Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times

Advertisements

This is the grand opening weekend for the new Alamo Drafthouse theater in Stone Oak. It's in front portion of the the shopping center anchored by Target on 281 at the intersection with Stone Oak Parkway and TPC Parkway.

It's nice to see SA getting more movie options!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:40 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,434 times
I'm glad their franchise is expanding, because they give me the opportunity to see a lot of the cult classics on the big screen. Most I could watch at home, but the big screen really makes it that much more enjoyable...oh and the great beer selection

I am right down the street from the Park North location, and while it's nice and snazzier than Westlakes...it isn't as cozy and worn in like Westlakes. I prefer the atmosphere out in Westlakes.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,851 times
yes my friends. It's all about the beer.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:27 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times
Meh. What the Drafthouse WAS and what's it's become since Tim and Karrie League sold it are two very different things. Gone are the truly interesting events, director Q&A's, employees with a true love for movies, etc. Based on my last two visits to the newer Park North location, they have children running the place and could care less about anything other than the bottom line.

I agree that the original San Antonio location is probably the best in terms of environment. It's not a multi-plex monstrosity, has great employees and is proud to be the anti-Santikos. I like that.

Back when Drafthouse was an Austin-only invention, you could never imagine one going up in something as stucco as Stone Oak. I guess times change, but I have a feeling that as Drafthouse continues to expand, their creativity in offering something truly different to the market dies just a little more.

BN

Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Meh. What the Drafthouse WAS and what's it's become since Tim and Karrie League sold it are two very different things. Gone are the truly interesting events, director Q&A's, employees with a true love for movies, etc. Based on my last two visits to the newer Park North location, they have children running the place and could care less about anything other than the bottom line.
Informative post. That explains why the Park North location seems kind of sterile and ordinary. I had expected there would be film-centric events happening there all the time. I figured if there were events, they weren't very well-publicized. I guess they just aren't happening.

As far as I can tell, it's just a multiplex with table service and premium-priced food. I'm assuming the Stone Oak location will be more of the same. Oh well... at least it will help reduce the crowds at the theaters I like in North Central SA.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Informative post. That explains why the Park North location seems kind of sterile and ordinary. I had expected there would be film-centric events happening there all the time. If there are events, they sure aren't very well-publicized.

As far as I can tell, it's just a multiplex with table service. I'm assuming the Stone Oak location will be more of the same.
I fear you're right. *sigh*

I remember the good ol' days in Austin... The 'butt-numb-a-thon' movies, Tarrantino regularly coming in to introduce and talk about his films, opportunities for local filmmakers to showcase. The Drafthouse really did a good job at tapping into the local cinephile and keeping them entertained with something other than the latest craptactular Tom Cruise flick. It was anti-establishment and it worked.

BN

Old 11-04-2010, 05:46 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Informative post. That explains why the Park North location seems kind of sterile and ordinary. I had expected there would be film-centric events happening there all the time. I figured if there were events, they weren't very well-publicized. I guess they just aren't happening.

As far as I can tell, it's just a multiplex with table service and premium-priced food. I'm assuming the Stone Oak location will be more of the same. Oh well... at least it will help reduce the crowds at the theaters I like in North Central SA.
Is Park North fully built out? I thought they had some problems due to the economy and it wasn't fully completed.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:21 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times
I understand the "niche" appeal of the Drafthouse cinemas, but truth be told, it's going to be nice having a movie theater closer to me than Northwoods is right now. Color me a stupid lemming, but I'm gonna like it, I'm sure.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Is Park North fully built out? I thought they had some problems due to the economy and it wasn't fully completed.
I think what we see now was in the initial planning: From the get-go, the press material always said 7-screen theater.

One more thing I will say against Park North is their soundproofing in the theaters: Atrocious. I went to see a movie there a few weeks ago and had to feel the bass reverb from the theater next to us (I think it was 'the Facebook movie'). It was incredibly annoying and even after complaining, they didn't do a thing to fix it.

BN

Old 11-04-2010, 10:06 PM

796 posts, read 3,049,403 times
I attended one of their soft openings on Tuesday. They didn't have their pub tables yet. The waiting area is smaller than the other 2, but there is more seating with benches against the walls. I spoke with the manager (I think that's who it was) of the Park North and Stone Oak locations. I told him how I was disappointed with the Park North location compared to the Westlakes or Austin locations as far as fun things that the theater does. He said Stone Oak will have more stuff going on......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio