Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,627,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
When I lived on the north side, my apartment and vehicle were broken into a total of five times in eight years. I had to move to a different area so I could sleep at night. Nothing has happened like that at my house on the southwest side. I have no idea how the apartments out here are though...I think it's apartments on any side of town that are risky.
criminals generally dont rob people in the neighborhood they reside in; they go to the nice areas (the north sides) and rob them!

/had a 1994 acura integra broken into 4 times on the NW side before i sold it
//the 4th time, i got a plate number, as i caught the punk in the act.. and guess what side of town he lived on??
///i did a lookup on the plates and it came back to a southside address
////i love publicdata.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,920,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakelivingston11 View Post
I recentely got a really good job offer in San Antonio and I'm kinda nervous. But it's an offer that I'd be dumb to pass up, especially in this economy!

Rent(the biggest thing on my mind!)- Here in Atlanta, I pay $900 a month utilities included. It's nothing fancy but it's nice and in a nice location. How's the price of renting in SA? Should I be expecting to pay more, less, or about the same for a nice one bedroom? And location. Job is going to be on San Pedro Ave north of I410. Under an hour commute would be great!!!
Working in that area, you should look into apartments outside of 1604 on 281. A newer apartment will have an air conditioner in good condition, so you'll save on utilities even if your rent is a couple hundred bucks more than an older complex. Also, if you have a nice car the newer complexes are better because more people in them have nice cars and will be more careful of yours.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
criminals generally dont rob people in the neighborhood they reside in; they go to the nice areas (the north sides) and rob them!

/had a 1994 acura integra broken into 4 times on the NW side before i sold it
//the 4th time, i got a plate number, as i caught the punk in the act.. and guess what side of town he lived on??
///i did a lookup on the plates and it came back to a southside address
////i love publicdata.com
I don't care where the criminals live, since I am not going to associate with them wherever they live.

I care where the crimes happen.

Maybe the reason people's houses don't seem to get broken into much out here is because everyone assumes everyone else has a gun.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:17 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,627,941 times
Quote:
I don't care where the criminals live, since I am not going to associate with them wherever they live.

I care where the crimes happen.

Maybe the reason people's houses don't seem to get broken into much out here is because everyone assumes everyone else has a gun.
thats an awesome way to convince people to move to the southside:

'hey move down here! were full of criminals with guns!'

cheers!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:20 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,836,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakelivingston11 View Post
I recentely got a really good job offer in San Antonio and I'm kinda nervous. But it's an offer that I'd be dumb to pass up, especially in this economy!

Rent(the biggest thing on my mind!)- Here in Atlanta, I pay $900 a month utilities included. It's nothing fancy but it's nice and in a nice location. How's the price of renting in SA? Should I be expecting to pay more, less, or about the same for a nice one bedroom? And location. Job is going to be on San Pedro Ave north of I410. Under an hour commute would be great!!!

the city itself - From the things I've heard, SA isin't all that bad on crime. I'm keepin my fingers crossed! But at the same, Im from Atlanta, so not too many cities can compare lol. I love Atlanta and even though the rate is declining, it is kinda bad on crime! What are the "safer" parts of San Antonio? Just curious.

traffic - My comute from work to home is about an hour and that sucks! How is traffic like compared to Atlanta? I have a car so i don't really use public transportation.

nightlife! - I'm into the more upscale clubs and lounges with the more young-professional atmosphere. And the girlfriend didn't work out so I'm newly single, that's a plus!

Really any advice about the city would be appreciated. Thanks!
I'll send you a DM regarding San Antonio. Unfortunately, we lived there for 3 years.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,567,726 times
Given your work location, Stone Oak could be a viable living option if you prefer suburbs. Another option is downtown/southtown. Commute would be short from downtown, and probably reasonable from SO.

re: education - the reason it appears SA is "uneducated" is because we have a ridiculously high school drop out rate amongst our teens. That's a huge problem, indeed, but we also have a significant population of educated migrants. If you came to a party at my house, you'd think everyone in SA had advanced degrees (MD, PhD, Master's). We do know people without advanced degrees, but as we'e made the majority of our friends through work and nieghborhood, most tend to be very educated. So it's all relative. If you're an educated young professional, you're likely to meet more of the same.

Crime - there is crime everywhere, but yes, some places are worse than others. we live in Southtown and really never worry about it, are happy to walk home at night with no issues.

Others have commented on costs. Overal COL is low here, so it should be easy to find a decent place in a comparable price range. Good luck with your move!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:11 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,140,433 times
Quote:
Nothing has happened like that at my house on the southwest side. I have no idea how the apartments out here are though...I think it's apartments on any side of town that are risky.
I hear you Hedgehog_mom! I lived on the Southside for 4 years in a apartment complex. Nothing happened with us either.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
thats an awesome way to convince people to move to the southside:

'hey move down here! were full of criminals with guns!'

cheers!
Oh, I don't want to convince anyone else to move out this way until they build another HEB anyhow...

But saying that the northside is better because all the criminals live on the southside and go commit crimes on the northside isn't very logical. What's better, to live where crimes are happening, or to live where they aren't? I don't live the kind of life where I'm likely to get in a violent fight, so the only crime I'm really worried about is property crime, and there's less of it here.

I grew up in San Antonio and the whole time I was growing up, my mother went on about how anywhere outside of the northside, you weren't safe going outside after dark. It turns out it was just another stereotype.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:17 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,496,678 times
Don't live inside loop 410 on the northside unless you're close to downtown. I used to live on Blanco, West Ave., and San Pedro just inside and just outside loop 410. Those areas aren't desirable. You can usually judge by the schools in the area and Lee is one of the worst high schools in NEISD. I would suggest the apartments north of Churchill on Blanco. I've heard the ones around Churchill have gone downhill. I would also recommend the apartments on Henderson Pass near 281. It would be less than a 10 min. drive to work.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 AM

Lots of crime at the apartments on Henderson Pass.

I would suggest Blanco at 1604...or the ones on Gold Canyon rd outside 1604 are really nice too and the commute wouldn't be a big deal. I've looked at these before:
Sendero Ridge and they were very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio