Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:24 PM

46 posts, read 120,369 times

Advertisements

I know it might be out of style, but I love well prepared pork belly. In Dallas there is the French (something), forgot the name. French Room? Heard some good reviews about it, but is there somewhere local to SATX? That may be comparable to Dallas (the reviews are over the top)? I've never eaten there so I don't know how good it is.
I am really picky about pork belly. The best I have tried was in Atlanta - they got their chops from Benton Farms that had a really nice smoky flavor and the topping was subtle and did not overpower the natural flavor of the pork.
I know it doesn't sound good, nor is it healthy, but it is worth it if you have not tried it. If you like bacon, you would love pork belly. Promise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasells1 View Post
I know it might be out of style, but I love well prepared pork belly. In Dallas there is the French (something), forgot the name. French Room? Heard some good reviews about it, but is there somewhere local to SATX? That may be comparable to Dallas (the reviews are over the top)? I've never eaten there so I don't know how good it is.
I am really picky about pork belly. The best I have tried was in Atlanta - they got their chops from Benton Farms that had a really nice smoky flavor and the topping was subtle and did not overpower the natural flavor of the pork.
I know it doesn't sound good, nor is it healthy, but it is worth it if you have not tried it. If you like bacon, you would love pork belly. Promise.
Ay Curamba!,...that sounds good,..I'm gonna keep an eye on this post!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 AM

53 posts, read 114,410 times
The Monterey on St Mary's

Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogi View Post
The Monterey on St Mary's
Have you had it? If so, could you describe the experience? Thanks.

Found the info on it (and the reviews were favorable as well):

The Monterey
Category: Gastropubs
1127 S St Mary's St
San Antonio, TX 78210

Hours:
Wed-Sat 4 pm - 12 am
Sun 11 am - 5:30 pm
Accepts Credit Cards: Yes
Price Range: $$
Attire: Casual
Good for Groups: Yes
Good for Kids: Yes
Delivery: No
Waiter Service: Yes
Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
Outdoor Seating: Yes
Good For: Dinner
Alcohol: Beer & Wine Only

Review I found on the Pork Belly:
"The pork belly had a nice honey crisp skin that enveloped the meat; served with almonds, the first bite is definitely one that will keep you coming back for more. Once inside the belly dish, the meat melts on your tongue, providing a lingering taste of well prepared pork belly. Kudos on this one... "

Now, I'm hungry.

Last edited by chasells1; 12-08-2010 at 07:21 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 08:31 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,512 times
Benton's doesn't sell chops to the best of my knowledge.

With that said, Monterey serves both Benton's bacon and pork bellies (different provider).

Old 12-08-2010, 08:32 AM

948 posts, read 1,842,509 times
Hit up BenjaminNicholas here on this board. He's been plenty of times. I definitely gotta try that and the bone marrow. They do get their bacon and I'm assuming their pork belly from Benton as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Benton's doesn't sell chops to the best of my knowledge.

With that said, Monterey serves both Benton's bacon and pork bellies (different provider).
i know. bad choice of words. But, yes they have excellent cuts of bacon and pork bellies.
So really? Benton's is a great start. I can't wait to try it.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:08 PM

915 posts, read 1,904,512 times
Again, pork bellies are a different provider. Benton's is a source for bacon and cured/uncured hams.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:42 PM

Jwebtx,

Wait, did Benton's quit selling pork bellies? Last I checked, they were shipping them all over the States. I will be passing by in 2 weeks. Only 10 minutes out of the way. Have to find out. Maybe get some of that delicious bacon.

We're talking about the same place, right?
Benton's Smoky Mountain Country Hams
2603 Highway 411, Madisonville, TN 37354

I am definitely going to Monterey's on the news that the pork belly is from Benton's. But I won't be able to go until after Xmas. And I am torn between the Bone Marrow dish, which I have only heard great things ...

Old 12-10-2010, 02:01 PM

The called me at Monterey's today. Confirmed. Pork Belly is ordered from Benton's. Now I definitely have to try their version as they have the most incredible bacon and pork belly I have ever tasted. Can't wait to try the Monterey's version and I will also be trying the Bone Marrow served on crostini.

Great suggestion on Monterey's.

Oh, I found their menu. Much less plates than I would have expected, even though I know this is seasonal.

http://themontereysa.com/menu/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio