 100-150

Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,888 times
Default Resedential

I need to know how to readjust the open force prior to to open and close limit on the opener box. I don't want to have the garage door fall on my girl by accident.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:45 AM

282 posts, read 341,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedback75 View Post
I need to know how to readjust the open force prior to to open and close limit on the opener box. I don't want to have the garage door fall on my girl by accident.
Most new openers have adjustment knobs/screws on the back of the motor unit to adjust up and down force. Old openers you were kind of playing this adjustment game to make sure the opener was applying enough force to open or close the door but not enough to injure a child, animal, or whatever the door might come down on. Modern openers, for about the last 10+ years, come with electric eyes that have to be installed about a foot off the floor at the door opening. Anything breaking the beam will cause the door to reverse to an open position or not operate at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio