Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 AM

285 posts, read 869,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
id take it if the offer is good enough.

chingau! thats insane! i pay 575 a month for 1100 sqft in the historic area near downtown san antonio. im close to everything i need. nothing is more than a few miles from my location (78209 zip code)

you heard wrong. stay away from the south/east/west sides if you value your posessions. if you move to the north sides, get a good car alarm and home alarm. the crime rate is probably lower here vs atlanta, but it DOES exist here and despite reports claiming otherwise, its on the rise. just watch the local SA news or read our online paper. the vast majority of violent crimes come from the south/east/west sides of town.

safe sides of town - northwest, north central, northeast. anything else is at your own risk.

traffic probably isnt nearly as bad as atlanta. we have 4-6 lane highways all over town, making commutes a lot easier (im from austin where the main highway was 2 lanes in each direction. dont ever move to austin).

all i can say is, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be responsible and dont drink and drive. San antonio has a huge DUI problem that is meeting a lot of 'cultural resistance' and those that do it refuse to stop or educate themselves until they kill someone and end up in prison.
Hi, can you tell me a little more about this historic area near downtown with affordable housing? Where would one go to find rentals in that area? Also, are there a lot of townhomes and single family houses for rent - or mostly just apartments?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 7,710 times
Hello San Antonio! I flew in about lunchtime and have been out and about till now. Wow! The city is much larger then I expected and is really spread out everywhere which is different then what I'm used to, but change is good. I got a rental at the airport (which is kinda small for the size of the city, but is really nice) and started exploring. I literally used half a tank of gas just driving around! I drove all the city via I410 and liked what I saw (for the most part). San Antonio has different areas that are REALLY different from one another. From there I got off at San Pedro ave and visited my new office and my new boss lol. He gladly took me around the town from there, using my gas haha. I saw many more nice parts of the city then not-nice parts, and don't think we just stayed on the northern side of town. It seems like a prospourus city with a lot to offer to it's residents. The downtown is...small. Nice but small. My new boss and I went to Mi Tierra and wow! Mexican food from SA is the best thing ever! So for my first day in the city, I really liked it and am looking forward to making it my new home. I'll post up my notes from my weekend daily. Thanks again everyone for your advice!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,627,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyslp View Post
Hi, can you tell me a little more about this historic area near downtown with affordable housing? Where would one go to find rentals in that area? Also, are there a lot of townhomes and single family houses for rent - or mostly just apartments?

Thanks!
sorry for the late reply

hit up broadway @ hildebrand. head towards downtown on broadway and keep your eye to the left side of the road. pretty much every street leading off of broadway going towards downtown is small rental houses / quads, some apartments.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 PM

97 posts, read 150,698 times
I'm in SA now too. The weather was crappy today. Earlier this week it was perfect per my friend.

Stupid high (or is it low?) pressure stuck in the middle of america causing this overcast humid bs. lol

Do you mean downtown is small in terms of the skyline or the footprint? If skyline, then yes, it's pretty weak compared to the size of the city. But ground level can't be beat!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:55 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,627,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatSA View Post
I'm in SA now too. The weather was crappy today. Earlier this week it was perfect per my friend.

Stupid high (or is it low?) pressure stuck in the middle of america causing this overcast humid bs. lol
welcome! enjoy the humidity! what you felt was a typical texas summer day!

get lots of thin clothing that breathes a lot, because nice days can be rare here.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
welcome! enjoy the humidity! what you felt was a typical texas summer day!

get lots of thin clothing that breathes a lot, because nice days can be rare here.
The humidity is nowhere as bad as Houston or Miami.

And I've spent enough time in San Antonio to know nice days aren't rare.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Just did a little research.

Average sunny days:

San Antonio: 220 days

Atlanta: 217 days

Houston: 204 days

Old 05-20-2011, 09:20 PM

I enjoy the heat much more then the cold. SA is perfect for that! @LookingatSA, yes I meant the skyline. I'm sure at foot-level it's better but we just went to mi Tierra and didn't see much of downtown.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakelivingston11 View Post
I enjoy the heat much more then the cold. SA is perfect for that! @LookingatSA, yes I meant the skyline. I'm sure at foot-level it's better but we just went to mi Tierra and didn't see much of downtown.
Yeah, the skyline is something I wish would improve as I believe it's a representation of a city.

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:00 PM

After this weekend, I'm very glad to make SA my new home. San antone is truly a cool town with extremely friendly people.
Saturday, I was just apartment shoppin for most of the day and found a very nice one that's only about 15 mins from work and along my price range. Saturday night I went to Ivy Rooftop lounge and had a great time without drinking. I didn't go back to my hotel room alone! Anyways, what happens in SA stays in SA lol. Today I did some more driving and exploring but not in highways, more in town. Traffic really isn't that bad compared to atlanta so that's great. One thing that surprised me about the city is that is has no light-rail line! That's a first. I never really use the MARTA in ATL but I always know that it's there just in case. Unfortunately SA doesn't have a light-rail line, but oh well.
As a whole, San Antonio really surprised me. It's a very large city with the slower pace of life. In my opinion, the city is very underrated. I think there's soooooo much potential here! Well anyways it's going to be my new home and my mind is now at ease. I was really nervous about the move but now I'm thinking 'bring it on!' Thanks everyone for your help!

But I did have a couple questions. When I was here, I couldn't find a hip-hop station! I'm sure the city has one right? And HEB... Is that the only large food store other the wal mart? Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio