Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 03:04 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,204,028 times

Advertisements

I like Costco for their natural/organic/recycled products. I get the recycled paper toilet paper and paper towels and don't have to fill 70% of my grocery basket at HEB with them. I also get laundry detergent, dryer sheets, other things that are non perishable. I also buy the dog food, dog poop disposable bags and sometimes sodas. My mom got a great deal on ibuprofen, mens tshirts for my dad and some clorox.
I live near Potranco/151 and go once a month to the 10West/UTSA location. Rumor was from a Costco rep at a local pet expo is that they are looking at land near the far west side for building another location in a year or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 03:55 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,843,196 times
While I fully support a Costco membership for anyone, don't let tires be the deciding factor in doing that. It's true that Discount Tire will match anything out there and all of the 'discounts' that Costco is offering are actually just rebates direct from the manufacturer. Almost ALL tire places will offer you these deals if you know or ask.

Highly recommend looking into Discount Tire first. While I didn't have a great experience at the one near 281/Evans, the location on SW Military was incredible to me.

BN

Old 11-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,320,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
Discount Tire will often match Costco or Sam's pricing if you ask them.
Costco's tire pricing includes installation, road hazard warranty and lifetime nitrogen fillups. Most discount places charge extra for both of those, if they even have nitrogen.

Last edited by Bo; 11-17-2010 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: Had my elements wrong... nitrogen, not hydrogen. :D

Old 11-11-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
... if they even have hydrogen.
Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment: Consumer Reports, as well as most mechanics know that hydrogen fill-ups are hogwash. It's been proven to be almost totally indifferent to regular compressed air. Sure, the molecule is larger, thus perhaps a BIT less air loss over time, but fuel savings and less wear on the vehicle? Nope. Never proven.

I didn't know that Costco included the roadside warranty. That's pretty impressive.

BN

Old 11-11-2010, 09:17 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,868,246 times
I have worked in the tire/wheel industry for awhile now. Previously worked for Discount Tire.

I work directly with engineers from Michelin, Bridgestone and Goodyear in my current job.

I brought this question up with them in the past as I was curious about using this to fill up my own tires and they have stated that the use of Hydrogen or Nitrogen in place of compressed air will increase the life of your tire but not by much.

So go ahead and do it if you want to get a little bit more milage but only if it is free. Save your money if they will charge you for it.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:33 PM

944 posts, read 2,052,343 times
Definitely off topic as far as tires go, but, does anyone know if Costco has any sort of cornbread mix available in bulk on a regular basis? I'm particularly in love with Marie Calendar's cornbread mix, but Sam's only has it every now and then and I haven't seen it in a long while.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:44 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,204,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
Definitely off topic as far as tires go, but, does anyone know if Costco has any sort of cornbread mix available in bulk on a regular basis? I'm particularly in love with Marie Calendar's cornbread mix, but Sam's only has it every now and then and I haven't seen it in a long while.
Costco is supposed to according to MC's website: Marie Callender's Gourmet Products - Delicious Cornbread Mixes, Biscuit Mixes, and Recipes! The Costco icon is on the bottom.
Argh, now I want to make corn bread fried chicken!
You can always call Costco to save you a trip (if no one on the forum knows) but I've called before and no one ever answers the phone. At least my experience with the 10 West/UTSA location.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM

16 posts, read 32,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post

i can confirm the one is selma almost always has the marie calendar's mix. i buy it often

Old 11-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,320,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
So go ahead and do it if you want to get a little bit more milage but only if it is free. Save your money if they will charge you for it.
Good info. I've seen places charge $10/tire to fill new tires with nitrogen.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Good info. I've seen places charge $10/tire to fill new tires with nitrogen.
Wow, now THAT'S highway robbery. I cannot believe that folks would just agree to that without doing a little research.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio