Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:45 PM

546 posts, read 3,105,907 times

Advertisements

The Mulberry house is very cool for sure, BUT it's Art Deco (with Streamline Moderne attributes), NOT Mid-Century Modern. I used to drive by this house quite often when I lived in Monticello Park and was really taken by it, but I really think they're asking way too much for that particular neighborhood and square footage (and that location, right across from a school football field as I recall -that's a big "no thanks" in my book - just my two cents.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:59 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,584,906 times
Hey- I don't know much about MCM, but saw this house in 78209 today and thought it looked like a screaming deal (especially if you're concerned with schools too!).

The address is 722 Olney Dr., 78209. 3/2 with 1800 s/f for $125K.

I don't think I can post the link here but google the address and I'm sure you'll find it. No remuddling to undo!

Old 11-22-2008, 06:33 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,316,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
The Mulberry house is very cool for sure, BUT it's Art Deco (with Streamline Moderne attributes), NOT Mid-Century Modern. I used to drive by this house quite often when I lived in Monticello Park and was really taken by it, but I really think they're asking way too much for that particular neighborhood and square footage (and that location, right across from a school football field as I recall -that's a big "no thanks" in my book - just my two cents.).
Yes, it is a little too expensive for the economy right now but a year or two ago it would have been a good deal because of the original Art Deco style and condition. The school yard or huge well maintained field is a big plus and the school is now a private girls school. You can see people walking their dogs, playing with their children or flying kites in the field. It looks like a park in front of your house and the view is nice from atop the hill... not to mention that it adds some privacy to your home... just my two cents.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:38 PM

546 posts, read 3,105,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
Hey- I don't know much about MCM, but saw this house in 78209 today and thought it looked like a screaming deal (especially if you're concerned with schools too!).

The address is 722 Olney Dr., 78209. 3/2 with 1800 s/f for $125K.

I don't think I can post the link here but google the address and I'm sure you'll find it. No remuddling to undo!
Yep, it's MCM alright, the butterfly roof (one or two gables sloped toward the middle) AND the flat roof are hallmarks of MCM..and yes, it's a good deal for sure. It isn't in AHISD though, but in NEISD, thus it's lower cost. And yeah, the remuddling has thankfully been kept to a minimum - dig that door (has to be original to the home)!

FYI: For more mid-century doors like this, check out the Austin company Crestview Doors, they're a very small company that just began to manufacture these types of doors again. They pretty much have a monopoly as far as MCM doors go. MUCHO COOL:

Crestview Doors - Austin, TX - Front doors for mid-century modern houses, 1950s ranch homes, ramblers, or new construction

Old 12-18-2008, 03:44 PM

142 posts, read 339,224 times
Mmmmm, mid-century modern is a rather elastic term and means many things to many people. The architects of the period practicing in San Antonio were many: O'Neil Ford (probably the best known); Harvey Marmon; Ed Mok; Bartlett Cocke, Milton Ryan, and many more, all of whom were modernists in their day. The San Antonio Chapter of the American Institute of Architects has new and old guidebooks, probably still for sale, with listings of residences and the dates when they were built. Director: Torrey Carleton, currently in the Finesilver Building but moving soon to the Pearl Brewery complex. If by "mid-century modern" you mean houses designed by architects and not by homebuilders, you will find that they are scattered all over inside Loop 410, but most would be concentrated in Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills and Olmos Park with a few in Northwood and probably some other places. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:27 AM

874 posts, read 2,895,151 times
For those who are interested in mid-century modern, The Blanton Museum of Art in Austin has an exhibition right now that you might want to check out: Birth of the Cool. Haven't been yet myself - saw an ad for it when we were in Austin last weekend.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:37 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,374,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal744 View Post
......If by "mid-century modern" you mean houses designed by architects and not by homebuilders, you will find that they are scattered all over inside Loop 410, but most would be concentrated in Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills and Olmos Park with a few in Northwood and probably some other place.......
Most MCM's are going to be inside the loop because that's where the development was during that period. With a few exceptions....Hollywood Park,
Shavano, Callaghan and Vance Jackson area.....all were starting developments in the 50's and even late 40's.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,566 times
I bought the house on Olney in April and it is indeed a great house! It was kept in great condition. We're in the process of painting the walls and making it our own. Very happy!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:23 PM

915 posts, read 1,905,271 times
We used Crestview doors on our MCM ranch and love them. Unfortunately (for me), they always shoot me e-mails for sales now that I have all the doors I will need.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:43 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,620,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by august1974 View Post
I bought the house on Olney in April and it is indeed a great house! It was kept in great condition. We're in the process of painting the walls and making it our own. Very happy!
I know I'd love to see pictures if you have them anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio